Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

1. Do you only fight one monster at a time?

2. Are there board overlays which change how combat is handled or is it always an open arena?

3. How is armor and weapons handled? It appears you create models based on what you acquire. If that's the case, what happens during the second play through and you find yourself with a different kit combination?

Thanks!
Elliott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes... generally. A couple expansions do something a bit different

2. No overlay. Some terrain though. Mostly open area.

3. The models are for aesthetic appeal. You CAN make exact replica of your load out but you don't have to. The armour and weapons are crafted by settlement locations and materials you gather from the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
re: #3

I think the original concept was that you'd actually break the survivors down between sessions and rebuild them with whatever they're wearing. Kind of play the game on one day, then do your hobby stuff to update your survivors over the week (break down, rebuild, repaint).

In reality, pretty much nobody (nobody I've ever heard of) actually does this. Either they just assemble some survivors with random gear or in armor sets, or they immortalize a favorite survivor or they go crazy and magnetize everything so you can just change the equipment on the fly.

...or even just play with the default survivors and sell off the extra armor kits. It's really whatever you want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
1 .- Base game are 4 survivors versus 1 monster.
Meanwhile the expansions usually use more tokens/terrain:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Expansions have the Sunstalker that uses shadow tokens, and Spidicules (giant spider) with baby spiders that uses them to attack. Dung beatle that uses a Poo ball terrain that launches against survivors as part of his attacks,Dragon god (human) that uses GATES to move around, slenderman that disappears from the board, Lion God that uses terrain to attack, and Lonely tree expansion that can show up on another monster fight, with a fruit that buffs the current monster.

In all, the expansions do use alot more the terrains and multiple tokens as part of their fights. The Base games the monster interaction with terrain is more limited, but instead survivors are meant to use the terrain (cardboards tokens) to their advantage.

2.- Terrain tokens are meant to change the battlefield, some are a liability (An expansion includes lava pools for example), Others are tactical advantage that stop field of view targeting and other are higher ground for range weapon survivors to take advantage.

Flower knight expansion has a overlay that change the battlefield.

3.- The models are the hobby side of things. Its not required or expected that your survivor has the same gear than your current ingme gear to play.
Some persons do magnetize their minis, so they have a really close or just the same gear as their ingame survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="fastlane"]re: #3

I think the original concept was that you'd actually break the survivors down between sessions and rebuild them with whatever they're wearing. Kind of play the game on one day, then do your hobby stuff to update your survivors over the week (break down, rebuild, repaint).
/q]

No way that's how it should be done. You don't want to strip and re-paint minis every week- especially plastic ones (where most agents that strip the paint will damage the plastic as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

I find the game to appear interesting, intriguing and very nice looking.

I don't know how many folks stick with one survivor and not use the rest of the armor and weapons supplied, but I wonder if that would be a pledge option during the next kickstarter to soften the price a bit.

In other words, the same game, creatures, etc. but just four heroes without all the kit options? I guess I would like to have more monsters as opposed to the survivor kits in my opinion.

Either way, thanks again, I may find additional questions to ask.

Elliott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fantastic game if you're looking for a sprawling, giant campaign.

On survivor assembly, we did that for the first campaign and still tend to do that if the game is moving instead of at home with easy display shelf access. You've got gear dashboards right in front of you, so the models are basically just aesthetic/a reminder.

I could also really easily see doing that, with one magnetized wrist on each for weapons, and just leaving it at that, too. Lots of people have cannibalized the game, and it's pretty easy to move the armor sets in the after market, especially the ones you get more commonly, for the first half of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a treat, probably my favorite to play!

You get enough models to make at least four of each complete armor set in the game with appropriate weapon choices. With so many, you can put together likely combinations easily and have a lot of choices at hand for representing your survivors. This is how I do it.

If you do get the game and decide you don't want to build out all the models, it's not too difficult to sell off spare sprues to the fanatics like myself who are happy to build-out even more combinations of gear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Thanks everyone!

I find the game to appear interesting, intriguing and very nice looking.

I don't know how many folks stick with one survivor and not use the rest of the armor and weapons supplied, but I wonder if that would be a pledge option during the next kickstarter to soften the price a bit.

In other words, the same game, creatures, etc. but just four heroes without all the kit options? I guess I would like to have more monsters as opposed to the survivor kits in my opinion.

