Subject: Marine campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Brochu
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

Been doing a few stand alone game just to wrap my head around the rules. So tonight decided to start a real campaign. Decided to do Iraq 1991 since it's the intro scenario. Long campaign, so 9 Days with 68 SO.

I was thinking : Let's do a Marine Campaign. Gonna limit the variety of aircraft I can take so it will be something less to worry about for my very first campaign

By the rules, I can only select Harrier II aircraft and Thor. Since Thor started in 2014 they are not available in my scenario. So only Harrier II will be available.

Randomly select the following pilot :

1 Newbie
2 Green
6 Average
2 Skilled
1 Veteran

This added 18 SO for a long campaign to bring my total at 86 SO. But now I realize... Taking a Harrier II during a long campaign give you 12 SO for each aircraft... This is a 144 SO bonus for a total of 230 SO!...

I'm sure I'm missing something, somewhere...

Also the Harrier II does seem to be underwhelming as far as Aircraft goes. Only 6 WP... Am I thinking wrongly about being a somewhat easier campaign because I won't have to worry about aircraft selection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Yoder

Granite Bay
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I found that I really learned a lot by flying the Marines. You will find the weapons selections easier, that is true. In contrast you will do a lot more seat of the pants flying like flying low to take advantage of the "Nap of the Earth" rule. With the SO points you will want to use the refueling option every chance you get so you don't lose precious Weapons. And you may need to rest your pilots regulary.

Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Brochu
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
tlyoder57 wrote:
I found that I really learned a lot by flying the Marines. You will find the weapons selections easier, that is true. In contrast you will do a lot more seat of the pants flying like flying low to take advantage of the "Nap of the Earth" rule. With the SO points you will want to use the refueling option every chance you get so you don't lose precious Weapons. And you may need to rest your pilots regulary.

Happy hunting!

Thank you for the suggestions. I will take note of that!

On the other hand anyone can confirm about the SO total for the campaign?... I just find 230 So to be quite excessive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your math seems correct to me. As mentioned, you'll definitely want those SO points for refueling in the later missions, R&R, and even the occasional Priority Recon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
Because the Harrier has few WP, you'll find sometimes you can't carry enough bombs for the target and have enough AGM88's and AAMRAM/Sparrows to suppress the air defenses. So you'll find yourself needing to do a lot of precision bombing with laser-guided munitions, and that's where you'll use up all those SO points you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harriers cannot carry AGM 88 or AIM-7. Your allowed weapons are AIM-9/120, Mk 20/82/83, GBU 12/16, AGM 65, Rockets, and ECM Pods. That's all the more reason you need those SO points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Granger44 wrote:
Harriers cannot carry AGM 88 or AIM-7. Your allowed weapons are AIM-9/120, Mk 20/82/83, GBU 12/16, AGM 65, Rockets, and ECM Pods. That's all the more reason you need those SO points.

This.

I cannot echo enough this point. Yes, you get a ridiculous amount of SO points so spend it liberally! The AGM-88 might be the single most important weapon and you won't have access to it! The AIM-9 have horrible range so you will need to spend points on 120s. Also, the GBUs will be necessary to compensate for low weight points. Between that, resting, etc. you will use a lot of points and still have a challenging game.

If you choose a later year so you can use the stealth planes, the marine campaign does go into an interesting direction. I do recommend you try it without them first, though. They are a bizarre plane to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Brochu
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! It never occured to me that I was actually right about the SO number for that campaign. I guess I'll start and use a lot of SO along the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Marine Campaigns from my understanding are also pretty challenging considering the lack of AGM-88s. Or you can, at the expense of SOs, try the Large Deck Carrier Campaigns - But you can't use AV-8Bs.

By the way, Zodiark12 - I'm putting together a variant at this time that will not only expand your options for Marine Campaigns, but overhaul the game altogether! At this time, though, my Thread with the Premise for it is in need of feedback. Could you find time to take a look at and tell me what you think?

Here's the post, by the way...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1628329/hornet-leader-comma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Marines seem better suited than the Navy for the Cthulhu expansion, since alien critters don't use Radar so Nap Of The Earth really comes in handy. Plus with all the extra S.O. points they can use multiple Nukes per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.