Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Sébastien Lapointe
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
I played diving block to defeat endless army of HYDRA. I then drew 2 scheme twist as a result, forcing me to get a wound. Do I get it or do I draw a card since diving block was played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JeeHess wrote:
I played diving block to defeat endless army of HYDRA. I then drew 2 scheme twist as a result, forcing me to get a wound. Do I get it or do I draw a card since diving block was played?

You chose wich one you want. here's why from page 17 of the rulebook:

Quote:
“Reveal an X-Men Hero or Gain
a Wound.”
“Reveal a card” just means show the other players that you have it. You don’t play or discard the card you revealed. When you have the opportunity to “reveal a card”, you can reveal a card from your hand or you can reveal a card in front of you that you have already played this turn.
• For example, say you play a Wolverine card and a Deadpool card to make 5 Attack, and you still have four S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents in your hand. Then you fight the Villain Sabretooth. For Sabretooth’s “Fight” effect, you can reveal the Wolverine(X-Men) card you already played this turn so that you don’t have to take a Wound. You could also just choose to gain
the Wound if you really wanted, for example if you had lots of cards in your deck that benefited from Wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
A played card can be used in any "you may reveal a card" situation. It's still up to you to decide whether you want to reveal it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Doctor Nightmare wrote:
You chose wich one you want.

Pretty much this.

You can "reveal" cards you have played this turn.

You can, however, choose not to reveal a card, even one which is very obviously on the table in front of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they should have used "indicate" instead of "reveal". I always find it weird when someone chooses to not "reveal" a card that is sitting on the table face up in front of them. Just by being face up, it is technically "revealed" by all dictionary definitions.

"If you would gain a Wound, you may indicate this card and draw a card instead."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
randomlife wrote:
Maybe they should have used "indicate" instead of "reveal". I always find it weird when someone chooses to not "reveal" a card that is sitting on the table face up in front of them. Just by being face up, it is technically "revealed" by all dictionary definitions.

"If you would gain a Wound, you may indicate this card and draw a card instead."

No thanks, indicate seems even clunkier IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sébastien Lapointe
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all...

But what would be the point of wanting a wound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeeHess wrote:

Other cards allow you KO a wound card in order to get some beneficial effect. Hulk and Colossus both have cards like that, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
randomlife wrote:

Only because there isn't a Legendary: Glossary of Terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
JeeHess wrote:

Other cards allow you KO a wound card in order to get some beneficial effect. Hulk and Colossus both have cards like that, I think.

Along those same lines, there are also cards that let you do something instead of receiving a Wound. In the case of these cards, you never even have a point where the Wound is clogging up your deck for a turn before you can potentially KO it.

One of Soulsword Colossus' commons, for example, tells you that if you were to gain a Wound, discard this card instead and draw two new cards.

I was playing an Advanced Solo match last night using Magneto leading the Brotherhood (part of RangerRob's campaign), and I fought Sabretooth. Even though at the time my entire hand was comprised of X-Men cards, I chose *NOT* to reveal one of them (to myself) and instead played the aforementioned Soulsword Colossus card to draw two cards rather than gaining a Wound as part of Sabretooth's fight effect.

So yes, there are definitely times when you want to gain Wounds or *try* to gain them. Just be careful to read the wording on the cards, as some of them specifically refer to KOing Hero cards or KOing Wounds or just "KO anything."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
swirlsaepi wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
JeeHess wrote:

Along those same lines, there are also cards that let you do something instead of receiving a Wound. In the case of these cards, you never even have a point where the Wound is clogging up your deck for a turn before you can potentially KO it.

One of Soulsword Colossus' commons, for example, tells you that if you were to gain a Wound, discard this card instead and draw two new cards.

I was playing an Advanced Solo match last night using Magneto leading the Brotherhood (part of RangerRob's campaign), and I fought Sabretooth. Even though at the time my entire hand was comprised of X-Men cards, I chose *NOT* to reveal one of them (to myself) and instead played the aforementioned Soulsword Colossus card to draw two cards rather than gaining a Wound as part of Sabretooth's fight effect.

So yes, there are definitely times when you want to gain Wounds or *try* to gain them. Just be careful to read the wording on the cards, as some of them specifically refer to KOing Hero cards or KOing Wounds or just "KO anything."

Important point slightly hidding in Swirl's post here: you can reveal a card for one part of an effect and not another. Hence you can choose to not reveal Diving Block for something like the Legacy Virus giving you a wound (it's a tech card) then immediately reveal it for its own power, allowing you not gain the wound and draw a card instead. It's a bit weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another Diving Block question that came up in a game last night.

Diving Block plus Spreading Nanovirus. In a 1 or 2 player game, where the virus can ONLY be passed to one person, can you use Diving block over and over to draw your whole deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spreading Nanovirus
Healing: You may have the player to your left gain this Wound.

In a 1 player game, since there is no player to your left, I don't think you can get rid of this Wound unless you also have a regular Wound also or some other way to KO non-Hero cards.

In a 2 player game, on your turn you can pass the Spreading Nanovirus to the other player. If that person has Diving Block, they can reveal it and draw a card instead of gaining it. If they do that, where does the Spreading Nanovirus go? Does it stay in your hand or does it get KO'd? I guess if it stays in your hand, you could do it again, over and over, allowing the other player to draw their whole deck, if they wanted. If it gets KO'd then that would be the end of that chain.

I suspect it gets KO'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I suspect it gets KO'd.

If Healing implied getting KO'd, I'd agree. But all of the other grievous wounds specify that they are KO'd in their rules text after Healing, leading me to believe that the keyword "Healing" actually has no rules text associated with it.

Infinite draw combo, ahoy!

"Here comes a virus!"

Cap: "No!"

"Come on, take it"

"No!"

"Come ooooon."

"No!"

"Ok fine. But take it though."

"No!"

Aaaand so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Spreading Nanovirus
Healing: You may have the player to your left gain this Wound.

In a 1 player game, since there is no player to your left, I don't think you can get rid of this Wound unless you also have a regular Wound also or some other way to KO non-Hero cards.

In a 2 player game, on your turn you can pass the Spreading Nanovirus to the other player. If that person has Diving Block, they can reveal it and draw a card instead of gaining it. If they do that, where does the Spreading Nanovirus go? Does it stay in your hand or does it get KO'd? I guess if it stays in your hand, you could do it again, over and over, allowing the other player to draw their whole deck, if they wanted. If it gets KO'd then that would be the end of that chain.

I suspect it gets KO'd.

Well it is clarified in the Dark City rules that when playing Advanced Solo and card text refers to "each other player" you are supposed to do the action yourself. For example, in GOTG, Ronan's Ambush effect simply automatically gives you a Wound if you are playing Advanced Solo.

I realize that the wording on Spreading Nanovirus says "the player on your left" instead of "each other player" but I would think the intent remains the same: you would pass the wound to yourself. I agree that the only way to get rid of the Wound would be to KO it along with other standard Wounds as part of the regular Healing action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.