Support:

Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
"Randy Perkins, a Democrat running for Congress in Florida's 18th district (a rare open seat), berated his Republican opponent, Brian Mast, on Monday for claiming that his military service qualifies him to serve in Congress.

'So tell me why the sacrifices and the services that you have provided for this country make you capable of solving issues?' Perkins asked Mast, a double-amputee veteran of the war in Afghanistan...

'Well, it's what's involved in that service that makes me very capable of solving any number of those issues,' Mast responded.

Before Mast could explain how he would address various issues, Perkins interjected and told him to pick two specifically.

Mast named the ongoing problems with the Department of Veteran Affairs and recent changes to the rules of engagement for combat as issues for which he could offer solutions if elected to Congress. Perkins again interrupted Mast before he could offer his solutions.

...Perkins appeared to object to ads portraying him benefiting from pay-to-play business schemes.

'You'll let the (National Republican Congressional Committee) do your dirty work for you, but you're not man enough to stand behind your own ads,' Perkins said. 'So be a man, and stand behind your own ads.'

'I'm constantly a man,' Mast replied."

http://freebeacon.com/politics/dem-congressional-candidate-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the guy that said that (you don't stand) is gonna lose.

I do love how the threatened masculinity guy didn't say "I stand behind my ads" but instead "I am a man."

How droll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"C'mon, Chuck, stand up." - Joe Biden to Chuck,, who is in a wheelchair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
"C'mon, Chuck, stand up." - Joe Biden to Chuck,, who is in a wheelchair.

That was bad, but at least Biden's gaffe was just silly. This will hurt the competitor's chances more as it has a better chance of being interpreted as being malicious.

And hell, if it WAS malicious, the guy deserves to lose. It was probably incompetence rather than malevolence, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda thought ableist stuff was skeleton territory.

That said, guy sounds like a dick, but I'm also not a huge fan of immunity to criticism based on past action either.

I hugely respect soldiers for being able to do things I'm not capable or willing to do, but this doesn't mean they are immune to being called out on shit either. You can be brave on the battlefield and a social coward. Excellent service in the armed forces do not necessarily translate to excellent service in public office. Etc.

Anyhow, yeah. Guy sounds like a dick, though I imagine the "stand" bit is just an unfortunate consequence of common phrasing. That said, yeah, if it was intentional, fuck 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
I kinda thought ableist stuff was skeleton territory.

That said, guy sounds like a dick, but I'm also not a huge fan of immunity to criticism based on past action either.

I hugely respect soldiers for being able to do things I'm not capable or willing to do, but this doesn't mean they are immune to being called out on shit either. You can be brave on the battlefield and a social coward. Excellent service in the armed forces do not necessarily translate to excellent service in public office. Etc.

Anyhow, yeah. Guy sounds like a dick, though I imagine the "stand" bit is just an unfortunate consequence of common phrasing. That said, yeah, if it was intentional, fuck 'em.
I think this every time some dick comes out with idea like "veterans in schools". Solders do not (and should not be granted) special moral status.

I am also going to have to bring up swift boating here. If you do not want solders mocked, how about not mocking decorated veterans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Won!

Brian Mast 53.6%
Randy Perkins 43.0%

10 percentage points is pretty good considering that a Democrat is currently holding the seat until January.

Tammy Duckworth who also lost both of her legs was also elected to the U.S. Senate in Illinois.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
im glad that someone who attacks another person for his disability cannot get elected to public office in america
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.