$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Acquire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick question: what if no shares are available anymore after a merger? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Mentosovitz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So imagine "American" acquires "Sackson" and all the players want to trade their "Sackson" shares for "American" shares (2 for 1). Now, what happens if there are not enough American shares left? (Say all players already own a big quantity of them and there are only 2 left in the "bank")?
I hope my question makes sense...

Thanks in advance!

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This is covered in the rules. I don't know which version you have so I can't say exactly where, but it will say somewhere: starting with the player who caused the merger and continuing clockwise, each player with shares in the merged-away corporation decides what to do with them. So in the example, the player who caused the merger could trade for the two shares of American or not (assuming they have at least four shares of Sackson). Once the shares are gone then players can only choose to sell or hold their shares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They trade them in following turn order until the supply runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When they're gone, they're gone.

25 shares are plenty though. Right? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
This is covered in the rules.

Indeed. And no matter which version, the rules are always quite short and directly stated.

This quote from copyright "1999 Avalon Hill Games Inc. a Hasbro affiliate", also 1999 Hasbro (with my highlight).

Trade: Stock can be traded. For every two defunct stock cards traded in, the player gets one stock in the surviving corporation. Of course, the supply of surviving stock cards is limited, so you can't acquire stock that is not available.

Also, ahead of that quote is this (my highlight is already emphasized in the rules)

Each player, starting with the merge maker and continuing clockwise, can hold, sell, and trade the defunct stock cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another point,
Quote:
what if no shares are available anymore after a merger?

This isn't a "special case". The following rule is given with regard to buying stocks,

Remember, there are only 25 stocks for each corporation, so when all 25 are sold, no more can be purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Laytonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a key strategic weapon--making the merger and scarfing up the last shares!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Riquelme
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little house rule:

Insetad of going clockwise, we start with the merge maker and then go with the player holding more stocks of, in that case, "Sackson", and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nogardo wrote:
A little house rule:

Insetad of going clockwise, we start with the merge maker and then go with the player holding more stocks of, in that case, "Sackson", and so on.

That gives up hidden information though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is that even more than that is at stake. But that strays off topic and might best be discussed in a separate thread.

what's the impact of changing the player order for resolving a merger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis M
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhotoJim wrote:
Nogardo wrote:
A little house rule:

That gives up hidden information though.

You have to give up that information when the merger happens anyways, right? At least if you want to participate in the merger and exchange stocks for other ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Riquelme
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, you do.

I just re-read the rules. I got the 2008 Avalon Hill version and says nothing about the order after the merger, except you start with the lpayer who did it. On page 4:

[quote]"Players must decide what to do with their stocks of the acquired hotel chain. Ecah player, starting with the player who made the merger, must decide to hold, trade or sell (in any combination) hos or her stocks in that hotel chain"[/quote]

That's when with my group decided the primary shareholder decide what to do with his, then the second and then the rest of the player with the stocks.

The 1999 version says that clockswise thing. Mine not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nogardo wrote:
I just re-read the rules. I got the 2008 Avalon Hill version and says nothing about the order after the merger, except you start with the lpayer who did it. On page 4:

quote]"Players must decide what to do with their stocks of the acquired hotel chain. Ecah player, starting with the player who made the merger, must decide to hold, trade or sell (in any combination) hos or her stocks in that hotel chain"[/quote]

That's when with my group decided the primary shareholder decide what to do with his, then the second and then the rest of the player with the stocks.

The 1999 version says that clockswise thing. Mine not :)

It also "doesn't" say "continuing counter-clockwise" or "as determined by roll of dice" and none of us would conclude to do so.

Play how you wish, but I can't agree with the smugness implied by your use of the image at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nogardo wrote:
The 1999 version says that clockswise thing. Mine not

So after the first player takes a turn, how do you determine who goes second? I've always played with the clockwise rule, and wonder how you play any of the game without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tineyeit wrote:
[q="PhotoJim"][q="Nogardo"]You have to give up that information when the merger happens anyways, right? At least if you want to participate in the merger and exchange stocks for other ones.

If you trade all your shares, yes, but if you only trade some, or none, then you are giving incomplete or no information about your holdings.

Holding the shares, and hoping the company can be refounded, is a very good strategy, particularly in the early- and mid-game phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhotoJim wrote:
tineyeit wrote:
[q="PhotoJim"][q="Nogardo"]You have to give up that information when the merger happens anyways, right? At least if you want to participate in the merger and exchange stocks for other ones.

If you trade all your shares, yes, but if you only trade some, or none, then you are giving incomplete or no information about your holdings.

Holding the shares, and hoping the company can be refounded, is a very good strategy, particularly in the early- and mid-game phase.

Except the rules require all shareholders to reveal their shares upon a merger.

Also good players will know you held shares anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.