Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MoV is a well designed game, it is wired if a ship type simply is useless.

But after many games, no one in my group had ever employed Freighter successfully. And we always play $4,000 game.

Any of you know how to employ it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Monte
United States
Glendale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always consider it an option but usually things don't line up correctly for me to want to buy it. I have seen it be successful and heard rumors of this even in a 2000 game. I did play one 2 player 4000 game where a freighter worked but, that wasn't a competitive game.

Here are a few things that need to be in place for you to make this work. Now granted, this isn't exhaustive but it would be my criteria and first thoughts.

- an IOU for a yellow culture.
- lots of cash on hand.

and:

- you buy the freighter at your port and can sell it at your own port. These better be already in place. You'll either need to buy a clipper/transport when you sell it then continue selling to go for the win OR buy a scout and buy a port/factory for the win.
- demands at 4b for spice are all out and you are really close to the 2 peeps when you buy the freighter.
- demands at 7a for dust are all out and you just bought the freighter at 4a and you're really close. +++ if there is demand for chicle liquor...forget which culture has the big demand for these guys, probably 8?
- you somehow manage to buy every servo mechanism and/or psycho sculpture (add on the factory good at 10 also), sell and buy em both at ports. That'd be cool. Shoot, if you sold every servo at a port you'd get 120 in commissions, plus the 80 for buying them at a port.
- there is a string of friendly ports with cultures that all have lots of goods.

and it's extra nice if you have one of the following:

- you have the relic yellow drive.
- you have the auto pilot
- you have the jump start and the telegates work.
- you have mulligan gear.

If you can pick one or two criteria from each of my lists, buying a freighter might work and get you a good bit of profit. If they didn't exist, it probably wouldn't occur to me to buy one.

If you have the full boat of spice demands at 4b and sell five spice, the first spice sale essentially pays for your freighter. I did some math, didn't do it precisely but, I found you'd still make around 400 in profit. If going from 4a to 7a its closer to 300 or so but you have the option to keep going with goods that are already in demand.

Many folks think the freighter it better in longer games. I sort of disagree, they're bad long term. The goods won't replenish fast enough for you. They're good for maybe one - three sales that are set up just right and hopefully you've just won or can at least buy an asset with the trade in, or maybe a transport if the game has a bit more life in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually go for the Transport, but the Freighter is a good option if you are playing a longer game (if everyone has agreed to play to a much higher amount of money for the victory condition). But you really need to maximize your movement. A combo drive (or a red and yellow drive which will use more cargo space unless you have the yellow drive relic), at least 1 shield (and preferably a second one, which will take up cargo space), and some relics that let you alter your dice roll and/or pilot number can make it a formidable ship in the later game (if playing a long game) because you will be able to buy up most (or all) of the goods at a system and deliver them (if there is a station, preferably yours, there) all at once, (but each one separately) using all of the bonuses that might be there for that good.

ewokracoonbreder wrote:
Many folks think the freighter it better in longer games. I sort of disagree, they're bad long term. The goods won't replenish fast enough for you. They're good for maybe one - three sales that are set up just right and hopefully you've just won or can at least buy an asset with the trade in, or maybe a transport if the game has a bit more life in it.

I agree pretty much, which is why I suggest waiting until the game is further along in a long game. If there are good routes set up (and especially teleports to take you more quickly to the next system you need to visit), the Freighter can work well. Even if there aren't enough goods at a system to fill your hold, you will have extra room for passengers, and/or you can pick up goods from more than one system along the route en route to delivering other goods.

NOTE: I am basing my opinions on the old Avalon Hill version of the game, and also the "Classic" version of the FFG game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Monte
United States
Glendale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:

I agree pretty much, which is why I suggest waiting until the game is further along in a long game. If there are good routes set up (and especially teleports to take you more quickly to the next system you need to visit), the Freighter can work well. Even if there aren't enough goods at a system to fill your hold, you will have extra room for passengers, and/or you can pick up goods from more than one system along the route en route to delivering other goods.

Yeah Judy, I know what you're saying. I suppose it's just overall more likely that a situation where buying a freighter makes the most sense is in a longer game as opposed to a shorter one. I think I've actually misinterpreted what folks were saying every time they mentioned "freighters make more sense in a longer game". You're just more likely to have more cash, have more ports in play, and for there to be more demands on the board to justify the purchase in a longer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McNulty
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's an extremely well balanced game so my feeling is that it can't be useless or they wouldn't have made it so expensive.

I usually throw money that isn't tied down at a new station or a factory. When I've seen people win with freighters it's because they were hauling a lot of finest dust to a huge demand, and could follow it up with a space spice run or something. It was never done without demands being tied to it in my presence.

The point being, I don't think you could do it as a strategy with expensive goods. By the time you could fill the ship the game would be over.

Freighters are levers for exploiting cheap goods over short distances in a map filled with stations.

Consider a situation where players are considering a pick up of some finest dust and hauling it to a neighbor. It has a pattern of (buy 10, sell 50, profit 40). Someone with two holds is going to make 80 per trip. Someone running five holds will make 200 profit but he won't make a second trip because there won't be more than 1 finest dust left. The person with two holds has to make 3 round trips to get the same profit. Even with a double speed advantage (like a clipper) that means a lot of deadheading.

Also don't forget that if the freighter gets there first he's going to skunk anyone who is eating his engine exhaust.

Meanwhile the guy with the clipper would make the same calculation and try to work a more expensive good, such as servomechanisms rather than lose so much time.

So, it really depends a lot on how far the freighter has to move to do things. And all the other fun factors such as gates, relics and drives.

It requires a developed board or you spend too much time at cities buying and selling and because the stations shorten the distance between trades. The board has to be very much in your favor.

Passengers aren't much help to your bottom line since they're mostly traveling against the flow of normal trade. They actually hurt you if you haul them instead of leaving them on the board. There are 10 in the cup at the beginning of the game, and it has 48 counters, so if they're all out and no one hauls them the cup is more likely to pop out a demand marker or good that someone wants. They are really only best if you need some quick cash and can't get it any other way, IMO.

Hard to do? Very. Conditions have to be right and the player has to recognize when it is better to haul cheap goods on a freighter than expensive goods on another ship, and that there's enough time left in the game to make the money back from the purchase.

I've probably seen it twice in 50 or so games. And I wasn't sure in either case whether the player couldn't have just done something else and was kind of showing off.

I think the next time I play I might try to push my way into a strategy involving this if I can figure a good way to work it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lychenus Laplace
msg tools
1. Jump drives with lots of jump gates
2. Red and Yellow Drives
3. Or having a short triangular optimal route, where everyone will be in the loop depleting the goods anyway.

Otherwise I think it is a very niche ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One player at the WBC has a reputation for using the Freighter and has had success with it, even in the $2000 game. He made the finals last year,

You need to get both red and yellow drives and have routes that have stuff to buy.

But when it doesn't work, it can be pitiful, though.

One key that players miss is the ability to trade in the Freighter (for a Scout) and drives for port or factory and get half their cost back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.