BATTALIA: The Creation» Forums » General

Subject: So is the game that good? Give me your honest opinion. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I am so very close to backing the expansion+base game on Kickstarter, because, well, it just looks so damn beautiful.

However, I don't want to buy the game and "force myself" to like it because I backed it and find it beautiful.

Gameplay is most important. I've read the reviews, read the comments, but the problem is there are too few ratings for it to be really representative and most come from, I suppose, KS backers who are biased.

Anyway, is the game worth its price in FUN? Does it scale well with 2, 3 and 4? (Doesn't have to, but curious.) Can you look past the art and be objective about how the game plays? How luck-driven is it really?

I'm surprised this seems to remain relatively unknown, given the amazing components and all...

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i havent played it a ton but i find it enjoyable. there is a learning curve and its fairly steep. not so much in your actions (which are simple) but your decisions. nothing pushes the game forward so if all players twiddle their thumbs afraid to do anything the game can really drag.

some of these issues may be fixed with the expansion, not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me what makes it stand appart and fin / exciting is that the deckbuilding mechanics translate into something tangible on the board - building, moving, fighting... otherwise it would be a snoozefest as I am not a fan of pure deckbuilding.

But your questions are hard to answer as they are very personnal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I am one of the people who posted a review here on BGG... and a KS backer... so I don't know how much this will help... but I can assure you I did not let my backer status sway my opinions. I have backed some bad games and noted them as such (why hello there megaman). This is not one of them and I am quite happy I backed it. In fact it is one of my favorite games I've backed and I've backed close to 40 projects (most being board games).

This game is quite fun for people who enjoy deck builders. I stress that last part because the most common complaints I see are a result of not doing good deck building as this game can clog down and be slow if you bloat your decks. If done well though, then it is quite a competitive game. You can't play a deck builder and just buy all the things and expect it to go well (or fast). If you have played Dominion then you know where I'm coming from. If you have not, then I might suggest trying that before this game as this one is definitely heavier.

Now this game is not a simple deck builder like Dominion though. To label it as such is not fair... but the biggest core element is a deck builder so I still find it the best litmus test for this game. If people do not like Dominion, then I would not suggest this game for them. They might still like it (for example supamanu above)... but the chances are lower. If they do like Dominion however, then this game has a good shot of being up their alley as it takes that mechanic and adds on a tangible world/heroes to the mix with gorgeous components while incorporating combat and map building. It's a very unique mix that is done and balanced impeccably.

I will say there is some luck involved (much like any deck builder) in that you can get stronger/weaker starting hands. For example if you manage to get a turn one Lord (having 5 supply in your hand) you are off to an early lead. I see this in lots of games though (for example opening hand of 5 coppers in dominion) so it does not bother me... that said... it is harder for opponents to catch back up to the early lead in this game unless the other person plays poorly.

The biggest detractor is there are some optimal strategies (I outline my preferred one in my strategy post on this game). It doesn't make the game less fun but it is a valid concern as it does make it a bit more repetitive (especially in the early stages where people can't interact with each other since their nations are not connected). Just the hero powers from the first KS (not in retail copy though) help address this a lot by giving each power their own strengths... and I think the added scenarios, new NPCs, new cards, and co-op mode of the expansion will significantly help with this as well (and possibly the early lead mechanic I mentioned in the previous mechanic). Obviously I'm not sure though as I have not played with those expansion goodies yet.

I hope this helps but please feel free to followup and I'll do my best to answer. A lot of your questions are going to vary person to person so it's hard to give you a definitive answer. I personally love the game but realize it is a significant investment.

EDIT: Oh and I have only played 4 player games. Will likely be doing more 3 player though as a member of my group just moved. I still think it will hold up well... but imagine 4 player is ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankberg Almeida
Brazil
Manaus
Amazonas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, most of all, Battalia is a deck building game... luck is a constant factor to manipulate, but believe me, you have a lot of mechanism to do it with all the cohort, tents, ambush, amulet and magic roll that you can use...

Think like playing poker... every hand seems like random, but if you have the knowledge of all cards and their probability/quantities, you'll find a way to predict the future more precisely...

The good part of the game is that it's very thematic with all combinations using units, artefacts and special powers... I won't lie to you, there are a lot of rules to use the cards, but if you pay attention to the lore of game, everything makes sense, IMHO....

Is it for you and your group(s)? Well, it really depends of how much you would like a deck building game with a lot of mid-term and long term strategy, resulting on an interesting area control.
If so, maybe this game is for you.

I think the full experience of the game comes only with 4 players... 3 playees , like a lot of games, can create a lot of king making situation.... and 2 players is better to test strategies...

The game plays slowly at beginning... after 3d/4rd round, you can see the assimetry of every player and how can you adapt yourself to the situation, using more or less aggresivity...

