Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Adding character classes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is rough so input or thoughts are welcome.

Background: I still want the main focus to be on normal survivors/the settlement, but I thought it would be really cool to occasionally have something like a White Speaker or Forsaker or even Twilight Knight. This would give a reason to use some of the great models in games. Perhaps even ones like the People of the Dragon or Sunstalker Priests could make the odd appearance if for example they got lost from their own settlement and joined another they found. Is there much interest in that?

Mechanism: I had considered something like a chance to get one if you get a savior, perhaps with additional innovation requirements, or as part of random hunt events. That requires a fair bit of balancing and extra rules, would be cool for some of them. But to get started I had an idea for just the White Speaker and Forsaker that requires the least amount of home made rules.

Basically when you get to the point of maximum understanding and do the White Secret, if you subsequently gain another understanding point after you will get another one of the 4 possible benefits of the story. And a third understanding will give you the last one. This way you have a character that is boosted in abilities to the point where it can be called (at least by your settlement) a White Speaker, it is stronger, and uses stuff that is already in the game plus it is not easy to get (white lion exploit aside).

The same could be done for the courage story to gain a Forsaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
This is rough so input or thoughts are welcome.

Background: I still want the main focus to be on normal survivors/the settlement, but I thought it would be really cool to occasionally have something like a White Speaker or Forsaker or even Twilight Knight. This would give a reason to use some of the great models in games. Perhaps even ones like the People of the Dragon or Sunstalker Priests could make the odd appearance if for example they got lost from their own settlement and joined another they found. Is there much interest in that?

Mechanism: I had considered something like a chance to get one if you get a savior, perhaps with additional innovation requirements, or as part of random hunt events. That requires a fair bit of balancing and extra rules, would be cool for some of them. But to get started I had an idea for just the White Speaker and Forsaker that requires the least amount of home made rules.

Basically when you get to the point of maximum understanding and do the White Secret, if you subsequently gain another understanding point after you will get another one of the 4 possible benefits of the story. And a third understanding will give you the last one. This way you have a character that is boosted in abilities to the point where it can be called (at least by your settlement) a White Speaker, it is stronger, and uses stuff that is already in the game plus it is not easy to get (white lion exploit aside).

The same could be done for the courage story to gain a Forsaker.

Sounds pretty cool to me, but balance is a big issue here. IIRC, Poots said somewhere that even the saviors' powers were to be nerfed on the new game's iteration...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think flavor-wise a mechanic where survivors which reach a certain level of hunt exp could graduate into a character class would work better than tacking it onto survivors.
My take on it is:
The class would be fixed and dependent on a special "mini" campaign i.e. People of the Forest (druid), People of the Abbey (Knight), People of the Lake (Cleric), People of the Ash (Mage) etc. The settlement represents a group of survivors who have made their home around the site where the character figures used to call their home. Some time after it fell due to XYZ (Drawing the ire of a Great Entity for example). They'd be carrying on the traditions of the classes without really knowing why or what they stood for. In addition to having access to their class each settlement could also have unique craftable gear. The classes would grant special abilities and unique synergy with the special gear. While weaker than the saviors in raw power the classes would be backed up by an experienced survivor. The 25 year campaign would have an open end to it. Once you've completed each characters People of the X campaign there could be an 25+ year campaign ala lantern festival where each of the peoples meet and exchange culture. You combine all of the settlement resources, survivors and innovations and continue on to complete the finale of the campaign against perhaps the Great Entity which originally felled the peoples' settlements. You'd have a massive starting advantage and an uber settlement, but you're setting out to kill one of the gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty fun, but, yeah, I'm not sure how much you need past the maximum XP's.

