$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.58

7,768 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargame magazine index rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edmond le Serulx
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some magazines (The General, Battleplan, Europa news/magazine, Special Ops...) have a complete index here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Special_Ops#
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_Europa_Magazine_Inde...#
...

C3i has a near complete one: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/C3I

Wargamer, Moves, Fire & Movement index are very incomplete.
However there is much material here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18785/miscellaneous-game... (especially images of table of contents).
The wiki pages also have web links (Web Grognard among them).

Any volunteers willing to help to improve those index ?
This could be great to remind us which interesting article/magazine were related to a game.

(General page: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Game_magazines#; see also http://tacticalwargamer.com/magazines/magazines.htm)
6 
 Thumb up
5.27
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Costikyan has/had an index for all the SPI issues of Moves:

www.costik.com/spicom/moves.html

Google still finds that page, but it seems like the server is down.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 100 or so issues of various wargaming magazines from the last 40 years, so I could probably help fill in some gaps, but I could not figure out if there was already a good place to do so? I would be happy to add something to a wiki or similar, someplace easy to search and easy to download (so I can have a local backup... I do not want to just add information to the cloud somewhere just to see it suddenly vanish like stuff on the cloud always do eventually).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond le Serulx
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Greg Costikyan has/had an index for all the SPI issues of Moves:

Yes but incomplete as far as I can remember.

pelni wrote:
I do not want to just add information to the cloud somewhere just to see it suddenly vanish like stuff on the cloud always do eventually).


Yes this is a concern but it is possible to have the index in different format: .doc, wiki, pdf ...etc
We can even save the wiki pages probably.

A first work would be to scan the missing table of contents for either magazine you choose to index.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Grognard used to have indexes also. Check this out:

http://grognard.com/Archives.aspx#pageTop


And, there is one of The General floating around somewhere.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond le Serulx
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already checked Web Grognard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulx wrote:
Some magazines (The General, Battleplan, Europa news/magazine, Special Ops...) have a complete index here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Special_Ops#
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_Europa_Magazine_Inde...#
...

C3i has a near complete one: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/C3I

Wargamer, Moves, Fire & Movement index are very incomplete.
However there is much material here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18785/miscellaneous-game... (especially images of table of contents).
The wiki pages also have web links (Web Grognard among them).

Any volunteers willing to help to improve those index ?
This could be great to remind us which interesting article/magazine were related to a game.

(General page: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Game_magazines#; see also http://tacticalwargamer.com/magazines/magazines.htm)


I'm quite lazy, so not going to be much of a help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wilding
United States
Old Tappan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was a web site called Boone's Gaming Home Page that was a great resource for war game magazines. There site is now defunct but most of the content is available on the Wayback Machine. The Wayback machine has multiple snapshots of that site.

Wayback Machine URL -
https://archive.org/web/

TYPE the following URL into the Wayback Machine search line -

members.cox.net/mrboone/wg_home.html

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, we maintain an article index of ''Against the Odds'' here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Against_the_Odds_Article...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond le Serulx
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ATO has indeed an updated index which is great for a magazine approaching 50 issues.
I didn't mention all magazines because I try to focus on the missing index.

mwilding wrote:
There was a web site called Boone's Gaming Home Page that was a great resource for war game magazines.


Great website ! Old magazines are all there with images and TOC: this is to be copied before contents disappears. This gentleman did an incredible job !!!
Magazine cover images are small but here on BGG, there are quite many.

All table of contents should be copied on one page but if there are many volunteers, we can do it easily.
For example Battleplan has a full index: [https://web.archive.org/web/20081015220513/http://members.cox.net/mrboone/mag_bplan/battleplan_index.txt] (copy the whole link in your browser)
FGA Boardgame Journal has an issue per issue index: [https://web.archive.org/web/20100219044133/http://members.cox.net/mrboone/mag_fga_bj/mag_fga_bj.html]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rulx wrote:
Some magazines (The General, Battleplan, Europa news/magazine, Special Ops...) have a complete index here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Special_Ops#
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_Europa_Magazine_Inde...#
...

I don't think it proper to leave the grand daddy of them all as a mere inference in the ellipsis: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_General_Index#

I'll add that if you want the whole enchilada rather than an index most if not all issues are freely (and legally) available for viewing or download here: https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22The+Avalon...

Lastly, you'll find a fairly comprehensive index here: http://grognard.com/Archives.aspx#pageTop (scroll 1/3 of the way down to 'Wargaming Magazines').

