Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for more suggestions ... Two Player Travel Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Page
msg tools
I want something that myself and my other half can play when we take the train/coach to London later this year. I need something that will keep us entertained for a few hours ... my needs are below.

- Something Simple to learn.
- Games specifically designed for two people, or can be played with two people very well (since not all 2+ player games play well with 2 people).
- I've not yet figured out what style game he likes so I'd like suggestions that would work well for a board game virgin.
- Meaty games that last longer than 30 mins (I already have filler games to take options wise)
- Something with a smallish footprint. I booked table seats but space will be limited and it is likely we'll be sharing space with two other people.
- I'd also like suggestions for anything we can play on a coach trip we have.
- I will also take suggestions for tablet pass and play games

Games I already have that I am taking

-> Hanabi
-> Oddball Aeronauts

Games I have considered

-> Hive. (I find it too close to chess so I don't enjoy it)
-> Love Letter (Not so fun with only two players)
-> Qwixx (I would worry about losing the dice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Miller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is an easy, awesome two-player game with a small footprint. Perfect for a newbie. It is very fun, and has been a hit with everyone I've introduced it to.

Also, check out Star Realms. I love this fun, little deck builder. Plays quickly and easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Briggs
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Patchwork is a great option. Has some thought required but pretty simple to grasp. Only problem with it is that it might take up a bit more room on the table...though that shrinks as you play.

Onitama is also a good option if you're cool with abstracts.

Have a great trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi is a terrific two player worker placement game. It's not terribly big on table space.

Kahuna is a great two player hand management area control game. Takes very little table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another vote for both Jaipur and Star Realms.
Samurai Spirit-- don't play the 2-player variant, just have each person grab 2 samurai.
I'd suggest Onirim or Odin's Ravens but I don't think they're as long as you're wanting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Blue Moon Legends. Awesome 2 players card game from Knizia! You can leave the board and the miniatures home and use any tokens instead. There is a lot of replayability with the multitude of factions.

For the tablet, Small World and Carcassonne have excellent iOS implementations.

Have a nice trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack Pocket is pretty meaty and small space, under 30 min
2 de Mayo is meatier and a little longer
+1 for Onitama
Fairy Tale and Tides of Time are 2 drafting games that work well with 2 and don't need too much table space.

But the best choice for a meaty 2-player game that requires no table space at all would be... Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fielding Mellish
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mb
Something that fits on a train table that's meaty and for two...that's tough. If I had to pick something from my closet:

Jambo
Omen: A Reign of War
Race for the Galaxy (that's going to be tight)
Condottiere
Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans

iPad:
Tigris & Euphrates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tentative +1's for Patchwork, Odin's ravens, Kahuna, and Star realms.
Lets say +0.5 for them cus they are a bit variably, large foot print, wieldy, awkward.
we struggle not to lose Kahuna pieces playing at home. and laying out the pieces in patchwork, surely too big for travelling, maybe there is a way around that though.
I would say Odin's Ravens and Star realms will work best on the go. provided you have the space. I used to play Star Realms on a set of draws about 1.5foot square. ravens normally you would lay out the cards in a narrow path about 3 or 4 foot long. but you could make the path double back easily enough.

Tides of Madness is a great two player game. Someone mentioned Tides of Time, which is much the same game, but I like madness plenty and can see why people say the madness tokens add something. maybe a little short for you needs, but is very replayable.

For something like Star Realms but a bit meatier, maybe try DC Deck Builder and related games. We have the Teen Titans set and takes us way over the 30 mins the BGG page suggests.

+1 Mr Jack Pocket. nice game, small footprint

might suggest Province - more of an involved game for how tiny it is. just be careful of the small fiddly pieces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
Lost Cities An old Knizia classic, but small and phenomenal. My wife and I play this more than anything else. It's short and simple, but can be incredibly tense as you become more familiar with the strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More co-op-y options:

...and then we held hands
The Ravens of Thri Shahashri

Both 30+ minutes
2P only
All your other criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
You want something meaty (no fillers, which most of the above suggestions are), yet works for a beginner, and small footprint. That's a tall order. Here are some other possibilities, all of which I have taught to newbies and have taken travelling/played on small tables:

Valley of the Kings (and/or its sequels, Afterlife and Last Rites). This is a surprisingly strategic (i.e., meaty) deck builder with a reasonable footprint and easy to learn rules.

