Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
There is no try
badge
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All:

I recently got a gift card for doing some computer work for a friend, and I wanted to pickup a couple of Legendary Expansions. I have everything except Villains (and the expansion for it), Secret Wars 1 and 2, and Civil War.

I was thinking about picking up Villains and Civil War, as they are what appeal to me most, but wanted to be sure there weren't other expansions needed to enjoy the content in Civil War. Can anyone help me out? Or provide why I should get others...?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally the expansions stand completely alone. The only issue is that Civil Wars adds 'special' Sidekicks, which are meant to be mixed into the 'normal' Sidekick stack from Secret Wars I. But the Sidekicks will work just fine just using the special set as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Special Sidekicks in Civil War suck unless you combine them with the Regular Sidekicks, imo. Honestly...I wish I could play without the special sidekicks, but would consider that "cheating", in a way.

Civil War as a whole is really good though. I would pick up either SW set, or CW, before I got Villains. And honestly...I probably wouldnt even get Villains(I havent but have everything else). They tried to make a different game and failed, so now its just combined...I dont like it...the change in terminology and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
You'll find that opinions differ on Villains. I absolutely love it and use it as my core set. But I've always liked a good Villain. As for what big box expansion you get, go for whatever has the most characters you like would be my advice. I love Secret Wars V1 the most with Thanos, Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, etc. And the Masterminds are great. Marvel Zombies are fantastic too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy them in the order they were released:

1. Villains
2. Fear Itself
3. Secret Wars I
4. Secret Wars II
5. Civil War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
While I enjoy and use each expansion, Villains is probably my least favorite. Civil was is great, but one of the things about the set is it builds off of the sidekicks from Secret Wars. You can just use the Pet Avengers, but as someone else said, the normal sidekicks seem to be preferable in most situations. I would recommend Secret Wars Vol 1. It has some pretty epic characters, and the Masterminds and Schemes present a strong challenge. Also, Multiclass cards for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
jnowak415 wrote:
And honestly...I probably wouldnt even get Villains(I havent but have everything else). They tried to make a different game and failed, so now its just combined...I dont like it...the change in terminology and such.

I agree with the statement about the change in terminology as well. They updated it to better reflect the villain atmosphere, but it would appear that they are done with the idea of separate villain sets. Makes me wish they never did it in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah man you need everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.