Subject: Timing about the Event Cards and Events' Official Variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimo Sforzo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
HI, everyone.
I’ve recently bought a copy of this wonderful game at my local game store (and I’m having a really harsh time finding the expansion “Civilizations”… Aaargh!)

Anyway, I’ve questions about timing the Events and about the Event-variants stated in the Rulebook.
(and I’m sorry if it was already asked)

First:
Regular play. No Variants.
Suppose I take an advance blue (or yellow) outlined; I gain one level on my Cultural (or Happiness) status on the Scale; suppose this triggers an event. Now:

A)
1. I advance on the Scale with my Cultural (or Happiness) Level marker and that triggers an event

2. I gain one Culture (or Mood) token

3. I draw an Event card

4. I resolve the text written and the icon on that Event card (first the text and then the icon, right? Or it doesn't matter?)

or

B)
1. I advance on the Scale with my Cultural (or Happiness) Level marker and that triggers an event

2. I draw an Event card

3. I resolve the text written and the icon on that Event card (first the text and then the icon, right? Or it doesn't matter?)

4. I gain one Culture (or Mood) token

?

Now, please, If I would like to use the Events-Variants listed in the Rulebook, could anyone please clarify them?

Rulebook, page 23:

“EVENTS

Not everyone appreciates the random nature of events and how they strike. Here are two different variants that can be used,

.No Events: Draw events, but only for the effect of the Event icons (such as Barbarians)

.Optional Events: Rather than being forced to draw an Event card, players can decide to draw if they want to push their luck. If they decline, a card is still drawn, but only for the effect of the Event icons”

Sorry, but I don’t get it.

Example:
@“No Events”-variant, Red Player draws one Event card and applies ONLY the effect of the Event icons on himself, so that He should gain 2 Gold in case of a Gold Mine or place an Exhausted Resource token on an empty non-Barren Land space adjacent one of HIS cities or place Barbarian settlement and Barbarians within 2 spaces of one of HIS cities or be attacked by the Barbarians.
Right?

@“Optional Events”-variant, Red Player declines to draw an Event card…
So? Who draws that card (because a card is still drawn as stated by the Rulebook)?
Starting from the Player who has triggered the Event and now declines to draw an Event card, in clockwise order, the other players have the chance to push their luck and the first who decides to push his luck draws that Event card?
The effects of the Event icons (or the text) of that Event card (now being drawn) apply to the Player who really decides to draw the card instead of the active Player (Red in this case) who triggered the Event card to be drawn and declined to draw it? (I'm really confused... )

Sorry for my English...

Thanks for Your answers.

Cheers from Rome, Italy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Williamstown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unsure of the official order, but I've always played 'A':

1. Advance on the appropriate scale
2. Gain appropriate token
3. Draw event card if indicated
4. Apply icon first, then event text

Your 'No event' interpretation seems correct to me. Just apply the icon (and icons only ever apply to the drawing player).

For 'optional event', the use of the word 'players' is misleading. Replace the word 'players' with 'a player'. So, if a player is directed to draw an event card, prior to revealing the card, he/she should announce whether the event text will be activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Effort wrote:

Suppose I take an advance blue (or yellow) outlined; I gain one level on my Cultural (or Happiness) status on the Scale; suppose this triggers an event. Now:

A)
2. I gain one Culture (or Mood) token
3. I draw an Event card
4. I resolve the text written and the icon on that Event card (first the text and then the icon, right? Or it doesn't matter?)

A is closest to correct, but actually, you always resolve the icon first, then the text 2nd. It's generally to your advantage this way...

Effort wrote:

Now, please, If I would like to use the Events-Variants listed in the Rulebook, could anyone please clarify them?

Rulebook, page 23:“EVENTS

Not everyone appreciates the random nature of events and how they strike. Here are two different variants that can be used,

.No Events: Draw events, but only for the effect of the Event icons (such as Barbarians)

Sorry, but I don’t get it.

Example:
@“No Events”-variant, Red Player draws one Event card and applies ONLY the effect of the Event icons on himself, so that He should gain 2 Gold in case of a Gold Mine or place an Exhausted Resource token on an empty non-Barren Land space adjacent one of HIS cities or place Barbarian settlement and Barbarians within 2 spaces of one of HIS cities or be attacked by the Barbarians.
Right?

Correct. Apply the icons, but not the card text.

Effort wrote:

Optional Events: Rather than being forced to draw an Event card, players can decide to draw if they want to push their luck. If they decline, a card is still drawn, but only for the effect of the Event icons”

@“Optional Events”-variant, Red Player declines to draw an Event card…
So? Who draws that card (because a card is still drawn as stated by the Rulebook)?
Starting from the Player who has triggered the Event and now declines to draw an Event card, in clockwise order, the other players have the chance to push their luck and the first who decides to push his luck draws that Event card?
The effects of the Event icons (or the text) of that Event card (now being drawn) apply to the Player who really decides to draw the card instead of the active Player (Red in this case) who triggered the Event card to be drawn and declined to draw it? (I'm really confused... )

Without the rulebook in front of me, but from what you posted above: If you choose not to draw, then the next player can draw, etc. The first one to draw resolves the whole card (Icons + Event) and if no-one chooses to draw, then you draw just for the icons (as in 'No Events' above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Sforzo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
@jaysachs
@Kelanen

Thank You so much for your replies, guys!

Good gaming, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Williamstown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Without the rulebook in front of me, but from what you posted above: If you choose not to draw, then the next player can draw, etc. The first one to draw resolves the whole card (Icons + Event) and if no-one chooses to draw, then you draw just for the icons (as in 'No Events' above.

I don't read it that way at all. Either the player triggering the event draws the card, or they don't. Other players don't get a chance at that particular trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

I don't read it that way at all. Either the player triggering the event draws the card, or they don't. Other players don't get a chance at that particular trigger.

I may be confusing the OP's opinion with the rule text... the layout wasn't clear to me, and I've not consulted the rules, so you may be correct.

These are not options I have ever used, or ever would...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.