Signorie» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do I have to do one of the 3 actions after taking the die? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some rare cases where I don't want to do one of the actions but use the helpers. For example if you choose the gender assignment tile, you can use it without changing anything. Sometimes you are not able to do one of the actions. So it is not allowed to take the die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulebook page 5 wrote:

He can only take a die if he is able to place it on his Player Board (i.e. the corresponding Action slot is
empty and he pays the cost, if necessary). He must choose an action to perform, and can only choose an action that he
is actually able to perform completely. He must then perform the chosen action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shinkyo wrote:
There are some rare cases where I don't want to do one of the actions but use the helpers. For example if you choose the gender assignment tile, you can use it without changing anything. Sometimes you are not able to do one of the actions. So it is not allowed to take the die?

Yes if you can't perform the action you can't take the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules. That wasn't exactly my question. I wonder why it is not consistent. If there are the gender change tile I could choose it and turn one man into one man again and does not change anything. But all other actions are not possible without some more requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
shinkyo wrote:
I've read the rules. That wasn't exactly my question. I wonder why it is not consistent. If there are the gender change tile I could choose it and turn one man into one man again and does not change anything. But all other actions are not possible without some more requirements.

If you've read the rules then why are you asking the question, the rules very clearly answer the question you asked.

As for why the rule is written as it is, you'd have to ask the designer. If you don't like the rule, you are free to play with your own house rules.

I've played the game around 10 times and I've never seen a situation where someone wasn't able to perform an action. In any case, you always have the option of not taking a die at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

I've played the game around 10 times and I've never seen a situation where someone wasn't able to perform an action. In any case, you always have the option of not taking a die at all.

I kind of remember a situation where someone wanted to perfom only what the helpers did, so it can come up. I think it's there in the rules to punish poor planning, because if you're playing well it's not going to come up much.
Also I think it's there to clarify you can't just take a die and not pay for it and then not do an action (I guess very rarely you would do that to deny someone something)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
sfox wrote:

I kind of remember a situation where someone wanted to perfom only what the helpers did, so it can come up. I think it's there in the rules to punish poor planning, because if you're playing well it's not going to come up much.
Also I think it's there to clarify you can't just take a die and not pay for it and then not do an action (I guess very rarely you would do that to deny someone something)

Thanks! That's exactly what I meant. In very rare cases you only want to use the helpers or you cannot use one of the action. The yellow or purple die is always possible, take money or throw the white dice. Also the gender change tile is always a valid action if you have at leasr one man or a woman. Changing a man to a man or woman to woman should be ok. But I wonder why I'm not allowed to take the die on the right if I have no money and no meeples to do something (allignment or walk up the bar/book). To take no action is weak anyway why should it be not allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.