Josh Buel
United States
Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am toying around with a card game idea where you try to fight other players with the cards you have in your hand. The problem is you only know how powerful other player's cards are and not your own (you hold your hand of cards facing outwards like in Hanabi). Whoever would have the highest number card would win in a fight(perhaps the attacker would also add a dice result).

The other idea I had in the same manner was item cards, where you had to choose to either use it on yourself or another player. Depending on what the item was, the result would be different. For example throwing a Shuriken would wound another player but using it on yourself would cut your finger and make you drop some cards.

Does this sound too chaotic or is there some chance of bluffing / strategy? I anticipate i will be alpha testing this with some friends soon. for combat cards i was simply thinking of using 1 to 10. Would a rock/paper/ scissor system be better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
The strategy would have to be in trying to deduce what sort of card you have in hand based on other players' willingness to fight you.

Assuming table talk is encouraged, then bluffing can become a fun part of the game as you try to play mind games with your opponents. At the same time, you have to be able to filter what the other players are saying or doing.

It does sound like chaos, but it also sounds fun. There is something really satisfying about being able to successfully read the other players and pull out a win. For people who like social deduction games, the tension leading up to the end, and the high that comes from winning tends to outweigh the frustration from what sometimes seems like random outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Hanabi I have incentive to give information to other players that is new and helpful, because the narrative of the story says the group will be collectively beheaded if I do not.

In this game, it sounds as if I want to give my opponent useless or repetitive information because if I give useful information, they will win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buel
United States
Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I had another idea. The way your health would be tracked would be turning cards towards you, making you more dangerous to other plays since they don't have as much information. once you see all of your cards you are out. Does that sound interesting or not really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Thyssen
Denmark
flag msg tools
When I read this, I was immediately thinking about how in martial arts and boxing, telepgrahing can make your opponent read what you do. Either by how you move your hips or shoulders. So maybe instead of having to rely the cards in your opponents hand they actually "telegraphs" which kind of moves he can throw at you currently.

I don't have any ideas about how to implement it. but as byronczimmer said you don't really have any incentive to share information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkbgame wrote:
I had another idea. The way your health would be tracked would be turning cards towards you, making you more dangerous to other plays since they don't have as much information. once you see all of your cards you are out. Does that sound interesting or not really?

It sounds interesting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paphoved wrote:
When I read this, I was immediately thinking about how in martial arts and boxing, telepgrahing can make your opponent read what you do.

There's a card game (I think it's by David Parlett) where the backs of each suit are different colours so you have some information about what everyone else is holding. Something similar could be used to implement your idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishhammer wrote:
The strategy would have to be in trying to deduce what sort of card you have in hand based on other players' willingness to fight you.

Yes, I'd have thought something simple could work, though it might be fairly chaotic and mainly be about bluffing.

Using Hanabi - deal everyone a hand of 5 cards which can't be reordered and you must use the cards on the right first in a fight. It would need some mechanism where people propose fights giving the number of cards they want to use in the fight. If proposed fights din't always go ahead then you could deduce something about you cards by how many cards an opponent wanted to use in a fight (if everyone who wants to fight me only wants to use one card then by first card is likely to be low and my second one high for instance, of course everyone might be bluffing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paphoved wrote:
When I read this, I was immediately thinking about how in martial arts and boxing, telepgrahing can make your opponent read what you do. Either by how you move your hips or shoulders. So maybe instead of having to rely the cards in your opponents hand they actually "telegraphs" which kind of moves he can throw at you currently.

I don't have any ideas about how to implement it. but as byronczimmer said you don't really have any incentive to share information.

I think this is a good idea - maybe the cards are double-sided, so you know what move you're doing, but you don't know what you're telegraphing to your opponent.

I like the health idea too, though not sure how to fold that in to the above idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Thyssen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Boots01 wrote:
Paphoved wrote:

I think this is a good idea - maybe the cards are double-sided, so you know what move you're doing, but you don't know what you're telegraphing to your opponent.

I like the health idea too, though not sure how to fold that in to the above idea.

I thought about it a little more. Maybe there are always to colours on the cards back. So you know it's either a kick or dodge. Or it could be a punch or a block. But you're never 100% certain.

Another idea could be that most moves have a cardback that represents if it's a lower, mid or upper attack. But some cards are bluff cards, that off by 1 or levels of attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
just from reading the title of the thread I like the idea

I would be curious to see how you implement it.

idea comes to mind of a 3+ player game, you would keep the same cards, but not reveal them after combat. instead a third player could simply say who won. you'd get an idea of what the card you used was like but still not know for sure what it is capable of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.