44.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll first say that I haven't played a game yet, so I'm just curious about the level of challenge each Sin presents on the Heroes team. Are the two in the core box any less challenging than the other 5 that came with my Kickstarter pledge?

When I setup and played through a few turns with Wrath this weekend, it seemed really, really hard for the Heroes. Granted I was playing both sides by myself, but looking through the sin cards, there is a lot of ways to continually hurt the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott LeBlanc
United States
Lyman
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sins add a mechanic to the gameplay. Pride penalizes players for fighting alone by lowering their defense by one during combat. Lust penalizes players who end their turn sharing a space with another player bay giving both players corruption. The corrupted citizens add a mechanic that the sin player can summon them to combat with an extra effect(adding corruption, adding a fire token etc) the si player can kind of mix and match mechanics by putting different sins with different corrupted citizens and add them to whatever scenario he chooses...hope this helps.

Grizz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clubb
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
I'll first say that I haven't played a game yet, so I'm just curious about the level of challenge each Sin presents on the Heroes team. Are the two in the core box any less challenging than the other 5 that came with my Kickstarter pledge?

When I setup and played through a few turns with Wrath this weekend, it seemed really, really hard for the Heroes. Granted I was playing both sides by myself, but looking through the sin cards, there is a lot of ways to continually hurt the heroes.

I would not say harder, just not the same.

Although, gluttony is quite brutal....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott LeBlanc
United States
Lyman
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the game feels very balanced to me. There are a lot of punishments the sins player can dish out, but the players can get pretty powerful themselves...

Grizz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:

The game looks very bleak for the heroes from the start. It is very tightly balanced, and heroes will die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galagaew wrote:
ianoble wrote:

The game looks very bleak for the heroes from the start. It is very tightly balanced, and heroes will die.

That's good to know, because after the first full round it looked like the Heroes had no chance at all. But obviously when you control 3 Heroes and the Sin, you're probably not making optimal moves all of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's going to be a lot of variance in what heroes are in play, which map is used, which upgrade cards come up, etc. In some combinations, a given card/hero might be very powerful, in others not very useful at all. (For example, in one mission we had Metro Pass cards clogging the upgrade deck and no good use for them; in another the heroes would have LOVED to get a metro pass to be able to move with support into an Sin held building).

I don't think the designer has a great record on balancing numerous elements, and I would be very surprised if we don't see poor balance here. On first plays, my opinions have been that Pride is irritating, Sloth is mostly irrelevant and Envy is downright nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
I think there's going to be a lot of variance in what heroes are in play, which map is used, which upgrade cards come up, etc. In some combinations, a given card/hero might be very powerful, in others not very useful at all. (For example, in one mission we had Metro Pass cards clogging the upgrade deck and no good use for them; in another the heroes would have LOVED to get a metro pass to be able to move with support into an Sin held building).

I don't think the designer has a great record on balancing numerous elements, and I would be very surprised if we don't see poor balance here. On first plays, my opinions have been that Pride is irritating, Sloth is mostly irrelevant and Envy is downright nasty.

This ^^ so much... Especially the last sentence.

I've only played the basic scenario (Last Haven) since I played it about three times with 3 different groups. Also I've only allowed hero selection from the base heroes (rule of thumb for me: First players always play without expansions, although the upgrade cards we mixed up). I think I used hobos for all 3 plays (they are the ones that block healing?)

I lost all three games. Except Pride took out 2-3 heroes and Sloth barely came close to 1.

I haven't tried Envy yet, but on this particular scenario? Where Heroes are required to take upgrades? It's deadly. Envy by definition means the players have to take some to get some upgrades and considering how much these upgrade boost the players... It's nuts.

It seems really clear how different things completely change the way the game works.

Mission, Heroes, Sin, Acolytes etc drastically change playstyle as well as balance. That doesn't even take into account upgrade cards or dice rolls.

So yeah, balance is totally up in the air based on the scenario and whatever each side picked.

And yes, I think it is possible to look at a specific selection and say assuming each side picked this and that the game is in favor of the sin\heroes\balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.