11 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Co-op play?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
msg tools
mb
I heard Tom Vasel mention that this was redesigned to be a co-op game. Can anyone confirm this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of game is Mechs vs Minions?

Mechs vs Minions is a fully cooperative tabletop game for 2-4 players. Using programmatic movement from a shared draft, teammates will grow in power as they face off against armies of marauding minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you not trust Tom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Secret Cabal podcast (episode Express 18) interviewed Chris Cantrell and he talked about the journey of this game from competitive to co-op, if anyone is interested.

It's released on the feeds (like itunes) but not yet posted on their site as of this moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
I heard Tom Vasel mention that this was redesigned to be a co-op game. Can anyone confirm this?

With redesigned, you mean that this was originally conceived as a team vs team game like LoL?

(Are you interested in the design process or in the resulting game? I should think the latter is rather obvious.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a MOBA style game. Yes LoL is a MOBA game, but this board game is simply using the IP from LoL not the actual gameplay. There would be no real way to play this game PvP or Team vs Team based upon the reviews shown thus far.

My bet is that this game may fall flat with many LoL players, but will be a HUGE hit with many in the BGG community. The LoL community is going to expect a MOBA style game, and will not be getting that in the box.

The closest game comparison to this would be Robo Rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:

My bet is that this game may fall flat with many LoL players, but will be a HUGE hit with many in the BGG community. The LoL community is going to expect a MOBA style game, and will not be getting that in the box.

There's also nowhere near enough potential to be completely toxic in a co-operative game... at least I hope not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mb
PiHalbe wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:

With redesigned, you mean that this was originally conceived as a team vs team game like LoL?

That's my understanding, yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc LeBlanc
United States
California
flag msg tools
The game was originally a "coopetitive" game where all the players were competing to get the highest minion kill count, but there was also "minion victory" condition where all the players lost. So the players had to work together to avoid mutual defeat, but were working against each other to be the sole winner.

Over time the team decided that just working together to stop the minions was more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mahk wrote:

Over time the team decided that just working together to stop the minions was more fun.

A very good call imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mahk wrote:
The game was originally a "coopetitive" game where all the players were competing to get the highest minion kill count, but there was also "minion victory" condition where all the players lost. So the players had to work together to avoid mutual defeat, but were working against each other to be the sole winner.

Maybe the competitive rules can come out online some time to play that way. I like game where you are against who you are working with. Between Two Cities comes to mind. I like co-ops also though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.