4,081 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
25.7% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

mike b
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
We're going to be watching our nieces and nephew for a week this fall. I would like to find a game that could work for all of them.. until now we have tried games like TtR so the youngest one could understand, but the oldest 2 want to play some of the harder games. All the kids and my wife and I aren't crazy about TtR, but it is easy enough to understand. I would rather error on the side of it being a challenge for the youngest. They seemed to understand Pandemic and Thebes, but they are only 4 player. I would probably only buy a game if it seems like something that would also be a good approachable game for newbie gamer adults. We don't have a 5 player count game that is anywhere near easily approachable.
Games that are on my radar
Chinatown
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
7 Wonders
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game they love zombies (don't know if it's too much for a 7 year old though)
Mission: Red Planet (second edition)

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Maybe Ra or Medici? (Medici is supposed to be best with 5, and the new edition just came out)

On the less complex side, Dixit or Mysterium would be able to fit all age ranges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My nieces and nephews (8 yo-high school aged) used to be mad for Uno. Games would literally take all day. Parents were running and hiding when they saw Uno come out. Then I bought a copy of Tsuro, and games are over in 15-20 minutes. You can even have a rematch game or 2 and be done in an hour. Handles 5 players easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence or Lords of Waterdeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would go with
Bohnanza
Dixit
Tajemnicze Domostwo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic is not exactly what you are looking for but plays well with 6 for sure. I wouldn't call it a challenging game but it is fun. It's a co-op and works well with my nieces and nephews 5-15 years old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey have you tried Mexican Train with a set of double twelves? Kids love it and I think a 7 year old could get into it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinatown is an outstanding game. It involves trading/negotiations, but the rules are not difficult to learn.

Also look at Winner's Circle, a rather unconventional horse racing game that plays quickly and always generates fun in our family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
Hey have you tried Mexican Train with a set of double twelves? Kids love it and I think a 7 year old could get into it as well.

And a great game with double-9 dominoes is Chicken Foot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark w

Missouri
msg tools
Damage ReportIs a fun game and with 5 it would be quite intense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
Jamaica, Camel Up, and The Great Dalmuti are fun for kids and adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id recommend
Jamaica
Lords of Waterdeep
Kingsburg
Dead of winter may be a bit much for a 7 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza
Incan Gold
TransAmerica
Alhambra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Smith
United States
Augusta
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo, citadels, one night ultimate werewolf, coup, formula d, bang the dice game,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mord im Arosa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 formula d
Made me also think PitchCar. Fantastic flicking discs game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo Rally
King of Tokyo
Medieval Academy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt Jamaica would go down well if they want something more complex than TtR.

My oldest is 8.

+1 for Bohnanza, my daughter played when she was 7

+1 for Ra though I've only played Priests of Ra which we played with my daughter for the first time recently and she won by a huge margin so she obviously understood it. We gave her some strategy advice but didn't let her win.

Citadels or Citadels (2016 edition) when it's out (I'd recommend the new version over the old version)

Pandemic - you can actually play this with 5. The rules for 5 players are in one of the expansions, but you don't need any of the expansion components. You deal each player the same number of cards as in a 4 player game. No changes other than that. We've tried it once and it was fine (we don't have the expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
+1 Jamaica
+1 Lords of Waterdeep
+1 7 Wonders
+1 King of Tokyo

Sheriff of Nottingham Fantastic game of bluffing and bribery. Plays 3-5 players and is simple enough for the youngest but fun for older players also.

Coup/The Resistance These social deduction games are fabulous. Some of my best get togethers have all included these two. Accusations, screaming, laughter, and plenty of "O" Factor. Tons of fun in small boxes.

Camel Up Zany racing and bidding game. Spiel de Jahres winner in 2014 for those who care. Again, its accessible for the young ones but plays well with adults also. This game is a staple for our game group. So much so that I went through several months where I couldn't get other games to the table because it was requested so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure is a game I prefer to normal pandemic, and it play five with no variations. I've also played normal pandemic with five with no problems!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express
Sushi Go!

You're Welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 7 Wonders
Also Carcassonne and Machi Koro (need the Machi Koro: Harbor Expansion for 5 players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Two Cities is playable with kids and newby adults. I think it breaks down a bit with more experienced gamers though.

Celestia is a lot of fun, I've played it with my light group, competitive gamers, heavy gamers and it was good with all of them.

Broom Service might be a touch challenging for the 7yo and there can be some feel bad moments, but it's one of the better games to come out last year imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Pay careful attention to theme and art direction. The right theme and art direction will get a young player to stay with a game that is otherwise a bit too complex/challenging for them.

I have two 8-year-olds. They almost always ask for Telestrations: 12 Player Party Pack if playing games come up. We never use the point system, just play for fun (and it is always fun). The only others that have EVER been requested have been Evolution (which fits all your criteria: up to 6 players, simple enough for willing newbies) and Galaxy Trucker (only plays up to 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.