Subject: In 20 years, this country is going blue in a big way rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Wishcasting [+] [View All]
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Was reading an article this morning talking about how Clinton isn't winning over millennials, and would probably vote for Stein or Johnson. And looking at the number, it's mind numbing how very progressive the millennials have really become. I thought I was a bit of a lefty. Wrong, I am downright centrist in nature.

Quote:
What is it that millennials actually want? Around 70% favor wealth redistribution, one Gallup poll found, and many are eager to avoid six-figure debt for things like education and routine visits to the doctor’s office. The Movement for Black Lives released a detailed policy agenda this summer with plenty of ideas for senior Clinton staffers, and round-the-clock protests against the Dakota Access pipeline should give them a sense for where young Americans stand on new fossil fuel infrastructure and violations of indigenous rights.

I mean, this is what RSP conservatives really need to worry about. Not only is their platform dwindling, in 20 years(when a lot more boomers die off), it's going to be downright left behind.

Republicans MAY get away with a spite win this election(probably not), but subsequent elections is going to decimate the party of Lincoln.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait until they are the 1%ers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
And the Republican party will evolve - just like parties have evolved throughout ages. (hell it may blow up 6 months from now....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
And the Republican party will evolve - just like parties have evolved throughout ages. (hell it may blow up 6 months from now....)

Would Lincoln even recognize the party as it is now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

No, he wouldn't. Because he has decomposed.

Too soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

No, he wouldn't. Because he has decomposed.

Too soon?
I said would, not could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting to see if the Democrats will pivot left. They are really a center right party, but would need to probably move leftward. That could open up space for the Republicans or whatever is left of them to claim the center right, and jettison their fringe. Then we could have two parties making worthy ideas to choose from instead of the current state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

you know the answer to that question - just like FDR or Woodrow Wilson would not recognize the Democrat party of today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

you know the answer to that question - just like FDR or Woodrow Wilson would not recognize the Democrat party of today.
Which is of course, the point.

As was said parties change and evolve. Not (to be fair) in 20 years, but certainly in 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

Who cares? From what I hear from modern Republicans, he's the Worst President Ever {tm}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agre with the article on many points. Occupy Wallstreet, though chaotic, fragmented and rudderless was about this. It petered out because of lack of leadership and even a cohesive singular vision or platform, but it was the upswell of discontent with the Clintons of the world from both parties. The alleged "centrists" are simply oligarchs trying to keep the boat from rocking too much while skimming off the top of the rations for themselves. Even if it is unconscious, Hillary is seen as establishment and unsatisfactory.

Anyone but Trump and Hillary would be thinking of conceding already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Was reading an article this morning talking about how Clinton isn't winning over millennials, and would probably vote for Stein or Johnson. And looking at the number, it's mind numbing how very progressive the millennials have really become. I thought I was a bit of a lefty. Wrong, I am downright centrist in nature.

Quote:
What is it that millennials actually want? Around 70% favor wealth redistribution, one Gallup poll found, and many are eager to avoid six-figure debt for things like education and routine visits to the doctor’s office. The Movement for Black Lives released a detailed policy agenda this summer with plenty of ideas for senior Clinton staffers, and round-the-clock protests against the Dakota Access pipeline should give them a sense for where young Americans stand on new fossil fuel infrastructure and violations of indigenous rights.

I mean, this is what RSP conservatives really need to worry about. Not only is their platform dwindling, in 20 years(when a lot more boomers die off), it's going to be downright left behind.

Republicans MAY get away with a spite win this election(probably not), but subsequent elections is going to decimate the party of Lincoln.

Once people get older they become conservatives. It's virtually inevitable.

What conservative MEANS will change, but people will yearn for "the good ole days" forevermore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

He wouldn't stand a chance of getting elected to the Party of Lincoln.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm an early Millennial.

I think the GOP will need to evolve or it will be replaced by Libertarians. Honestly, they have to say "we're okay with gay people and diversity." There's plenty of folks in my generation who are downright conservative when it comes to their economics and foreign policy. The Republicans just have to distance themselves from the religious right which is where a lot of people have hang ups. I dunno how they do that considering the religious right is such massive voting block for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I mean, this is what RSP conservatives really need to worry about. Not only is their platform dwindling, in 20 years(when a lot more boomers die off), it's going to be downright left

Exactly! That's why all those counterculturalists from the summer of love voted in President Mondale after Carter's second term!

I think you're counting chickens too soon. There's no particular reason why the GOP can't pivot in 20 years the same as the UK Conservatives did under Cameron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The silliest thing about these so-called learned predictions and the dolts who believe them is that they have to assume a static population, a static political landscape, a static world landscape, no real advances in science or technology, nobody really discovering new insights into the human mind or emotions, just a sameness that represents the moment in time that the boneheaded author took a mental snapshot that was appealing to him.

Live long enough and you begin to see that most predictions from a liberal bias are wrong and the conservatives just stay the course. being conservative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Terwox wrote:

What conservative MEANS will change, but people will yearn for "the good ole days" forevermore.

