46.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Josh R
United States
mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was having trouble getting around someones armor and thought that I would counter it with just placing -1/1 counters on it. I have cards in disease that does this of course, but my opponent said because Orpal Gloor's text says that he 'deals damage' in the form of -1/-1 runes it would be prevented due to armor. Can anyone clarify for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh R
United States
mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Of course after hours I think I randomly found the answer.

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/codex-disease-spec

"A 2 cost unit that can attack for 2 is already good for a starting deck card, but she can do better! Not only does she give -2/-2 to what she attacks, but she also ignores armor. A 2/2 with 1 armor from the Squad Leader patrol slot would normally survive getting attacked for 2, but not against Poisonblade Rogue because of her armor piercing. "

This basically confirms that yes, armor blocks -1/-1 tokens if the 'damage is dealt' in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Fedora
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Yeah, the easiest way to think of it is in terms of the damage chits. Armor prevents the card from being given damage chits, so it doesn't replace the damage with -1/-1 chits until you're actually dealing damage to the card itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Orpal has multiple different abilities that can put -1/-1 runes on things. The abilities (of Orpal and other cards) that "deal damage in the form of -1/-1 runes" are blocked by armour, because armour blocks damage. Everything that isn't damage (spells that put -1/-1 runes, Orpal's maxband ability, Plague Lab etc) are unaffected by armour.

Oh, and just as a vaguely related topic: note that deathtouch does kill things even when it's just hitting armour, but the reminder text for deathtouch explicitly mentions this: "Combat damage this deals to units or heroes, even to their armour, kills them."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Burns
msg tools
teknolaiz wrote:
Of course after hours I think I randomly found the answer.

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/codex-disease-spec

"A 2 cost unit that can attack for 2 is already good for a starting deck card, but she can do better! Not only does she give -2/-2 to what she attacks, but she also ignores armor. A 2/2 with 1 armor from the Squad Leader patrol slot would normally survive getting attacked for 2, but not against Poisonblade Rogue because of her armor piercing. "

This basically confirms that yes, armor blocks -1/-1 tokens if the 'damage is dealt' in that way.

No, it doesn't. In fact, it confirms the opposite. The card being talked about in that description is Poisonblade Rogue, which has (or, more precisely, can gain) Armor Piercing-- a specific ability that ignores armor. This is in addition to the ability to deal damage in the form of -1/-1 runes. If damage dealt as -1/-1 runes ignored armor, then the armor piercing ability would be redundant and unnecessary. Therefore, we can conclude that damage dealt as -1/-1 runes is blocked by armor unless another ability (like Armor Piercing) would allow it to ignore the armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Armor absorbs damage, and runes aren't damage unless a card explicitly says so (for example, Poisonblade Rogue, which "deals damage in the form of -1/-1 runes"), so the runes stick. And because runes directly reduce health/attack, the unit would die immediately.

Relevant stuff from the rulebook:

Page 18 (Core Set Rulebook)
Quote:
+1/+1 and -1/-1 Runes
These adjust the ATK / HP of the unit or hero they are on. Units or heroes with 0 or less HP die immediately. +1/+1 and -1/-1 runes destroy each other if they would go on the same object.

Page 19 (Core Set Rulebook)
Quote:
Armor
Armor absorbs damage before HP and is then destroyed. (Note: the Squad Leader’s armor refreshes each turn.)

Armor isn't HP, so it's normally unaffected by runes. Except in the case of Orpal and similar cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools

Quote:
Armor
Armor absorbs damage before HP and is then destroyed. (Note: the Squad Leader’s armor refreshes each turn.)

Does this imply armor normally doesn't refresh? I've been playing this very wrong if that's the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrownedGod wrote:

Quote:
Armor

Does this imply armor normally doesn't refresh? I've been playing this very wrong if that's the case.

I don't think there are (m)any units or heroes that have armor permanently; most effects that grant it wear off at end of turn (e.g. Dinosize).

Is there a specific card or interaction you're wondering about?

edit: Found a ruling for Ironbark Treant in FFA:
Quote:
In a free-for-all game, if one opponent deals enough damage to remove some or all of his armor, but not kill him, he will have 2 new armor on the next opponent's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.