Arboretum. A set collection card game with simple rules. The challenge in this game is in the interaction with your opponent: trying to figure out what they are doing, trying to block them, while not letting on your plans.

San Juan (second edition). A card adaptation of Puerto Rico, this is a classic engine builder. Race for the Galaxy is very similar in mechanics, but SJ is much easier to learn, is more relaxed and yet has plenty of depth.

OddVille is out of print, but if you can find a copy, it is well worth buying. Easy to learn, but lots of depth in the spatial puzzle and resource juggling. It will need the whole table to play, however.

Oh My Goods! is another engine builder, which we have been enjoying lately. If you get it, be sure to download the official v2.0 rules (see bgg forums), because they greatly improve the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Page
msg tools
pacman88k wrote:
More co-op-y options:

...and then we held hands
The Ravens of Thri Shahashri

Both 30+ minutes
2P only
All your other criteria.

I have The Ravens of Thri Shahashri, but it seems like it would need more than a small space to play it in due to the size of the cards and the general layout of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very small travel games:

Dragon Punch: Glorified Rock-Paper-Scissors, 2-player game, doesn't even need a playing surface. Theme is arcade fighting.

The Pack O Game series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ragaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mr. Jack Pocket
+ 1 for Star Realms

Fjords is also a nice game. The box is a bit big, but you can put the content in a small bag, no problem.

A game I also very much enjoy is Less: Like Chess but Less!, but I imagine this is quite hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracyn wrote:
- Something with a smallish footprint. I booked table seats but space will be limited and it is likely we'll be sharing space with two other people.

Do you know if you sitting opposite each other or next to each other? If you're opposite each other then you hopefully have half the table uncontested and the half you have is more square (rather than long & thin).

fielding wrote:
Race for the Galaxy (that's going to be tight)

I think it'd be fine as long as you know the game reasonably well. You can overlap many of the cards without a problem and play in a surprisingly small area.

+1 for Star Realms though my experience is that it needs slightly more room that Race for the Galaxy to play comfortably I think it would still fit.

Lost Cities would probably be too big unless you started overlapping your expeditions or player it with smaller cards.

Haggis which can be played 2p with playing cards (removing aces and 2 of each picture card)

Cribbage though that's verging on filler

Indian Chief is certainly filler (unless you play best of 5) but I'd probably play that if I was taking playing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Page
msg tools
We are sitting next to each other. I wasn't able to book seats where we would be opposite one another sadly. So we are going to have a long thin space unless there is a no show on the other seats - but as this is a London train I doubt we'll get the table to ourselves.

Got some good suggestions so far to look into.

Particularly interested in the Sherlock Holmes one. How does it compare to 21b baker street?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead Man's Draw
Archaeology: The New Expidtion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David da Silva
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
A perfect game for traveling and also plays in every player count wonder(1-4 players) is
Mint Works

The kickstarter was this month and so it will be released next year but the PnP version ist really easy to print and this game is a perfect game for trains. I played it on the plane and at the beach (you can see my pictures from the plane and beach on the image section of mint works).

When the final product arrives it will be my NO.1 traveling game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Page
msg tools
I ended up getting a copy of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

Of all the games suggested this looked to be the meatiest, and definitely, has the perfect theme for our London Trip. It was also the one he seemed to be most interested in playing, especially as it was a co-op that we can play together (though it does have a player-vs-player variant if we want to try that).

I will still look at suggestions, but I think I have a good selection now for our trip. What with this game, my fillers, and all the android apps I have found over the last few days I think we have more than enough to keep us busy.

Thanks guys, you helped a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.