Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New player, learning the rules. I've just graduated from the training scenario to scenario 25 (as suggested in the book). I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

In the rules for close assault, it says the unit must survive any fire and perform and related moral checks suffered due to entering the hex of the vehicle being attacked. I don't understand under what circumstances an infantry unit would have to deal with either of those, since the vehicle can't fire into its own hex and other units can't fire into that hex either since there are units from both sides present

What am I missing?

Also, why does a unit that successfully destroys a vehicle through close assault have to leave the vehicles hex at the end of the turn?

Thanks, Miguel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
I don't understand under what circumstances an infantry unit would have to deal with either of those, since the vehicle can't fire into its own hex and other units can't fire into that hex either since there are units from both sides present

AFAIK, infantry can't fire into a hex with friendly guns or infantry - doesn't restrict fire into one with armored vehicles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that's probably the part I missed. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
New player, learning the rules. I've just graduated from the training scenario to scenario 25 (as suggested in the book). I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

In the rules for close assault, it says the unit must survive any fire and perform and related moral checks suffered due to entering the hex of the vehicle being attacked. I don't understand under what circumstances an infantry unit would have to deal with either of those, since the vehicle can't fire into its own hex and other units can't fire into that hex either since there are units from both sides present

What am I missing?

Also, if an infantry unit is moving from two or more hexes away and moves into the hex adjacent to the vehicle, the vehicle (or someone else) could op fire the infantry unit as it enters the hex adjacent. I don't have the ruleset beside me to check if that's a possibility or whether you can op fire a unit moving into the same hex.

[edit] I just checked the 2.1 rules. Look at section 9.0, bottom of page 4:

Quote:
Exception: Op Fire MAY be conducted at a moving unit in
the hex in which it began the turn if the first hex it enters
places it in Melee. It is subject to all the modifiers that it
normally would be, including (possibly) moving in Open
Ground.

Looks like you just missed that rule.

So, an infantry unit trying to close assault a vehicle may potentially have to encounter fire in three situations: moving to get adjacent to the hex, fire as it moves into the hex when it started adjacent (per exception in section 9.0 shown above) and fire from enemy units outside the hex once it enters the hex.

[EDIT] The rule about Melee quoted above does not apply to Close Assault - see additional responses to this response below. [/EDIT]

Quote:
Also, why does a unit that successfully destroys a vehicle through close assault have to leave the vehicles hex at the end of the turn?

Thanks, Miguel

Military vehicles often carried a large amount of fuel and ammunition. If a vehicle was destroyed it sometimes carried a danger of catching on fire and "cooking off" ammunition (the ammunition being set off by the intense heat of the fire)

Imagine 20-30 rounds of high calibre HE munitions going off in quick succession. You generally don't want to be anywhere near something like that, much less within 20-30 yards. Even smaller vehicles with machine guns could have machine guns round cook off (imagine all the bullets of a machine gun belt (200+ rounds) going off randomly or almost all at once, in random directions.

Also, burning vehicles put off a tonne of noxious smoke. If you've ever been near a car fire, you know the smell and the smoke (I have). It's very unpleasant to be around.

Finally, even if you've knocked out a vehicle without setting it on fire or setting off its ammunition, you almost always make a lot of noise and attract a lot of attention doing so. A vehicle on a battlefield is relatively large compared to infantry and attracts a lot of eyes and attention. If you stick around near a vehicle after you've killed it, everyone knows where you are, which is generally a "very bad thing" when you're "squishy" infantry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
I just checked the 2.1 rules. Look at section 9.0, bottom of page 4:

Quote:
Exception: Op Fire MAY be conducted at a moving unit in
the hex in which it began the turn if the first hex it enters
places it in Melee. It is subject to all the modifiers that it
normally would be, including (possibly) moving in Open
Ground.

Looks like you just missed that rule.

I'm not sure that the exception applies in this case (at least as written). Close Assault is not Melee; quite the opposite, in fact. The attacking unit cannot remain in the target hex.

Just to add to the rationale for the attacking unit "retreating" to its original hex, this really reflects the reality of close assaulting a vehicle. The squad leader would task one or two (very fast!) soldiers to approach the vehicle as quickly as possible, toss the satchel charge or explosive, and retreat back to the squad's location. Remaining near an exploding tank is dangerous. Remaining near a tank that didn't explode even more so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not sure that the exception applies in this case (at least as written). Close Assault is not Melee; quite the opposite, in fact. The attacking unit cannot remain in the target hex.

That is correct. The exception only applies to melee and not close assault. That is usually not a problem for units firing from outside of the hex because they can fire at the enemy in the hex with the vehicle, but it does mean that the vehicle itself will not be able to respond if the unit started adjacent.

Strategy tip: Avoid having your vehicles adjacent to enemy infantry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:

That is correct. The exception only applies to melee and not close assault. That is usually not a problem for units firing from outside of the hex because they can fire at the enemy in the hex with the vehicle, but it does mean that the vehicle itself will not be able to respond if the unit started adjacent.

Strategy tip: Avoid having your vehicles adjacent to enemy infantry.

Corrected by the designer! Shame on me. cry

In my defence, I actually have only very rarely been in a position where my tanks were in danger from close assaulting infantry and conversely, where my infantry were in a position to threaten tanks, so the rule hasn't come up all that often.

I guess we take the designer's tactical advice to heart.

Now, Panzershrecks and Panzerfausts... I hate those things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

As I said, I'm trying out scenario 25 and I can't get over how round 1 went. The Germans have limited setup options in this one as they are all squeezed on the western edge of the board. The Russians had set up a number of units in the forest lining the east side of the road. The Germans tried to clear out some of these by activating their tanks first but I rolled two 10s, making this initial volley completely ineffective. A lone Russian unit then saw the opportunity and rushed one of the tanks to try a close assault (all the German units can't see because of the row of trees). The tank fails the op fire roll and the Russian rolls a 1 for the assault.

Boom. Germans down one tank in round one.

Ok, so military strategy is not my strong suit, so that was probably poor play coupled with ridiculously unlucky and improbable rolling, but I don't anticipate the Germans will have much of a chance in this battle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When we played scenario 25 the Germans steamrolled over the Russians, so I wouldn't be so quick. Send in the German infantry first and use their superior firepower to clear the way for the tanks. The Russians are probably better off starting inside the woods, not at the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't finished yet, but I will say that so far it looks like the tides are indeed turning. When I set up the Russians, I generally lined them up to defend the road. After a few turns, the Germans were able to eliminate or neutralize most of the front line, particularly to the north. The infantry is now rushing along the mostly undefended north line while the remaining tank and a few infantry are slowly gaining ground on the road. The scenario condition that Russian units from a different board can't leave their board until shots have been fired is really paralyzing them.

Anyways, having fun seeing how this turns out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.