Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Conlon
Australia
Berowra
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
For 'Evil Stirs', when resolving step 1. 'Fight the madness', if the sanity die roll triggers an Awakening Ritual (i.e. if the die result is Paranoid, adding two cultists to the current location, where there are already one or more cultists), should the Awakening Ritual be resolved immediately (before step 2. 'Awakening'), or should you complete all the steps of Evil Stirs first?

In the Summoning step, does placing a cultist occur before moving a Shoggoth (where a Shoggoth Move symbol is revealed), or the other way around?
And do Awakening rituals triggered during the Summoning step (i.e. by either the placing of a cultist or the movement of a Shoggoth on an open gate) resolve immediately, or after you complete all cultist placement and Shoggoth movement in the Summoning step first?

Can relic cards be played mid-resolution of game steps? While it is clearly stated in the rules that a relic cannot be played during the Draw Cards step if an 'Evil Stirs' card is revealed... Can a relic be played during the Summoning step, inbetween flipping a card and placing the cultist or moving a Shoggoth (where a Shoggoth Move symbol is revealed)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonconlon wrote:
For 'Evil Stirs', when resolving step 1. 'Fight the madness', if the sanity die roll triggers an Awakening Ritual (i.e. if the die result is Paranoid, adding two cultists to the current location, where there are already one or more cultists), should the Awakening Ritual be resolved immediately (before step 2. 'Awakening'), or should you complete all the steps of Evil Stirs first?

we play that awakening ritual interrupts whatever is currently happening.

Quote:
In the Summoning step, does placing a cultist occur before moving a Shoggoth (where a Shoggoth Move symbol is revealed), or the other way around?

The only scenario where this might matter is if placing the cultists or moving the shoggoth triggered an awakening. I'd play that these happen simultaneously.

Quote:
And do Awakening rituals triggered during the Summoning step (i.e. by either the placing of a cultist or the movement of a Shoggoth on an open gate) resolve immediately, or after you complete all cultist placement and Shoggoth movement in the Summoning step first?

We do immediately.

Quote:
Can relic cards be played mid-resolution of game steps? While it is clearly stated in the rules that a relic cannot be played during the Draw Cards step if an 'Evil Stirs' card is revealed... Can a relic be played during the Summoning step, inbetween flipping a card and placing the cultist or moving a Shoggoth (where a Shoggoth Move symbol is revealed)?

once you draw a card, you resolve that card before doing anything else. in the case of drawing clue cards, you draw 2 cards at a time, which is why you can't do it between this cards either (in the event of 2 evil stirs cards).

Since the cards are flipped one at a time during the summoning step, you may place cards inbetween.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Conlon
Australia
Berowra
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the suggestions.

mfl134 wrote:
once you draw a card, you resolve that card before doing anything else. in the case of drawing clue cards, you draw 2 cards at a time, which is why you can't do it between this cards either (in the event of 2 evil stirs cards).

Note that the rules state "When 2 Evil Stirs are drawn together, Relics can be played after resolving the first Evil Stirs."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Collins
Australia
Melbourne
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My timing question is where the Magician has 4 actions, moves to a Shoggoth with their first action and the die roll makes them go insane (down to 3 actions for game remainder). Am I immediately on 2 actions remaining or 3? I.E. can I remove the Shoggoth or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think, if your actions are reduced mid-turn, you lose the unspent action. Of course, if it's your last action that triggers the roll, you've planned well.

I use a symmetry argument to support this. On page 9, players who regain their sanity immediately gain an action as a result.

That said, we played it wrong last night, but the post-game flip of cards revealed that the extra turn to close the gate would have made no difference to the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Collins
Australia
Melbourne
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Nathan, I agree with your reasoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector-Xavier de Lastic
Greece
flag msg tools
Another question:

One should be allowed to use Relics between each draw during the Summoning step, as one can do during the Card Draw step.

Once a Summoning card is drawn, one cannot "respond" with a Relic before the Cultist is placed and the Shoggoth moves.

If that card initiates a cascade of Awakenings, are they considered part of resolving it? In other words, could one interrupt this cascade with Relics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector_Xavier wrote:
If that card initiates a cascade of Awakenings, are they considered part of resolving it? In other words, could one interrupt this cascade with Relics?

I would play that they could not be interrupted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.