29.3% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, there was a lightning deal on The Prodigals Club: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LJI74I (see [Dead] [Amazon US] Prodigals Club $25.49.). I was ordering it and noticed at the bottom of the top section of the Amazon page the following: "This item's packaging will indicate what is inside. To cover it, select Ship in Amazon box on the checkout page." [bolding theirs]

Going to checkout, I clicked said box and got this:

As far as I can tell, if I didn't check the box, Amazon would just stick the labels on the shrink-wrap and ship it, as-is! There have already been reports of Amazon.de doing this (Amazon.de shipping games WITHOUT PUTTING THEM IN A SHIPPING CARTON now!) but now it looks like American Amazon is following suit. At least they're giving us as option to opt-out.

Edit: I did a quick check of other games on Amazon. It looks like this hasn't appeared (yet) on most games but I did find one more with this: Alchemists (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S03OIYS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never seen this on a Boardgame I've ordered but have had this happen on other items for quite some time. Typically something big like a vaccum cleaner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
Edit: I did a quick check of other games on Amazon. It looks like this hasn't appeared (yet) on most games but I did find one more with this: Alchemists (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S03OIYS

Why does Amazon hate CGE?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Silverio
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how my copy of Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids showed up. Amazingly there was no damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they are doing that option as in many major cities Amazon is delivering same day packages themselves. Thus really no need for a box as it's not being thrown around by USPS or UPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
sxrxnrr wrote:
This is how my copy of Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids showed up. Amazingly there was no damage.

This happened to me too! Shocked it arrived in as good of shape as it did.

For reference, I am NOT in a major city and it definitely had to do some shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered a Paw Patrol board game for my son and it came without a box. But it was only $20 shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, cardboard boxes...made out of pure gold.

For gods sake when I sold stuff on ebay boxes were not that expensive, and I could not buy them in bulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a Talisman expansion from Amazon without an outer shipping box. It was just a shipping label slapped to the game box's outer plastic wrap. There was a little damage to one corner, but purely cosmetic. I ordered from the app on my phone and didn't see an option to ship in an Amazon box like the OP mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingarthur1976 wrote:
Never seen this on a Boardgame I've ordered but have had this happen on other items for quite some time. Typically something big like a vaccum cleaner

I just ordered a vacuum cleaner last night and saw this very thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
msg tools
If you check out Caverna on Amazon someone has pics up of it being delivered with the labels directly on it as well... With Mayfair's plastic film being extra thin and cavern a being a ton of wood in a box... That is unbelievable. Not to mention the price of it and still being treated as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wonder what happens to items when returned because of damage. Board game boxes are part of the collection. If I pay for a new game, I want it in pristine condition. But there are some games I'd buy at a cheaper price out of a scratch and dent section....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vospire wrote:
Wonder what happens to items when returned because of damage. Board game boxes are part of the collection. If I pay for a new game, I want it in pristine condition. But there are some games I'd buy at a cheaper price out of a scratch and dent section....

It seems that Amazon believes that a board game box is the same as any other item's box -- i.e., that only the condition of the contents inside the box matters, not the box itself. And for most things, that's probably true.

With my most recent order with Amazon.de, Amazon provided no packing materials at all inside the cardboard box. As a result, 3 of the 4 games inside had some damage to their respective boxes, and 1 of those 3 had severe damage (i.e., a hole in the box and major creasing). I contacted Amazon.de to complain, and I basically had to convince the CSR that the condition of the box does matter because it affects the resale value of games. Maybe if enough people complain to Amazon along those lines, they might change their perspective on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
And not just because it affects the resale value. It's also because the game box is a permanent part of the item and a game is something often stored in public display (in a home). People don't store a vacuum inside the box, or have it sitting out purposely on display. I'd be comfortable using all 3 arguments w/Amazon.

A game box is much more equivalent to an album cover, book jacket, cd/dvd case...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spear
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just experienced this the hard way, my first order of Potion Explosion came in a box but was nearly destroyed (box fine, game run over by a car) so I followed their return/exchange procedure and ended up with a game with no box that was almost as badly damaged. I've requested that they replace the game again and ship in a box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harrison
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, don't get your hopes up with a box. Amazon doesn't know how to protect games inside a box. Packing is simply used to fill the space on one side and the game is therefore pressed up against the other side of the box ready to transfer the shipping box gouge directly to your game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Vospire wrote:

They get listed as Amazon Warehouse deals. It's basically the dent and ding section of Amazon with some actual used items mixed in.

sxrxnrr wrote:

Nothing really that amazing about it. It's far more likely that the game would arrive undamaged than damaged. I'm sure Amazon has plenty of data saying that replacing every damaged game shipped that way still costs them less than the packing foam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ironically I ordered and received a copy of Wing Leader from Amazon last week and it arrived in just the game packaging. It was definitely a WTF? moment, but I have never seen the subject packaging caveat. It must have been in effect in this case. At least I know to look for it going forward. Thanks for the heads up.

The game was basically no worse for the wear with the exception that the corners of the box top were slightly frayed. I'm assuming if there was a master carton that would have been avoided.

Live and learn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captds9e wrote:
I believe they are doing that option as in many major cities Amazon is delivering same day packages themselves. Thus really no need for a box as it's not being thrown around by USPS or UPS.

My game was delivered USPS without any packaging and I am not in a major city and have never experienced same day delivery... in fact even my supposed 2 day prime delivery is 3 days at the earliest (order Monday, arrives Thursday) and usually longer especially if a weekend or holiday is involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleUp wrote:
Carrollz wrote:
in fact even my supposed 2 day prime delivery is 3 days at the earliest (order Monday, arrives Thursday) and usually longer especially if a weekend or holiday is involved.

Isn't that right though? Order Monday, ships Tuesday, arrives Thursday. Tuesday to Thursday is two days. Also shipping/delivery doesn't usually happen on the weekends anyway, especially Sunday.

Not really, but that's beside the point which is that it is traveling for multiple days and passing through multiple hands at least in my case so it does get bounced around quite a bit... it isn't an issue of not really needing a box which would certainly make sense in some situations, I just wanted that to be clear for anyone considering ordering because I know I had made a similar, certainly reasonable imo, assumption as one that was expressed earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.