$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
31.8% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

roy rehberg
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the goblin archers' special effects says, "each time a Goblin Archer resolves an attack, it performs a move action and retreats. Then its activation immediately ends." Here is a scenario that I have a question about.

1. The first action that the archer can use is to spot a hero. So, he moves his full movement to get 3 spaces away from the hero.

2. He attacks with his second action.

In this case, does the goblin archer get a free move action in order to retreat because of the special effect? We played no, but I've read on the forums somewhere that the special effect is separate from the two actions the monsters receive. I appreciate any clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: goblin archer question
The RTL rules (you can download them from FFG's website) state that any leftover movement is used for the "Retreat" action, unless it explicitly states that it takes another "move" to retreat.

When spotting, it won't necessarily use its full movement. It will only use enough movement to get within line of sight and within 3 spaces. So if it has a movement value of 4 and only needs 2 to get within LOS and within 3 spaces, it will move to that space and then have two movement left over, which it can then use for retreat if necessary. If it needs to use all 4 movement to get within spotting range, then it will not retreat.

I recommend reading through the rules as they clarified a number of things that the tutorial didn't make fully apparent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure your question was really answered. I think, and play, that the goblin would get an extra move action to retreat. If the goblins first action was to attack then yes he would just move his speed and retreat following the attack and his turn ends. But if he had to move to spot, then attack I still think he would perform a move and retreat.

Not sure if he only used some of his movement to spot, would those left over movement points get added to the move-retreat action.

There are instructions sometimes, like Moe stated, that add a retreat on some other action those definitely only use remaining movement points.

I think because as you state it's a special effect that it happens in addition to the two actions, at least that's the way I interpret it.

The Merriod has a special effect sometimes that says its attack target an extra hero. Since the master has Flail which already targets an additional hero it would now target 3 heroes. I think that's the point of special effects to enhance the monsters in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Not sure your question was really answered. I think, and play, that the goblin would get an extra move action to retreat. If the goblins first action was to attack then yes he would just move his speed and retreat following the attack and his turn ends. But if he had to move to spot, then attack I still think he would perform a move and retreat.

For what it's worth, this is how we play it as well. Anything in the "Special Effect" part of the Monster Activation instruction is an extra in addition to what the actual activation list says.

So if the Special Effect gives the monster an additional Move action (starting from scratch with full speed), regardless of what they've done before the Attack, they would get full movement points and retreat.

There's a similar case with Ettins, where a Special Effect instructs them to use Throw immediately. So this would give them an additional Throw action, after which they resolve their two actions as per usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roy rehberg
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:
mustardayonnaiz wrote:

For what it's worth, this is how we play it as well. Anything in the "Special Effect" part of the Monster Activation instruction is an extra in addition to what the actual activation list says.

So if the Special Effect gives the monster an additional Move action (starting from scratch with full speed), regardless of what they've done before the Attack, they would get full movement points and retreat.

There's a similar case with Ettins, where a Special Effect instructs them to use Throw immediately. So this would give them an additional Throw action, after which they resolve their two actions as per usual.

The Ettin special effect that you mentioned is actually what made me question the goblin archer special effect I quoted. I had both come up in a game I played. The Ettin one came up first, and we didn't count the throw action from the special effect as part of their two actions. So, the way it worked out in our game, the Ettins got three actions on that activation. We never doubted we were playing that right. It just made sense.

We weren't giving the archers a free move action per the special effect if the attack was the second action, and the archers had no move points to spend for retreat. I think we played it wrong though. I agree that the archers should have gotten to perform a move action to retreat after their attack regardless of how many actions they had already taken on their turn.

I guess the confusion for me has been that monsters and heroes aren't intended to have more than two actions a turn in the normal game, but I guess the app can break that rule with the special effects. So, unless an FAQ comes out stating otherwise, I'll probably play that everything in a special effect gets played (if it triggers) even if the monsters end up with 3 or 4 actions in a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I apologize, I misunderstood the question. I would consider the move action a free action for the goblin archer

FWIW, the app is designed to replace the overlord who could, sometimes, play cards that would allow them to do something not allowed by the core rules. Heroes have similar allowances (eg, one hero's special one-time action allows you to do a super long move and an attack at any point of that move, all for one action).

I'm gonna have to break the app out again and possibly re-peruse the PDF of the RTL rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roy rehberg
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I e-mailed FFG about this question, and the archers could get a free move action if there first action was to use up all movement points to spot, and their second action was an attack. They said to think of it like some Overlord cards that break the normal rules as Moe stated.

I've just recently bought the game because I can finally play it cooperatively. So, personally, I've never played the game with an Overlord. I didn't know there were cards that break the rules. My guess is there are others like me who also have not played with an Overlord, so some of these special effects may confuse them. Hopefully, they'll find this thread, and it can help them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe augment the title of your post to further define the situation so that it makes searching the question easier. This is by no means a criticism of your post title. But maybe adding special effect to the title would increase the likelihood of someone stopping in to check it out if they indeed have a question about this situation. It's still a better title than the flood of "I have question" titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.