Frostgrave» Forums » General

Subject: Possible to Play with a GM? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only really just started looking into this game and haven't got as far as reading the rules yet (so this might be a silly question) but does anyone think it would be possible to run a campaign with a Games Master of some sort?

If I get round to playing this it'll be with a group of around 5 players. I thought maybe implementing some sort of games master role might be a way of helping mitigate against swingy luck. Or it could be used to have more story elements/events kicking off. Has anyone tried anything like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great. But I guess you'd have to be a bit inventive since it's not in the rules.
Also how would those players be organized. As a single warband where everyone plays 2 Figures?
Or 5 different warbands and the DM plays the neutral monsters?
As a combat-system for a rpg it's to deadly IMHO. A Crit usually kills instant (of course after the fight you roll on the injury table).

There's a solo-campaign as pdf out (I think it's 'dark alchemy'). Thats 1 Player (or maybe group of players) against the AI. Maybe you could convert the AI to a DM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can but it's not necessary so it would seem kind of boring to the GM for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
The great thing about this game is how easy it is to convert it to do whatever you want. The game engine is very simple, and makes it easy to customize.

I think a linked campaigned with a DM and several players with their own full warbands would be fun. The DM would play the creatures and any "NPC" warbands, and the players would play as a team together -- with some possibility of backstabbing at some point.

Could be really fun. You could also have a rule that the wizard and apprentice are harder to kill, and if they die, have it happen at a plot-appropriate heroic moment. Which is to say, the "kill" rules might only be "turned on" for boss fights -- otherwise, re-roll killed results.

Sounds like fun to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
You can but it's not necessary so it would seem kind of boring to the GM for me.

Generally speaking, I quite like acting the part of GM in roleplaying games. For Frostgrave I thought it could be kind of neat to have a player setting up each battlefield, so that it feels more like a specific location rather than mutually agreed upon terrain placement. There could be the potential for events tied to specific locations - traps, secret doors, NPCs, etc. The monsters could be more dynamic than the built in AI.

Probably not as fun as being an actual player but I've always enjoyed that kind of role.

But yeah, it'd be a case of making sure there's just enough stuff for the GM player to do without it being boring and without over-shadowing the actual players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could... but I just don't understand why you would want to be a GM of a game that is as self sufficient as Frostgrave...

maybe you are looking for a more asymentrical experience? Like Descent?

Or a tabletop RPG GM where you are unbiased? Why not play 5e?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a simple system Jim. Really Frostgrave is a Mordheim: City of the Damned clone but without the burden of having to buy specific miniatures. You just proxy in whatever D&D type minis you own.

My 9yo budding DM has read Frostgrave: Thaw of the Lich Lord and he says it's really good. We've also mapped out the Kingdoms surrounding the doomed city and have had some fun with setting up the city... I'm trying to convince him to run it for us like an RPG. We'll see if we can find the time...

Frostgrave has just enough fluff to get you going but a lot of space for imagination.

Edit... This is a pic of a HAVOC: Tactical Miniature Warfare game. We use the same stuff for Frostgrave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph McCullough
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
One of these days I would like to write a Game Masters Frostgrave campaign, I just haven't had the time yet. I think it would be easy enough to do. The great thing about is that you can introduce a bit more narrative to the game, by withhold information to the players until conditions are met (like you have to read the runic stone before you know which statue is the living one that can point toward the lost treasure of...) Also, it would allow for the use of more complicated bag guys like spellcasters that the AI system has difficult with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey Games wrote:
One of these days I would like to write a Game Masters Frostgrave campaign, I just haven't had the time yet. I think it would be easy enough to do. The great thing about is that you can introduce a bit more narrative to the game, by withhold information to the players until conditions are met (like you have to read the runic stone before you know which statue is the living one that can point toward the lost treasure of...) Also, it would allow for the use of more complicated bag guys like spellcasters that the AI system has difficult with.

Get cracking!

I've started reading through the rulebook now and I'm looking forward to painting up my first Frostgrave miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
I guess you could... but I just don't understand why you would want to be a GM of a game that is as self sufficient as Frostgrave...

Because Frostgrave is lean enough rules-wise that you can pretty much run an RPG campaign, using the miniatures game rules for exploration, encounters, and boss-fights.

Wouldn't it be cool to play an open-ended Frostgrave campaign, where the scenarios were linked together based on your decisions and creativity of a GM? Cooperating with other players to achieve victory over the course of a unified, yet open-ended series of adventures?

I think it's a grand idea. For those that don't necessarily want more story out of the game, that's fine, too. But for those that do - and have the time - I say go for it. The system is straight-forward enough that you can house rule anything not covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but to be frank theres already a plethora of awesome rpg systems out there where you can use mini's to fight...

all good i guess i am just less creative

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group runs it campaign style, with the rule system We created found in files Section below it allows the individual war band Soldiers to also level up. Each game one of the players creates the gameboard lays out terrain writes a story and a scenario.

I have posted A couple scenarios In the file section that I have written. We try to have it themed Each area . Usually around one magic schools so that scrolls, and magic items from that school will be found there. We set up the board so that it's equal regardless of what side you enter and let the opposing player choose what side of the board they want To deploy on.

So each game, one player kind of serves as the facilitator of the story. We've tried all sorts of special rules were magic spells are easier to cast based on certain conditions, new monster's ect So the thematic elements are there without one person having to not play a war band.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
A GM role would, in my view, provide some benefits to the game-play. For a start, you're the referee for all players to know they have someone who can guide them to play correctly, and can provide rules explanations to those new to the game.

But there's so much else you can add to the game too. Neutral beasties/encounters can be run by you, special locations that trigger certain events, etc. A GM role would add another level of fun to this great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.