Hide
16 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hunger choice made before or after die rolls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Semmen
msg tools
When Darkness uses Hunger, must the result (2 Routs or 1 Kill) be chosen before dice are rolled? The print-and-play doesn't specify, so in our last game we let Darkness choose afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hunger (Battle) instead
of rolling her die
Mistress automatically
inflicts a Kill in Battle.
Alternatively you may
choose to have her
inflict 2 Routs instead."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording you bolded doesn't answer the question - when can you choose 2 Routs or 1 Kill, before or after the dice are rolled?

I think the implication is before, but it isn't clearly stated.

Cheers,

Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you choose to roll the dice then it's no longer possible to use Hunger.

English is not my native language but "instead of" seem pretty clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mormorod wrote:

Yes, but that isn't the question.

You choose to use Hunger, you don't roll dice for Cragspider, but roll all other battle dice (for Shades, Trolls, etc. who may be present). At some point you choose whether to inflict 2 Routs or 1 Kill. Does that happen when you choose to use Hunger (i.e. Before any dice are rolled) or can you choose once you see the results of the other dice?

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
Mormorod wrote:

Yes, but that isn't the question.

You choose to use Hunger, you don't roll dice for Cragspider, but roll all other battle dice (for Shades, Trolls, etc. who may be present). At some point you choose whether to inflict 2 Routs or 1 Kill. Does that happen when you choose to use Hunger (i.e. Before any dice are rolled) or can you choose once you see the results of the other dice?

Cheers,
Graham

Ok, i see... but i don't have an answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You don't roll the dice individually. You roll them all at once, so you must choose first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:
You don't roll the dice individually. You roll them all at once, so you must choose first.

If you mean "whether to use Hunger at all", I agree. If you mean "whether to get a Kill or 2 Routs for Hunger", I also agree, but I'm not sure that the rules actually say that...

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it reads perfectly well to imply that you have to choose before rolling the other dice in the combat. You wouldn't be getting that information before rolling, so you shouldn't get it before choosing the modality of Hunger. It might be nice to have clarifying text, but if you add clarifying text for every case like this in the actual rules you could end up with a legal document. Maybe it could go in a FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except:

"Instead of rolling her dice in Battle, Cragspider can choose to inflict either one Kill or two Routs automatically."

is less text and less open to other interpretations.

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of the recent playtest videos, the Darkness player chose the results before dice were rolled. That also is what makes the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of other cards require clarification, such as the rune "plant" for example: Can it be used to upgrade an opponent's building?

EDIT : Ok Adams I've just see your answer in the rule section. You're right it's a better move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hm, is she not listed as "Pre-Battle"? My first, second and third inclination is you make the choice before rolling any dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just "Battle"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Semmen
msg tools
Thanks for the discussion. I also leaned toward the choice being made ahead of time but the group decided to give the benefit of the doubt to Darkness, who was playing for the first time. However, if the Petersens' playtest video shows the choice being made first then I'll take that as the correct interpretation.

For wording I would have chosen something like,

"Hunger (Battle): Instead of rolling a die for the Mistress, inflict either one additional Kill or 2 additional Routs. Choose before dice are rolled."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Ahh, I suppose it's because even if you make the choice before the battle (IE: Pre-Battle), the effect applies during regular combat resolution. "Choose before dice are rolled" would make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.