Hide
3 Posts

Chu Shogi» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules for Lion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evert Jan Karman
msg tools
When reading the rules for the Lion on the English wikipedia I had some trouble understanding it. I don't know why anymore, but while reading through it and asking for help, I made another text that at least I can clearly understand myself. Although I would not suggest that this would be a proper replacement, perhaps it may be of help for other people.

===========================

All below mentioned rules also apply to the promoted kirin.

Movement

The lion can take one orthogonal or diagonal step in any direction up to twice per turn (only one step is also allowed). It can continue after a capture on the first step, potentially capturing two pieces per turn. It can change directions after the first step, so that it can reach the squares that a knight jumps to in Western chess.

As a consequence, capturing a piece and returning to the original square is thus allowed and called igui.
Stepping and returning to the original square is allowed and called jitto, but jitto is only allowed if at least one adjacent square is vacant.

The lion can jump anywhere that it could step to on an empty board; that is, anywhere within a distance of two squares, except for the square it started on, as jitto is only possible if at least one adjacent square is empty. This is equivalent to jumping in any of the eight diagonal or orthogonal directions, or making any of the jumps of a knight in Western chess.

Lion vs Lion

A lion can always capture a lion on an adjacent square.

A lion cannot always capture a lion on a non-adjacent square, below the situations and criteria are described for making the capture:

If the non-adjacent enemy lion is unprotected, it can be taken. Protected or unprotected in this context purely means whether the own lion can or cannot be immediately recaptured on the next turn.

If the non-adjacent enemy lion is protected, it can only be taken if the own lion (within the same turn) first captures another piece which is something other than a pawn or a go-between. (As a consequence, this other piece must be adjacent to both lions before the capture.)

Lion vs Non-lion

A non-lion can always capture a lion, with one exception following now:
When a non-lion captures a lion, then on the next turn it is forbidden for the opponent to immediately recapture a lion with a non-lion (no counterstrike with a non-lion) (*).
Recently the Okazaki rule states that the counterstrike with a non-lion is permitted if the target lion is unprotected.

A lion can always capture a non-lion.

===========================

(*) This prohibition does not apply when a kirin takes a lion and then promotes to a lion, and the opponent intends to recapture that promoted kirin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice summary of the lion rules.

I was not aware of the recent "Okazaki rule" adopted by the Japanese Chu Shogi Association. It is some time since I last looked at the Wikipedia Chu Shogi page. Does anyone know when the Okazaki rule was introduced?

Note that the movement and capture rules for the lion are identical in the other large classical variants with the lion piece (Dai, Tenjiku, Dai-Dai, Maka-Dai-Dai, and Tai Shogi). However, the tedious special rules preventing trade of lions only apply to Chu Shogi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evert Jan Karman
msg tools
Meanwhile the wikipedia text has been improved greatly on comprehensibility, making my above post irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.