Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the 2 minute drill on rules differences:

It is still very similar to Tower, but simplifies the game. The offering portion of the game has not changed except for one aspect noted at the end of this.

Setup isn't random. So each "segment" of each "wonder" is fixed in terms of color needed. Some only have 1 sement, but it needs 8 materials.

The tokens no longer determine the color. They are now generic and score either fixed points or two different types of set scoring.

The wonders have variable numbers of segments and score fixed majorities for contributed materials based on size and not on order completed. But, there is a new set scoring based on how many wonders you contributed to during the game.

They added a generic wonder that you are only allowed to build once one or more colors are no longer represented on the other wonders. The active player can choose the color needed as long as it is no longer needed elsewhere.

They removed the rule about scoring 1 point per apprpriate card that the active player rejects.

I'm not sure how I feel about these changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just commented about changes in the previous thread, just based on the images.

Legend5555 wrote:
They removed the rule about scoring 1 point per apprpriate card that the active player rejects.

I think this really changes the game for the worse, but fortunately it's easy to ignore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I've just commented about changes in the previous thread, just based on the images.

Legend5555 wrote:

I think this really changes the game for the worse, but fortunately it's easy to ignore.

I agree. This scoring is one of the most ingenious parts of the game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for pointing these differences out. It does seem interesting to score if a player does not take your offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
GSReis wrote:

Legend5555 wrote:

I agree. This scoring is one of the most ingenious parts of the game IMO.

My group thought this should be 1 point if rejected not per correct card offered. The game was more about building the wonders than rejecting others help. Oh well, this might be the best of both worlds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, TOWER OF BABEL was developed away from Reiner's "designer vision."

For all of you documenting ‘changes,’ please note that this edition of the game, PLANET RUSH, is actually Reiner's original and preferred rules set. In effect, you are getting the Designer’s Cut.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

For all of you documenting ‘changes,’ please note that this edition of the game, PLANET RUSH, is actually Reiner's original and preferred rules set. In effect, you are getting the Designer’s Cut.
N
Alan Emrich

So what? I personally don't care what the designer's intent was since I can only judge the game as presented.

That does not mean these "changes," as you state, are not changes. And whether those changes resulted in a better game in the case of Tower is a matter of opinion.

I happen to like the variable setup, split color tokens, and points for rejected cards rule. The bonus cards included with Tower IMO are terrible and I never used them after my first play.

I am not saying I won't like this game, but it removed several aspects I thought added nicely to gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Demski
Canada
East St. Paul
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

Alan Emrich

Why is none of this mentioned in the KS campaign? Someone else mentioned this in the comments on the campaign but got no response; is there a reason you are avoiding any connection with 'Tower of Babel'? Was it at the request of Reiner Knizia or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
I personally don't care what the designer's intent was since I can only judge the game as presented.

And we're presenting PLANET RUSH.

Quote:
That does not mean these "changes," as you state, are not changes.

Huh? When is a change not a change? And, for the record, it is not me stating that; it comes from Reiner himself.

Quote:
And whether those changes resulted in a better game in the case of Tower is a matter of opinion.

And no one said otherwise.

Quote:
Why is none of this mentioned in the KS campaign? Someone else mentioned this in the comments on the campaign but got no response;

Oh, goodness! My boiling tea kettle has more patience than that

A response, if it is not there now, is forthcoming.

Quote:
is there a reason you are avoiding any connection with 'Tower of Babel'? Was it at the request of Reiner Knizia or something?

No, Reiner is a righteous dude about such things. We have enjoyed the heck out of the game going "full Reiner," and didn't see fit to change anything (unlike ICARUS, which we also publish, and did modify).

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is nice to see Tower of Babel getting a new lease on life. It's a great game! However, I think the very best part of ToB is the rule that players get points for rejected offers. It is the main tension and fun of the game IMO. I'm surprised this rule is missing from this new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Demski
Canada
East St. Paul
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
Why is none of this mentioned in the KS campaign? Someone else mentioned this in the comments on the campaign but got no response;

Oh, goodness! My boiling tea kettle has more patience than that

A response, if it is not there now, is forthcoming.

Alan Emrich

I'm sorry, but the campaign was up for like a day when the question was initially asked. I don't think it's unreasonable for KS creators to be a bit more active in the first few days of their campaigns; questions should be answered quicker than 13 hours.

You also might want to find a better tea kettle if it takes 13 hours to boil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JurassicMatt wrote:
Why is none of this mentioned in the KS campaign? Someone else mentioned this in the comments on the campaign but got no response; is there a reason you are avoiding any connection with 'Tower of Babel'? Was it at the request of Reiner Knizia or something?

Great question.

Pretty sneaky, VPG. As someone who's spent a lot of $$ on your games, and backed both of your previous Kickstarters, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and has me doubting your brand's integrity for the first time.

Trust is hard to earn, but very easy to lose. If you're going to sell a re-skin of a previously published game, you need to make it *extremely* clear that it's a re-skin of a previously published game. Why? Because then I can pop over to bgg and see reviews of that previously published game. The way you played it makes it seem like you were hiding something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a five-player game of Planet Rush for the first time at lunch today. I was a little worried about the differences in the game, and in some ways, I was right to be--Planet Rush, while feeling close in lineage to Tower of Babel, feels almost entirely different. But I don't think it's necessarily worse off for the changes.

In Tower of Babel, the decision is to try to make your offer just bad enough that you'll get refused and be able to keep your cards. (You do want to be accepted sometimes, but more often than not, I'm trying to hold on to my cards.) In Planet Rush, you generally want to be accepted, so the decisions center on how do you make your offer agreeable. (This is facilitated by the endgame: every game involves seven of the structures being built, and you score points at the end of the game if you've contributed to 5, 6, or 7 of the completed ones. Structures are also worth fewer points--ties are friendlier--so points are harder to come by.) I thought the bonus discs were much more interesting here than in Tower of Babel. The structures that only take one build to complete (and you'll have to do at least one of these every game) are fascinating. And the smaller deck of building cards makes it easier to know, in general, what is in other players' hands and who is holding out on you.

All told, I like this update very much, but I need to play several more times to determine whether I like it better than Tower of Babel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Goatcabin wrote:

All told, I like this update very much, but I need to play several more times to determine whether I like it better than Tower of Babel.

Does it have a chance to fire Tower of Babel? or is it different enough to own both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Goatcabin wrote:

Does it have a chance to fire Tower of Babel? or is it different enough to own both?

Hmmm... That's a difficult question to answer. The games are different enough that you can't really port one game into the other without basically remaking it. So that's an argument for both. (You can also fit Planet Rush inside the ToB box once you toss the insert.) I prefer the setting of Tower of Babel, but the look of Planet Rush is better by far. And the box size for Planet Rush is PERFECT. Time will tell if it "fires" it, but I will likely only keep one since they are similar. I'm not sure which one that will be.

Among the five of us who played, three had played Tower of Babel, and we were all reeling a little from how different the game was to give a solid ruling. As I said, more plays are in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Planet Rush have the equivalent of the blue "action cards" of Tower of Babel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Does Planet Rush have the equivalent of the blue "action cards" of Tower of Babel?

Considering that the publisher made a point about Planet Rush being Knizia's original design, and that it's a known fact that the special cards were added to Tower of Babel without Knizia's input, my guess is no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Gola wrote:

Considering that the publisher made a point about Planet Rush being Knizia's original design, and that it's a known fact that thttps://ps.d91.k12.id.us/public/home.htmlhe special cards were added to Tower of Babel without Knizia's input, my guess is no.

component list says no as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.