[edit] oops, I see others have beaten me to the punch on most or all of that...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond le Serulx
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I don't think it proper to leave the grand daddy of them all as a mere inference in the ellipsis: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_General_Index#


Well check each link for example: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_GENERAL_Vol.1%2CNo.1# (include all characters)


Many of Mark Boone index are on Web Grognard but not all... (his Moves and Wargamer index, for example, aren't there).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

darthhugo wrote:
rulx wrote:
Some magazines (The General, Battleplan, Europa news/magazine, Special Ops...) have a complete index here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Special_Ops#
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_Europa_Magazine_Inde...#
...

C3i has a near complete one: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/C3I

Wargamer, Moves, Fire & Movement index are very incomplete.
However there is much material here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18785/miscellaneous-game... (especially images of table of contents).
The wiki pages also have web links (Web Grognard among them).

Any volunteers willing to help to improve those index ?
This could be great to remind us which interesting article/magazine were related to a game.

(General page: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Game_magazines#; see also http://tacticalwargamer.com/magazines/magazines.htm)


I'm quite lazy, so not going to be much of a help.


Hey, don't sell yourself short. You managed to click on reply AND type 50 characters for one post!
You then had to click on Submit (though I assume you were too lazy to hit Preview, and check it out before hand). devil

You should celebrate!


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

darthhugo wrote:
rulx wrote:
Some magazines (The General, Battleplan, Europa news/magazine, Special Ops...) have a complete index here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Special_Ops#
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_Europa_Magazine_Inde...#
...

C3i has a near complete one: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/C3I

Wargamer, Moves, Fire & Movement index are very incomplete.
However there is much material here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18785/miscellaneous-game... (especially images of table of contents).
The wiki pages also have web links (Web Grognard among them).

Any volunteers willing to help to improve those index ?
This could be great to remind us which interesting article/magazine were related to a game.

(General page: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Game_magazines#; see also http://tacticalwargamer.com/magazines/magazines.htm)


I'm quite lazy, so not going to be much of a help.


Hey, don't sell yourself short. You managed to click on reply AND type 50 characters for one post!
You then had to click on Submit (though I assume you were too lazy to hit Preview, and check it out before hand). devil

You should celebrate!




Does this get me an award? Like a person to perform at least one month's work that I should be doing?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decision Games has a complete index of Strategy and Tactics and Moves

http://strategyandtacticsmagazine.com/site/article-index/


If you sub to the Premium membership, that index is much more detailed, including errata, summaries, etc and full access to all the issues digitally.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
rulx wrote:
Some magazines (The General, Battleplan, Europa news/magazine, Special Ops...) have a complete index here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Special_Ops#
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_Europa_Magazine_Inde...#
...

I don't think it proper to leave the grand daddy of them all as a mere inference in the ellipsis: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_General_Index#

I'll add that if you want the whole enchilada rather than an index most if not all issues are freely (and legally) available for viewing or download here: https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22The+Avalon...

Lastly, you'll find a fairly comprehensive index here: http://grognard.com/Archives.aspx#pageTop (scroll 1/3 of the way down to 'Wargaming Magazines').

[edit] oops, I see others have beaten me to the punch on most or all of that...


The relevant issues of The AH General at archive.org also include scans of the subscriber bonus countersheets.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
darthhugo wrote:
tanik wrote:

darthhugo wrote:
rulx wrote:
Some magazines (The General, Battleplan, Europa news/magazine, Special Ops...) have a complete index here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Special_Ops#
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/The_Europa_Magazine_Inde...#
...

C3i has a near complete one: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/C3I

Wargamer, Moves, Fire & Movement index are very incomplete.
However there is much material here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18785/miscellaneous-game... (especially images of table of contents).
The wiki pages also have web links (Web Grognard among them).

Any volunteers willing to help to improve those index ?
This could be great to remind us which interesting article/magazine were related to a game.

(General page: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Game_magazines#; see also http://tacticalwargamer.com/magazines/magazines.htm)


I'm quite lazy, so not going to be much of a help.


Hey, don't sell yourself short. You managed to click on reply AND type 50 characters for one post!
You then had to click on Submit (though I assume you were too lazy to hit Preview, and check it out before hand). devil

You should celebrate!




Does this get me an award? Like a person to perform at least one month's work that I should be doing?



Gettin' a little carried away now! shake

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutre
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
For miniature wargaming magazines:

http://snv-ttm.blogspot.be/p/wargames-magazine-database.html
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.