Either way, thanks again, I may find additional questions to ask.

Elliott

It's a unique experience. If you fancy a nightmarish hardcore survival campaign, it's a must have. (Best game ever in my case XD).

You have endless gear combinations, and limited survivor miniatures to build. The most frequent approach is to sort of try to represent the main gear used, but you won't ever have a mini which exactly matches your gear (it's up to 9 items, and there are hundreds of them to acquire during the game).

Some people have gone the magnetize way (make parts interchangeble), but that is not efficient at all. It's better that you just assemble the minis progresively, as you advance within your game sessions and feel which combinations better represent your favourite gear items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again all!

I do enjoy large campaigns and I am drawn to the adult nightmarish theme. I also enjoy cooperative games which are difficult. I have no issues with randomness and I don't mind dying in a game. It just makes winning that much more satisfying.

I've tried to research it while avoiding spoilers.

It's difficult to imagine a large campaign with only three phases each year (hunt, fight, settlement) and still be interesting for 25+ years! But obviously the game pulls it off by creating replay ability without feeling repetitive. At least that is what I gather from the reviews.

I think my biggest fear is not being able to paint well enough to respect the models. I did see someone do a "black and white" paint job which looked awesome.

Thanks folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hofstedt
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
eharding wrote:
I think my biggest fear is not being able to paint well enough to respect the models. I did see someone do a "black and white" paint job which looked awesome.

Honestly, I think the miniatures for this game look best either unpainted or, better, with minimalist painting like what you mentioned. It reveals the fine detail of the sculptures, preserves the nice color coordination with the board, and gives the whole game a baroque aesthetic. I want my copy of KD:M to look like a board game with fine marble components that Caligula would have had commissioned, had he thought of it.

I'm definitely going to attempt magnetization with a few pieces, but either way, I'll keep the painting as simple and elegant as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eharding wrote:
Thanks again all!

I do enjoy large campaigns and I am drawn to the adult nightmarish theme. I also enjoy cooperative games which are difficult. I have no issues with randomness and I don't mind dying in a game. It just makes winning that much more satisfying.

I've tried to research it while avoiding spoilers.

It's difficult to imagine a large campaign with only three phases each year (hunt, fight, settlement) and still be interesting for 25+ years! But obviously the game pulls it off by creating replay ability without feeling repetitive. At least that is what I gather from the reviews.

Thanks folks!

To break down the phases a little without spoilers... The settlement phase is really the 'Civilization' part of the game and varies a huge amount depending on your goals (equipping everyone, upgrading certain armour/weapons, aiming for particular upgrades from innovations or equipment) and they naturally vary a lot from story events placed at certain points on the timeline and a random settlement event that happens every year. The hunt phase varies by having a table of 100 random hunt events plus each monster having their own unique hunt cards plus a few options of adding specific hunt events based on whether you try to unlock them in your campaign. The showdown phase varies because each monster has a large pool of AI cards that it randomly selects a certain number from each fight (thus playing differently every time) and every monster has a completely different and unique deck which makes them all feel very very different to play against. Though I will admit that after a few campaigns the first couple of level 1 monsters do get a bit boring.

As to painting, I consider myself a decent painter with background in warhammer for a fair while but I am extremely slow painting. Honestly, at the distance you are from the board, you can literally place a base coat on every model (flat skin colour, brown for cloth/leather, silver for metal etc.) then add a wash (thin paint that you liberally just place everywhere) and it will look better than just having them grey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
As to painting: I'm there with you in the paints. I'm colorblind, so painting is right out when it comes to an expensive game like this. However, the models themselves look fantastic even without painting them, and as a compensation to lacking paint, I've gone into creative poses.

It takes a little practice to get the positions where you want them to be, as there is often a limited range of articulation in the joints. Fortunately, I sacrificed the White Lion armor for my practice rounds (WL Armor just doesn't compare to the rest of the kits. Looks ugly to me.)

There are also a great deal many more heads, hands, and arms included in the kits than there are bodies and legs, so you have a good range of pose options to work with off the base torso.

(Also, the Gorm kit males tend to look like Spawn! Which is just lolzsome.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those miniatures from Australia again!

Quote:
and as a compensation to lacking paint, I've gone into creative poses.

The creativity being, that they are upside down!

(This makes me laugh as much as the Lion God/King gif )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.