Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: An upside to fracking and earthquakes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
msg tools
A first, as far as I know: a Letter to the Editor (yes, Virginia, newspapers still do exist)

http://newsok.com/an-upside-to-earthquakes/article/5518474

Of course, it's in an Oklahoma newspaper. You know, it almost, almost makes sense. As I've said here before, there's been small earthquakes recorded in the state regularly over the past 25 years. Maybe this guy's right?

Nah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fracking waste is not the only stuff injected into disposal wells. Ya need to change your headline.

At least the letter writer was correct on that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Imagine the energy involved in those massive plates shifting! If we could figure out a way to harness that energy while causing more and more earthquakes... At some point we'll just be injecting plain ocean water and running our country off of earthquakes! Totally green too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
remorseless1 wrote:

Of course, it's in an Oklahoma newspaper. You know, it almost, almost makes sense. As I've said here before, there's been small earthquakes recorded in the state regularly over the past 25 years. Maybe this guy's right?

He might be right, yet it'll come down to "Acts of God" can't be sued for damages, BUT "Act of disposal Wells Companies" can be. Even if they can sell the optics that these quakes are a good thing. Your man made quake knocks down my building, you're going to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fracking and mining can create quakes in addition to those created by tectonic forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

So if you watched 60 minutes last week (or back in May)... you would have discovered that while Oklahoma's huge increase earthquakes is man made... it isn't the Fracking doing it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-oklahoma-rise-in-quak...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Meerkat wrote:

So if you watched 60 minutes last week (or back in May)... you would have discovered that while Oklahoma's huge increase earthquakes is man made... it isn't the Fracking doing it.

If wastewater injection is just a final step in the Fracking process, wouldn't that still be caused by Fracking?

I'm not sure the reasoning for the adamant diversionary argument that it it isn't "caused" by it? It is directly correlated to it, as a HUGE percentage of of that wastewater is fracking wastewater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

If wastewater injection is just a final step in the Fracking process, wouldn't that still be caused by Fracking?

I'm not sure the reasoning for the adamant diversionary argument that it it isn't "caused" by it? It is directly correlated to it, as a HUGE percentage of of that wastewater is fracking wastewater.

Waste water is not just limited to fracking. It is the liquid that comes up while drilling, regardless of horizontal or vertical. And that percentage is significant, but fewer frac wells are going in (well, at least in Oklahoma). But southwest Texas (the Permian Basin) is awash in fracking wells and waste water injection wells and it hasn't been a problem down there. Different geological formations underground? I dunno.

I don't think the letter writer is correct, and I certainly understand the link between injection wells and earthquakes. I just thought it was an interesting (though non-viable) point of discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In Oklahoma, in the area where most of the earthquakes are occurring, apparently most of the wastewater is coming from wells that were naturally fractured--"fracking" wasn't necessary.

https://www2.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9833/7711%20

Edit: ninja'ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.