Subject: Is it the best of its kind for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so excited for Cry Havoc that I will definitely get it! I was curious though whether it shines in 2-player games and whether there are games similar to it better for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
My board game experience is limited so I can't really compare it to other games, but as a stand alone product, it's not too shabby with 2 players. Aside from the Humans' Scouting skill, it's still mostly balanced. I've won with all three factions in 2p games, and likewise I've also lost with them.

BUT, the game is much better with 3 players. You'll experience a whole new game that way. I REALLY hope I can try out the 4p mode in two weeks when some friends come over. I can't imagine how awesome the game is going to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I was hoping this would be best at 2, but also pretty good at 3-4.

I think it is best at 4, but still pretty good at 2-3 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
I was hoping this would be best at 2, but also pretty good at 3-4.

I think it is best at 4, but still pretty good at 2-3 .

I think it is best at 4, and basically unplayable at any other player count. There are MUCH better 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for 2, I would rather play Nexus Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:

I personally don't like Nexus Ops with 2. I think it is best with 4, then 3. At 2 I feel it is too lite, whereas with more players, I don't care that it's lite as I feel it keeps the game moving at a nice pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I'm so excited for Cry Havoc that I will definitely get it! I was curious though whether it shines in 2-player games and whether there are games similar to it better for 2 players.

I think Cry Havoc is solid at 2-4, sincerely, but what made it special was pushing to make it work with 3 and 4, as so many conflict games tend to focus on two players.

I don't know a game exactly like it, but Twilight Struggle also uses cards in multiple ways and is, you know, utterly fantastic. In fact, there are so many good two player games (arguably my favorite game player count) that if you're looking SPECIFICALLY FOR TWO that Cry Havoc is good, but not Best in Class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

I personally don't like Nexus Ops with 2. I think it is best with 4, then 3. At 2 I feel it is too lite, whereas with more players, I don't care that it's lite as I feel it keeps the game moving at a nice pace.
The FFG version has tighter board variations for 2, and I feel like the things it is missing (such asymmetry and more interesting combat) don't really matter or feel like they are missing with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I got to play twice in two player tonight. It's been a long time since I got to play -- I spend so much time demoing and teaching. I was reminded of a few reasons I like it so much in two player:

1. It's crazy quick. We played two games in an hour. Total. Once you know what you're doing, it's super fast.

2. Because it's so quick, you can really learn and experiment with factions and strategies very quickly. I was doing all sorts of nutty stuff with Transform for the Machines. Very very fun.

3. In two player, you can really dictate how your opponent needs to play. There's no table politics or diplomacy. Very much move, counter move, end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
HerrohGrant wrote:

1. It's crazy quick. We played two games in an hour. Total. Once you know what you're doing, it's super fast.

Mine still take a whole hour! Lots of thought and 2-person banter going on. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.