However, something I've considered is seeing what can be done to break the campaign apart. Having played a ton, something I've realized is that I don't feel a 25 year campaign is all that necessary- I'm thinking 1st and 2nd half 10-15 year ones. With the former, that's easier, introducing new time limits and a variant boss, but doing a shorter, hard things-focused campaign could be a cool way of integrating classes like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

However, something I've considered is seeing what can be done to break the campaign apart. Having played a ton, something I've realized is that I don't feel a 25 year campaign is all that necessary- I'm thinking 1st and 2nd half 10-15 year ones. With the former, that's easier, introducing new time limits and a variant boss, but doing a shorter, hard things-focused campaign could be a cool way of integrating classes like that.

Thats actually another separate idea I have been playing around with as well and something I was eventually going to make a different thread for. The idea of a short campaign is pretty cool. I think that there is a bit of a gap appearing in KD at the moment where most players are not really reaching a lot of the mid-high end stuff while some are playing it so much that they are getting there a lot, but of course every time wading through the first 10ish years which can get a little repetitive. My thought was along the lines of players pick any monster they want (including expansions) to be the focus of their campaign, and it lasts something like 10-15 years with the final boss being a level 3 (or 4?) version of that monster. I have no idea yet when you are normally equipped well enough to be able to tackle a level 3 (with a good chance of losing of course) but my thinking was to provide a few years of double resources and/or double innovations to allow settlements to build up their stuff fast but then all of a sudden you have to fight a level 3 as you final boss. It allows the players that don't usually get that far or don't fight that difficulty monster to experience the high level stuff with a shorter and faster paced campaign.

Anyway... You might have slightly different or similar thoughts for ideas on that. Characters would indeed work well with that.

@Shu1984, yeah balance is what I am struggling with which is why I thought using mechanisms already in the game but allowing you to get multiple benefits rather than just 1 wouldn't be too over the top. We actually just finished a session today where we tried it with the White Secret event and had 2/3 of the benefits. The survivor (who also had multiple stat boosts, fighting arts and other abilities) got slaughtered by the first Kingsman nemesis fight. I think that if you end up with a lot of powerful survivors it can make the game easier but at the same time it is always easy for a survivor to die for something minor and if you restrict the number and make it hard to get then its ok. It will be very interesting to see what saviors look like in 1.4 since I really think they are balanced as is but I know it is possible to exploit them. I see this as a way to sometimes be able to tip a fight in your favour by having a character that has unique abilities jump in and add some variation/flavour to your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, unless I were thinking of some sort of radically altered boss, then my approach would also be going against a slightly modified, high-level quarry, that comes to you- and this latter part is where I think things get more reliable- I actually think that the level 3 hunt is a large part of why my group never tackles them, rather than the fight itself being too hard. I think the big question is how to make those first several years not repetitive-- I think pacing will definitely be key.

Re: the gap, yeah, I've recently made the analogy to the Fallout series, where the scrappy parts are, to me, more exciting than once you're awesome and exploding everything with your mega-super-custom plasma obliterator. And similarly, my group's gotten pretty good at the game, and we can pretty much expect to have at least two very nice armor sets by the end, and it's just not a very threatening boss any more. The art with the barely equipped, panicking survivors is what I love, not, like, four murderers in plate mail or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmb
Interesting ideas! If the objective is a short but sweet campaign, maybe the survivors can choose to hunt to quarries in one hunt, and the boss like nick said can be a modified version of one of the quarry, imagine a lion using the fairy ring and the razor bulbs trait whistle

Just throwing some ideas, I'm sure you guys can come up with awesome variants !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien Fortin
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Pretty fun, but, yeah, I'm not sure how much you need past the maximum XP's.

That would be a really nice idea...

and it would help run quicker campaign for people, like me, who can only play it once every other week...

I might suggest something in the lines of the 7 sword masters ( a fixed number of character) and maybe 3-5 quarry and a boss... or 2 quarry, mini-boss ( butcher, kingsman, slenderman), 2 quarry and then big boss ( level 3 or legendary quarry like the dragon, sunstalker, tyrant)

There could be a couple of rolls on different tables to give each survivors a different set of attribute bonuses. weapon proficiency and equipment...

I'm just throwing thing in the air... but I really like this idea...

Keep me posted if you ever work on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.