Yeah, but the good old days for millennials is a world being highly progressive in their mind, and it'll still make for a highly liberal progressive platform, and that will be the "new conservative"...progressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
The silliest thing about these so-called learned predictions and the dolts who believe them is that they have to assume a static population, a static political landscape, a static world landscape, no real advances in science or technology, nobody really discovering new insights into the human mind or emotions, just a sameness that represents the moment in time that the boneheaded author took a mental snapshot that was appealing to him.

Live long enough and you begin to see that most predictions from a liberal bias are wrong and the conservatives just stay the course. being conservative.

Well, the numbers don't lie... a large portion of the conservative base are going to be worm food in the next 15 years and their replacements aren't going to be able to back-fill the attrition rate. Furthermore, those that typically fall into the conservative pattern are dying off young at a much higher rate than normal.

I'm not saying that your generalization about this general article/projections doesn't hold water, it is just the maths that would say otherwise.

I'll always take math over anecdote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Just wait until they are the 1%ers.

Most of them won't be.

And there are liberal 1%'ers now.

However, I have seen some articles saying that due to the electoral college it may not matter as much. We'll have a boatload of extra blue voters in california and new york and still lose the same red states in congress and the electoral college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Quote:

Yea, but I can't wait until the modern conservatives support the status quo of gay marriage, minority rights, women equality, universal healthcare...etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Quote:

Nope. That's a myth and an unproven falsehood that circulates every time an article is written about the death of conservatism. Conservatives aren't old, it's not an age thing. it's an ideology, a way of looking at life and culture and assessing what appears valuable enough to keep and dismissing what appears to have little or no value.

Many people get more progressive as they age because (usually) they have the financial resources to afford the mental illness of liberalism. My mother was a great example of someone who was very conservative until she hit about 60 and through hard work, financial diligence and conservative lifestyle and politics, she found herself with not only a good job, but with the money to associate and travel with other aging affluent seniors. They protested nuclear plants, marched on this and that and screeched angrily at Reagan and Bush I. It was all quite enjoyable for her and her friends. Conservative lifestyle affording them the means to be undignified and to rail against the very things that gave them the bucks to afford to rail.

I was much more liberal until about 1978-80 and my drift towards conservatism was tied to having children and an increased understanding of taxes, business and regulation. Not to mention defense.

The primary problem with liberalism -- other than it being a mental illness -- is that it necessarily uses the abundance created by conservatism to hopefully destroy the infrastructure that created the abundance to begin with. Liberalism's primary issue (and a horrible one it is) lies in the fact that if it ever prevailed over conservative ideology it's essential tenets are such that it would be left helpless to defend itself from outside forces, competition and enemies. It's as if there is an entire political ideology that says basically , "Look, let's make ourselves weak and helpless and let's remove borders and defense and lets give people our stuff. Then maybe they will like us enough to allow us to live."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Yeah, but the good old days for millennials is a world being highly progressive in their mind, and it'll still make for a highly liberal progressive platform, and that will be the "new conservative"...progressive.

How is the millennial generation going to turn out differently from the hippy generation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Terwox wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Quote:

Nope. That's a myth and an unproven falsehood that circulates every time an article is written about the death of conservatism. Conservatives aren't old, it's not an age thing. it's an ideology, a way of looking at life and culture and assessing what appears valuable enough to keep and dismissing what appears to have little or no value.

Many people get more progressive as they age because (usually) they have the financial resources to afford the mental illness of liberalism. My mother was a great example of someone who was very conservative until she hit about 60 and through hard work, financial diligence and conservative lifestyle and politics, she found herself with not only a good job, but with the money to associate and travel with other aging affluent seniors. They protested nuclear plants, marched on this and that and screeched angrily at Reagan and Bush I. It was all quite enjoyable for her and her friends. Conservative lifestyle affording them the means to be undignified and to rail against the very things that gave them the bucks to afford to rail.

I was much more liberal until about 1978-80 and my drift towards conservatism was tied to having children and an increased understanding of taxes, business and regulation. Not to mention defense.

The primary problem with liberalism -- other than it being a mental illness -- is that it necessarily uses the abundance created by conservatism to hopefully destroy the infrastructure that created the abundance to begin with. Liberalism's primary issue (and a horrible one it is) lies in the fact that if it ever prevailed over conservative ideology it's essential tenets are such that it would be left helpless to defend itself from outside forces, competition and enemies. It's as if there is an entire political ideology that says basically , "Look, let's make ourselves weak and helpless and let's remove borders and defense and lets give people our stuff. Then maybe they will like us enough to allow us to live."

DW... now you are just trying to emulate the Cock and Balls version of yourself.

The whole mental disease angle... really?

Do you have to get on the floor with your balls just to get that low?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

DW... now you are just trying to emulate the Cock and Balls version of yourself.

You really are a sleazy sort. Any interaction you have in RSP with men seems to end up with you talking about mud wrestling them naked, anal sex, blow jobs or male genitalia. On top of which, you have this whole "whitebred" thing going that you don't even have the intelligence to spell correctly. I assume you understand that calling Caucasians Whitebread is exactly the same as calling blacks Niggers or Asians Wogs.

So basically, you come across as a closeted homosexual racist with a cock and mud fetish. Yup. You're liberal alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Terwox wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Quote:

Reading your posts after quoting Trippisms is so much fun. I get to see into the brain of a truly stupid person.

Thanks for the insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.