GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.07

7,747 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Sadbench
United States
flag msg tools
My gaming group recently started playing the Shadow Rune campaign and so far we've found it a bit rough and unsteady. The intro took them almost 2 to 3 times longer than any previous group I've played with, I didn't read the errata for Castle Daerion (so- poor, poor Sir Palomon...), and while they did just beat Cardinal's Plight, it was a significant slog and lasted longer than was interesting. They're enjoying the game, but getting a bit fed up with the scenarios we're playing. I just discovered the existence of Heirs of Blood, and the internet seems to agree that it's significantly better than Shadow Rune, so I'm wondering if it would be better to just scrap this campaign and start over with Heirs of Blood. That being said, my group is a bit hesitant to give up on all the hard-earned items and experience they've hoarded, so I thought I would ask you lovely people of BGG (who are significantly more Descent-knowledgeable than I) if there would be significant balance issues if my heroes were to just start Heirs of Blood with all their same items and xp. Would the heroes end up too powerful? Would the starting scenarios be too easy? If that idea doesn't work, any other suggestions to keep my players interested in Descent?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend against that. I`m not expert, but I played both as OL. the original one was my 1st so I did stupid things (being my 1st time OL as well) but Heirs of blood was amazing.

I think that if you start the campaign at the level quest you were, or close to it, it wouldn't be so bad. and maybe choose "results" at random, but you would miss of playing great quest and the story telling of it. Trust me you can tell your group, they WONT regret it. HoB is amazing! much better carry from one quest to the next; better balance... I absolutely lOVE it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If your group plans to play Descent for a longer time, I would actually suggest finishing that campaign. My group (all first time Descent players) liked it, although there are several quests that are not very well balanced. Including the errata is mandatory.

From what I get from your post, I am not sure if Shadowrune is the problem or it is Descent in general. Would be sad to give up the campaign just to realize that the system is not for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Null
msg tools
Shadow Rune has an epic finale that almost makes up for the bad first act. Second act is not too bad either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Shadow Vault (one of the first interludes) is a slog. If you wind up playing it, be sure to set aside sufficient time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:
The Shadow Vault (one of the first interludes) is a slog. If you wind up playing it, be sure to set aside sufficient time.

It really is. But if I was to play it again (as the OL) I would not throw all my reinforcments into the longwinding road again but try to prepare some hard hitting ambushes in the more wider areas.
Mor interesing and perhaps not such a slog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mira Barbian
Germany
flag msg tools
In my opinion the Heirs of Blood campaign is definitely more difficult for the heroes, with no need for the overlord to make too much effort.
I like the fact that there is a lot of storytext but it is a real challenge for the heroes to play Heirs of Blood without losing too often. So Shadowrune is less frustrating for the heroes if they are already having a hard time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.