41.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The title sums it up: In last night's game my character went insane and I drew the Crisis of Conscience card. I wanted to take my actions before the others on some turns, but because of trust issues, the others did not want me to go before them. We resolved it based on the 'Conflicts' section on page 2 of the Rules Reference, interpreted as follows: the rules says that investigators 'as a group determine the order...', so we voted. I was outvoted, and so had to take my actions when the others (4 player game, so it was 3:1 against) allowed me to. In case of a tie, we would have had a randomly-chosen investigator decide, per the rules.

I think that this is fair and a proper interpretation of the rules; I just wanted to post on it because it was not immediately obvious to us, took a little time to sort out, and I thought that others might benefit from knowing this interpretation ahead of time.

Also, if anyone thinks that we interpreted it wrong, I am happy to hear your opinion.

Also also, if this is actually spelled out in the rules more overtly somewhere, I would also like to know where. I did not find it outside of the 'Conflicts' section, but I think that was adequate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The relevant chunk of rules:

Quote:
It is possible that investigators have differing intentions and goals. If this prevents investigators from reaching a decision as a group, the decision is determined by an investigator chosen at random.

It doesn't say anything about voting, so my reading of that is "reaching a decision as a group" means 100% consensus. You disagreed, so that caused a conflict, and a 25% chance of getting your desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Rugolo
msg tools
I interpet "reaching a decision as a group" as a unanimous decision. It was judicious of you to vote as a group, but I would play it that the decision is made by a random investigator unless everyone is in agreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
GregF wrote:

Quote:
It is possible that investigators have differing intentions and goals. If this prevents investigators from reaching a decision as a group, the decision is determined by an investigator chosen at random.

It doesn't say anything about voting, so my reading of that is "reaching a decision as a group" means 100% consensus. You disagreed, so that caused a conflict, and a 25% chance of getting your desire.

How does one randomly decide something? Hope it fits well with rolling a die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
GregF wrote:

Quote:

You have 4 investigators, assign each two numbers and roll a D8 (for example). The investigator that has been randomly determined makes the decision. Simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, if you all love rolling dice, each person rolls the 5 dice and most successes gets to pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
Or, if you all love rolling dice, each person rolls the 5 dice and most successes gets to pick.

Ooooo or you play a game of Mansion of Madness 2E and whoever wins chooses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
PeterM2158 wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

You have 4 investigators, assign each two numbers and roll a D8 (for example). The investigator that has been randomly determined makes the decision. Simple.

You don't even need a die of any sort. Use the existing MoM components.

For example, just shuffle 1 Focused condition card with N-1 Dazed cards (where N = number of players).

Each player draws a card and whoever drew the Focused card gets to make the choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
GregF wrote:

Quote:

Simple...if you own a d8. Im just full of d6s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
xris wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

You don't even need a die of any sort. Use the existing MoM components.

For example, just shuffle 1 Focused condition card with N-1 Dazed cards (where N = number of players).

Each player draws a card and whoever drew the Focused card gets to make the choice.

I like this better than all rolling dice. Cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That makes sense, 'Decide as a group' does imply consensus. That makes it a lot more dicey, and means that the traitor can't be locked out and always move last. Thanks for the replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
jnowak415 wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
GregF wrote:

Quote:

Give everyone a number 1-4 and on a 5-6 re-roll.

I'm sometimes amazed the lengths people go to to make it fit just to avoid the chance of re-rolling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
GregF wrote:

Quote:

Give everyone a number 1-4 and on a 5-6 re-roll.

I'm sometimes amazed the lengths people go to to make it fit just to avoid the chance of re-rolling!

Maybe some people hadnt though of that! Smh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
GregF wrote:

Quote:

We use the app, Chwazi when we need to randomly decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a set of poker chips which are blank on one side and numbered 1 to 5 on the other.

They are used to keep a record of player turn order. So the player who will move first has the chip numbered 1.

To determine a random order I just shuffle the chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you don't want to be choosing turn order randomly. You can choose which order you act in within Mansions of Madness, and you dont have to fix that order at the start of the round or anything.

In the case that the players can't agree who will go next, you randomly choose a player and they get to say who goes next (it may very well not be the randomly chosen player). You could still use the chips for this, of course, but it's not a random order you want to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
No, you don't want to be choosing turn order randomly. You can choose which order you act in within Mansions of Madness, and you dont have to fix that order at the start of the round or anything.

In the case that the players can't agree who will go next, you randomly choose a player and they get to say who goes next (it may very well not be the randomly chosen player). You could still use the chips for this, of course, but it's not a random order you want to choose.

Yes you're right. A subtle but important rule clarification. And yes, you're, also, right the chips will still work fine for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.