Subject: No escape from a Storm? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cook
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Just want to make sure, having trouble finding anything.

If you are being stormed there is no where to retreat, correct?

Also, another question - this is what happened yesterday.

I was sieging a castle. On the next card, my son sent in reinforcements. Then I brought in 2 more helpers on that same road my son's Franks used.

1) If he moved 2 guys along that little road, I can still bring 2 guys on that road?

2) if #1 is true, since I came up the road last, I can retreat on that road?

3) as my son had an excellent roll with knights charge, I took many hits and wanted to retreat. So my 2 new units I was thinking could retreat the way they came (we both used the road). My original units, a card later, do they have to retreat the road they attacked from a turn earlier?

The town my troops came up on was empty but French, I think that's still ok as a retreat spot.

4) in general, does an 'attack from' path only last that card - for instance if I siege for 3 turns, then withdraw, am I forced to go the way I came in? Or is that 'old news', I can retreat to any owned or empty town?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonewall wrote:

That's my understanding.

About the other questions, I hope this helps:
rules v2.0 wrote:
NOTE: Road limits apply separately to each player. Player 1 can use a road and then Player 2 can use the same road.

6.61 Retreat Roads
Per combat round, a maximum of four (4) blocks may retreat along a major road, and two (2) block along a minor road.
Attacking blocks must retreat to friendly or vacant adjacent towns, via road(s) used to enter the battle. Defending blocks may retreat via any other roads.
When both players enter a battle along the same road, only Player 2 may retreat along that road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stonewall wrote:

Yes.

Quote:
1) If he moved 2 guys along that little road, I can still bring 2 guys on that road?

Yes ; but if you are simply moving ( rather than attacking ) you could move 4. Note that usage of the road by the other player does NOT limit your usage.

Quote:
2) if #1 is true, since I came up the road last, I can retreat on that road?

Player 2 only can use that road in this context, so it depends if you are player 2 or not. I cannot establish that from the information given...

Quote:
3) as my son had an excellent roll with knights charge, I took many hits and wanted to retreat. So my 2 new units I was thinking could retreat the way they came (we both used the road). My original units, a card later, do they have to retreat the road they attacked from a turn earlier?

See the answer to 2) above re the 2 new units. I take it your besieging blocks are defending from an attack by the reinforcements your son brought in. If so, you can retreat your original units by any road other than that used by your son's attacking force. Note the rule re Player 2 ( when both sides use the same road ) may still apply however...

Quote:
The town my troops came up on was empty but French, I think that's still ok as a retreat spot.

Yes ( usually ). Not if you are not player 2 however.

Quote:
4) in general, does an 'attack from' path only last that card - for instance if I siege for 3 turns, then withdraw, am I forced to go the way I came in? Or is that 'old news', I can retreat to any owned or empty town?

Interesting question... IMHO you will need to retreat via the road/s you entered on... However, see also bracketed note below. As an aside, note that Withdrawing ( in the game's context ) is strictly for units that withdraw to the castle in the town that they occupy.

[ Note that as in the previous "case/s" ( above ) you may not be able to use the route that was also used by the enemy ; however you can use the route that was used by your original attackers - provided it was not used by the enemy in that turn. If all routes used to enter a battle in a turn are also used by the enemy then you cannot retreat ! ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks!

I just want to make sure about this:

Winter Campaign, for my one move, I've read here I still have regular movement rate, so the assumption is I can still force march?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stonewall wrote:
Thanks!

I just want to make sure about this:

Winter Campaign, for my one move, I've read here I still have regular movement rate, so the assumption is I can still force march?

Under the 1.4 Rules, Rule 9.01 states that : "Blocks have a movement rate of -1 and may not force-march".

[ NB : This may be different under the 2.0 Rules... ]

The -1 equates to a block with a movement rate of ( say ) 2 , being limited to a movement range of 1. Thus, when combined with the ban on forced marches, movement during Winter is ( correctly ) greatly reduced.

[ Apologies for the bad news ! ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks!

But what about when you play the Winter Campaign card during the last turn of the year - I think you get your -1 movement negated, what about Force March?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oops - apologies.

[ I misunderstood your question here. Sorry. ]

"Normally" means as a 1 card :

You cancel the negative effects of Winter ( i.e. -1 movement rate, no forced marches, starting new battles and reinforcing sieges ) for one group.

So : No -1 to movement and Forced Marches are allowed ( albeit for one group only ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.