(Sorry for some grammar error, english is not my first language)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, as a deck builder (or manager, as you tend to trash cards as much as buy them after a short while) powering a world conquering game, it's lots of fun. The card / hand management does a great job of letting you build up a mighty army... or play lots of small skirmishes, accepting you may lose a few but win many more.

It's a really interesting game just as a base game - really looking forward to see what extras the expansion throws in, as it's a solid base to build from I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the answers, guys!

eflin wrote:
Well I am one of the people who posted a review here on BGG... and a KS backer... so I don't know how much this will help... but I can assure you I did not let my backer status sway my opinions. I have backed some bad games and noted them as such (why hello there megaman). This is not one of them and I am quite happy I backed it. In fact it is one of my favorite games I've backed and I've backed close to 40 projects (most being board games).

This game is quite fun for people who enjoy deck builders. I stress that last part because the most common complaints I see are a result of not doing good deck building as this game can clog down and be slow if you bloat your decks. If done well though, then it is quite a competitive game. You can't play a deck builder and just buy all the things and expect it to go well (or fast). If you have played Dominion then you know where I'm coming from. If you have not, then I might suggest trying that before this game as this one is definitely heavier.

Now this game is not a simple deck builder like Dominion though. To label it as such is not fair... but the biggest core element is a deck builder so I still find it the best litmus test for this game. If people do not like Dominion, then I would not suggest this game for them. They might still like it (for example supamanu above)... but the chances are lower. If they do like Dominion however, then this game has a good shot of being up their alley as it takes that mechanic and adds on a tangible world/heroes to the mix with gorgeous components while incorporating combat and map building. It's a very unique mix that is done and balanced impeccably.

I will say there is some luck involved (much like any deck builder) in that you can get stronger/weaker starting hands. For example if you manage to get a turn one Lord (having 5 supply in your hand) you are off to an early lead. I see this in lots of games though (for example opening hand of 5 coppers in dominion) so it does not bother me... that said... it is harder for opponents to catch back up to the early lead in this game unless the other person plays poorly.

The biggest detractor is there are some optimal strategies (I outline my preferred one in my strategy post on this game). It doesn't make the game less fun but it is a valid concern as it does make it a bit more repetitive (especially in the early stages where people can't interact with each other since their nations are not connected). Just the hero powers from the first KS (not in retail copy though) help address this a lot by giving each power their own strengths... and I think the added scenarios, new NPCs, new cards, and co-op mode of the expansion will significantly help with this as well (and possibly the early lead mechanic I mentioned in the previous mechanic). Obviously I'm not sure though as I have not played with those expansion goodies yet.

I hope this helps but please feel free to followup and I'll do my best to answer. A lot of your questions are going to vary person to person so it's hard to give you a definitive answer. I personally love the game but realize it is a significant investment.

EDIT: Oh and I have only played 4 player games. Will likely be doing more 3 player though as a member of my group just moved. I still think it will hold up well... but imagine 4 player is ideal.

Couldn't you house-rule this? I would then say, if you draw 5 supply cards in your starting hand, you can either a) reshuffle your 10 cards and draw again or b) keep your cards, however you are not allowed to hire a Lord on your first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:

eflin wrote:
For example if you manage to get a turn one Lord (having 5 supply in your hand) you are off to an early lead.

Couldn't you house-rule this? I would then say, if you draw 5 supply cards in your starting hand, you can either a) reshuffle your 10 cards and draw again or b) keep your cards, however you are not allowed to hire a Lord on your first turn.

This would certainly work. I typically don't house rule though unless it really breaks the game. Just a personal preference.

Although in this case you'd likely need to house rule it for the first 3 or so turns... Getting a lord anywhere in there is a big advantage (not too common though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very good game, get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander van der Drift
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
My honest opinion is that the game is clunky, has a lot of unnecessary rules which do not add anything (imo) and is an example where the whole is less than the parts. For me and my gaming group it is the biggest disappointment of all the kickstarters I've backed. By the way, the game does look very good. Also, the kickstarters campaigns for this game are ran very good and the team behind the game is very enthusiastic. So no complain there. I just think the game is not very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OmegaDragon wrote:
My honest opinion is that the game is clunky, has a lot of unnecessary rules which do not add anything (imo) and is an example where the whole is less than the parts. For me and my gaming group it is the biggest disappointment of all the kickstarters I've backed. By the way, the game does look very good. Also, the kickstarters campaigns for this game are ran very good and the team behind the game is very enthusiastic. So no complain there. I just think the game is not very good.

Interesting! Can you elaborate at all? What rules were unnecessary? Which parts were clunky? Might be good feedback for the developer. He is fairly active on the comments after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.