$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game, there were several Open Claims involving certain citizens and one of my secret claims also involved the same same citizens. I did not want these citizens to get stolen, so after I bought the necessary tiles, I never finished them and worked to add/finish other tiles as well as hinder my opponents. In the final rounds of the game I just built up my gold stash as much as I could (to buy supply cubes in one turn), letting another player buy the last cubes. I was well in last place, but on my final turn I was able to buy enough cubes to complete 2 small tiles & 2 large tiles (+24 pts), which gave me a free roof (+4 pts) and 3 citizens (+15 pts), and allowed me to meet the goals for 2 open claims (+16 pts) and my secret claim (+8 pt). Adding this to my other secret claim I had already had (+10), I was able to swing 77 pts in one turn for the win. Is this a typical last round point swing?

By not finishing the tiles until the final round, you are ensuring your citizen does not get stolen and denying anyone else from stealing them as well. Because of this, I find that I tend to play this way now. But if you do this, it does seem to be a little less climactic. Has anyone else experienced this?

[Edited: You CANNOT obtain ANY citizen after the final supply cube is purchased, bribing or otherwise! The post here is not a legal play in the game.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Wait until the final round to finish citizen tiles
Well, I believe that would be the dominant and obvious strategy, if it wasn't explicitly against the rules.

Quote:
Additionally announce that the Characters may no longer be moved at all. The Bribe a Character action is no longer available for players to perform. Characters cannot be moved through card play (for example, the No-Good Troublemaker Tycoon card); and Characters cannot be acquired by finishing a tile. If you finish a tile during the last turn that would award a Character, you do not receive it.

I'll admit we missed that one game and we did exactly what you did--the winner held on and went on to have a massive last turn by finishing a ton of tiles and claiming a ton of characters.

Ever since though, the game has gotten a lot more fun once again as the tension of trying to keep your Citizens you need in your saloon for the end game triggering is there. Really the best part about this game probably is that tension and following these rules really does bring that interplay to the forefront.

Now I tend to try to finish my tiles towards the end of the game when I'm concerned someone will trigger the final round. Or ideally I save up enough gold to trigger end game while claiming all my citizens--that is absolutely the best strategy I think there is, but it can often be a big risk as if someone else trigger end game you are losing out on all the citizen and secret objective points....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wait until the final round to finish citizen tiles
Ranior wrote:
Well, I believe that would be the dominant and obvious strategy, if it wasn't explicitly against the rules.

Touche. I am embarrassed we missed that detail. We will definitely be taking note of this for the next game! Without those claim points, I would have instead netted 53pts on my last turn. Still a decent end game jump, but not enough to win. Thanks for the reminder of that little rule.

I am going to update the title of this thread so as not to confuse future gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
No worries. It is hard to make sure you have every possible rule correct in a game.

I have actually been thinking of compiling a FAQ from these threads. I know I've had to read through several things and have several discussion on exactly how some of the end game rules are supposed to happen.

With that being said, you are absolutely correct that that was still a very large last turn bump in points and is quite impressive, but may often not be enough to win. You have to risk bringing those citizens earlier or else not get them at all.

Or you have to try to buy them and buy the last supply cube all in one turn. I did that in one game recently which helped me get a victory. But it can be tough to have the cash built up and have the perfect scenario where you can buy the cubes, claim the character, and think you have enough points to win.

And good call on updating the thread title! That should help reduce future confusion for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... actually, I would not have had the +15 pts that came with the 3 citizens either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Ranior wrote:

Touche. I am embarrassed we missed that detail. We will definitely be taking note of this for the next game! Without those claim points, I would have instead netted 53pts on my last turn. Still a decent end game jump, but not enough to win. Thanks for the reminder of that little rule.

I am going to update the title of this thread so as not to confuse future gamers.

So, hypothetically then, the second place player had the official victory in this game, correct? Hypothetically, I think he may or may not have lost by only a few points. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypothetically speaking of course, that 2nd place player was the better player and officially won by a decent amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Hypothetically speaking of course, that 2nd place player was the better player and officially won by a decent amount.

Eh, I tend not to think by this way. If everyone at the table was playing by the same rules (even if those rules were wrong), then there's nothing wrong. Randy D made a very smart move and had a great strategy for the rules they were playing by, and rightly deserved to win by those rules.

It turns out the game is not meant to be played that way, specifically for the reasons mentioned by the OP ("Because of this, I find that I tend to play this way now. But if you do this, it does seem to be a little less climactic"). In future sessions they will now play that way presumably, and will see who the best player is then.

That's at least how we play at my tables. As long as everyone was playing by the same rules, no matter how wrong those rules may have been, the winner deserved their win for that round and we'll play correctly in the future.

With all that being said, by the official rules he was cheating, so I guess the 2nd place player would have won. But I hesitate to agree that they were the better player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
randyd42 wrote:

Eh, I tend not to think by this way. If everyone at the table was playing by the same rules (even if those rules were wrong), then there's nothing wrong. Randy D made a very smart move and had a great strategy for the rules they were playing by, and rightly deserved to win by those rules.

It turns out the game is not meant to be played that way, specifically for the reasons mentioned by the OP ("Because of this, I find that I tend to play this way now. But if you do this, it does seem to be a little less climactic"). In future sessions they will now play that way presumably, and will see who the best player is then.

That's at least how we play at my tables. As long as everyone was playing by the same rules, no matter how wrong those rules may have been, the winner deserved their win for that round and we'll play correctly in the future.

With all that being said, by the official rules he was cheating, so I guess the 2nd place player would have won. But I hesitate to agree that they were the better player.

Agreed. We also typically play as you describe. I just happened to be the second player in his scenario, and he was holding off completing a room that would have given him the citizen I needed to complete a secret goal (and yes, I had a card with which to steal said citizen). So, I just had to give him a hard time about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
JMac85 wrote:

Agreed. We also typically play as you describe. I just happened to be the second player in his scenario, and he was holding off completing a room that would have given him the citizen I needed to complete a secret goal (and yes, I had a card with which to steal said citizen). So, I just had to give him a hard time about it.

Oh, no that changes everything.

He clearly cheated you out of a win then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.