Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle
United States
University Hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some random thoughts after about a dozen plays. Background, my wife and I love DotR, and it has been our go to game for a while.

1) I like this better than DotR ... mostly because there are more options for strategies. Play time is a little longer than I'd like, but still enjoying it.

2) Josuah seems way overpowered. When he is in play, we win every time. When he isn't, I think we've won only once. He has excellent movement, excellent fighting, decent defense ... and his attributes aren't horrible. He's my wife's first choice for characters! lol

3) Radiation flare ... why are you allowed to put a radiation on a radiated location. We end up just piling them all on one location (usually Myst City or Old Factory). Seems like it would be a better game mechanic if you had to put a radiation token on a location adjacent to a radiated location, that isn't already radiated. I am going to try to convince my wife to house rule this.

4) Missions ... this is one thing that I think DoTR did better. Seems that we don't use missions as much in DotLS as we did in DoTR.

5) The default stage cards (1B/2B/3B/4A) seem odd ... for leader movement, 3B is worse than 4A. DotR they got progressively worse.

6) I wish the solid lines on the board were more in alignment with the map features. They seem totally unrelated.

7) Would immediately buy expansions ... more Rangers! More scenarios! More Krank cards! More Monstrosities!

8) Ug the green kickstarter dice are hard to read!

9) Why is the character's # of actions fixed? One of the big differences between DoTR heroes was the number of action points they had. Seemed like a good way to balance them.

This has been our go to game since we got it ... will see how long it lasts, but we've really been enjoying it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding 5): You realize you must resolve leader movement on all three cards in stage 4A, right? So even though only one leader is left, he/she will move one space if any of the three cards would move him/her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thank you for enjoying the game and sharing your thoughts. I would like to answer some of them, and maybe clarify some things also that may be confusing.

2) Josuah seems way overpowered.

I have heard this from multiple players at conventions the past few weeks and discovered the wording on his card needs clarification.

When it states Josuah may attack adjacent areas with a -1 modifier, this is still limited to 1 area per attack action. I can see where the wording is misleading, but if you use that definition of his skill, he is no longer overpowered, but still very strong.

3) Radiation flare ... why are you allowed to put a radiation on a radiated location. We end up just piling them all on one location (usually Myst City or Old Factory). Seems like it would be a better game mechanic if you had to put a radiation token on a location adjacent to a radiated location, that isn't already radiated. I am going to try to convince my wife to house rule this.

The intent is that radiation is spreading or gettin worse. I will FAQ this and change it in future rules to where no more than 3 radiation can exist i any one location. Thanks for helpingme clarify that.

4) Missions ... this is one thing that I think DoTR did better. Seems that we don't use missions as much in DotLS as we did in DoTR.

The idea here, was that all but Jake are conscripted Rangers, and they are not overly dedicated to anything except defending Last Stand. I may change some of that in future scenarios, but all base scenarios were built with that idea in mind. I think the real reason Missions are used less, is that there ae more options and many folsk focus on Adventuring and Scavenging over Missions.

5) The default stage cards (1B/2B/3B/4A) seem odd ... for leader movement, 3B is worse than 4A. DotR they got progressively worse.

These do increase movement, and some build up, but not as much as in DotR. Don't worry, future Scenarios may add Stage C and D cards as well to mixed into the Stages. The goal was to make the Stages more flexible for scenario play.

6) I wish the solid lines on the board were more in alignment with the map features. They seem totally unrelated.

Actually they may be more aligned to map features than you might think. Ridges on mountains, or cliffs, or radiated battlefields actually drove the setup. Road movement was a big part of this. There was a lot of work on makingteh roads count.

7) Would immediately buy expansions ... more Rangers! More scenarios! More Krank cards! More Monstrosities!

Me too. I have some on paper. Each Expansion s would have 4 new Rangers, new Adventure cards, a few new cards for every deck, and 2 or 3 new Scenarios (which may also add Stage cards and group mission cards.

8) Ug the green kickstarter dice are hard to read!

Agreed - I do not like the Green custom dice. Love the Red ones though.

9) Why is the character's # of actions fixed? One of the big differences between DoTR heroes was the number of action points they had. Seemed like a good way to balance them.

I started with mixed number of Action tokens, but in the end it seemd to work fine fixed for all as we were play testing.

I hope you continue to enjoy the game. I know I got to play it again at a convention this weekend and we had a great time.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
University Hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Regarding 5): You realize you must resolve leader movement on all three cards in stage 4A, right? So even though only one leader is left, he/she will move one space if any of the three cards would move him/her.

Yep, that's the way we've been playing it. On 3B, we do leader movement on both cards regardless if a leader moves on the first card ... so 3B can have 2 leader movements, while 4A can only have 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
University Hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

2) Josuah seems way overpowered.

I have heard this from multiple players at conventions the past few weeks and discovered the wording on his card needs clarification.

When it states Josuah may attack adjacent areas with a -1 modifier, this is still limited to 1 area per attack action. I can see where the wording is misleading, but if you use that definition of his skill, he is no longer overpowered, but still very strong.

We've never used that power, and yet I still think he is overpowered. We've only played 2 player ... so movement is paramount. He is by far the best moving ranger, and he is very strong in combat.

Richard Launius wrote:

The intent is that radiation is spreading or gettin worse. I will FAQ this and change it in future rules to where no more than 3 radiation can exist i any one location. Thanks for helpingme clarify that.

I don't think there are enough radiation flares in a game (only 5 in the deck) to make a limit of 3 change anything for us. I'm going to try house ruling that the radiation has to spread to an adjacent location that isn't radiated. That should make these much more meaningful (and scary!).

Richard Launius wrote:

The idea here, was that all but Jake are conscripted Rangers, and they are not overly dedicated to anything except defending Last Stand. I may change some of that in future scenarios, but all base scenarios were built with that idea in mind. I think the real reason Missions are used less, is that there ae more options and many folsk focus on Adventuring and Scavenging over Missions.

Your last point is very true for us. We do a lot of scavenging, we adventure if it is convenient, and only do missions if they have a really nice reward.

Richard Launius wrote:

Actually they may be more aligned to map features than you might think. Ridges on mountains, or cliffs, or radiated battlefields actually drove the setup. Road movement was a big part of this. There was a lot of work on makingteh roads count.

I'll have to look again ... I did notice that roads played a part, but it still seemed off to me. It's really not a big deal, just one of those things I noticed and now it bugs me. lol.

Richard Launius wrote:

Me too. I have some on paper. Each Expansion s would have 4 new Rangers, new Adventure cards, a few new cards for every deck, and 2 or 3 new Scenarios (which may also add Stage cards and group mission cards.

Can't wait, really hope this happens! I love the variety of heroes we have with DotR. Would love the same variety with DotLS.

Richard Launius wrote:
I hope you continue to enjoy the game.

I think we will. My wife pointed out that our strategy is getting somewhat formulaic ...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
we use guns, special artifacts and monstrosities to take Bama and Puke down to low health, then we build up red and yellow cards and then quickly take out all 4 leaders in just a few turns
... so I may have to come up with some house rules to counter that strategy.

But that strategy may only be working for us because of Josuah's power. Probably a lot different if he isn't in play ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to move around the board swiftly in DOTR/DOTLS is extremely useful because it helps control minion overruns and taints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.