Subject: 1854: Seeing official clarification about hexes D18 and D20 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 1854 for the first time recently and greatly enjoyed it. We were able to piece together answers to most of our rules questions based on the re-reading the manual and a few threads here on BGG. However, we had remaining questions about hexes D18 and D20, as the development of those hexes is extremely important with regards to how valuable the local companies are.

The questions are:

1) Are there any restrictions on tile placement on hexes D18 and D20?

2) Are there any restrictions on tunnel placement on hexes D18 and D20?

3) If the answers to questions 1 and 2 are "no," that means it is possible for D18 and D20 to be in a state in which it will not be possible to legally place a green double-city tile in it. If this happens to one or both tiles, there will be at least one (and possibly more) Localbahn AG company which will be unable to place a home station on the map. What should be done with the local companies that are trying to form it in this case?

4) If there are no green tiles available for placement in either D18 or D20 when Localbahn AG companies can (or must) be formed, what happens? What should be done with the local companies in this case?

In our game, we followed some of the rule suggestions here on BGG that simply forbid the placing of tunnels over D18 and D20. This felt satisfactory to us and it did not hamper our enjoyment of the game. However, we'd still like to know if there is an official ruling on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or one tunnel only as some people are playing.
Maybe an Email to the original publisher will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffyevil wrote:
Or one tunnel only as some people are playing.
Maybe an Email to the original publisher will help.

Thanks, we did think of the one tunnel possibility but it seemed to increase the chance there was no appropriate city available by quite a bit. I could see it working in most cases though.

I believe one of the Lookout reps frequents the forums for their games here on BGG, but I will email them in a couple days. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
So emailing Lookout Games led to great success! I got a response from Leonhard himself, and his suggestion is basically the same as what we did (and what many others suggested on the forums here):

"It is true that placing tunnels on hexes D18 and D20 could lead to the situation that Lokalbahn AGs are unable to start. The following rule should be added: No tunnel tiles may be placed on the black bordered hexes D18 and D20."

Sounds good to me and thank you Leonhard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.