Subject: What's the deal with ice cream bars? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid, a comic book cost 12 cents, and candy bars (chocolate bars) were a nickel. Bubble gum and Penny candy were often 2 pieces for a penny-- sometimes 5 for a penny (Mojos).

Next up, just under the comic book, was a popsicle-- 10 cents or less.
Just over the comic book price was the ice cream bar, at 15 cents (either Creamsicle (Orange coated), Revello (chocolate coated), or Fudgesicle (frozen malted chocolate).

Fast forward nearly 50 years.

Chocolate bars are around $1.50 each now, less if on sale.
Price increase: 30x

Comic books are $4.00 for the same basic superhero style (no graphic novels or indie publications back then).
Price increase: 33x

But a single chocolate covered ice cream bar can go for $6.00 these days!
Price increase: 40x

Criminal!

If you buy in bulk, from a grocery store, the savings are considerable. But if you're at a 7-11 looking for a cool ice cream snack, open up your wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I used to take our allowance (50 cents each), and hike down to the 7-Eleven. We could spend a quarter on a Slurpee, and we could splurge and spend 50 cents on the Slurpee with the collectible plastic cups that had Major League Baseball players faces and names on them. Somewhere we have those cups in storage. They are over 40 years old now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in my day if you wanted ice cream you started with the cow and went down to the lake to get some ice!

no not really, we walked to the next neighborhood with a pocket full of change, we didn't have an ice cream truck in my neighborhood we had frozen lemon aid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
When I was a kid, a comic book cost 12 cents, and candy bars (chocolate bars) were a nickel. Bubble gum and Penny candy were often 2 pieces for a penny-- sometimes 5 for a penny (Mojos).

Just over the comic book price was the ice cream bar, at 15 cents (either Creamsicle (Orange coated), Revello (chocolate coated), or Fudgesicle (frozen malted chocolate).

Comic books are $4.00 for the same basic superhero style (no graphic novels or indie publications back then).

Criminal!

If you buy in bulk, from a grocery store, the savings are considerable. But if you're at a 7-11 looking for a cool ice cream snack, open up your wallet.
Go to iceland, you can get a box of 6 for a quid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Criminal!

I think you misspelled "squid" there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Ice cream bars = Ice cream novelties
Ice cream novelties ≠ Ice cream

Why anyone would pay more than a buck for that crap is beyond me. Six bucks?!!! You can get a full fledged ice-cream cone for less than half of that.

Stop being a sucker. Just say no to ice cream novelties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Criminal!

Candy Bars = 5/12
Ice Cream Bar = 15/12

Candy Bars Now = 3/8
Ice Cream Bars Now = 6/4

In other words..

Candy Bars used to be 5/12th of a comic book, now they're 4.5/12th of a comic book. That's a 10% decrease.

Ice Cream bars used to be 15/12th of a comic book, now they're 18/12th of a comic book. That's a 20% increase.

Not really a criminal change. Could be that over time the increases in efficiency for paper printing have outpaced the efficiency gains for ice cream bars.

But compare that to inflation!

A comic book in 1962 cost $.12. In 2016 dollars, that's $.96. That means that comic books are four times more expensive than they used to be! The best explanation I can come up with is that the target market has shifted from kids to adults with disposable income. There has been some increase in quality, but I doubt that modern comic books take four times as long as the ones made in 1962.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Criminal!

Candy Bars = 5/12
Ice Cream Bar = 15/12

Candy Bars Now = 3/8
Ice Cream Bars Now = 6/4

In other words..

Candy Bars used to be 5/12th of a comic book, now they're 4.5/12th of a comic book. That's a 10% decrease.

Ice Cream bars used to be 15/12th of a comic book, now they're 18/12th of a comic book. That's a 20% increase.

Not really a criminal change. Could be that over time the increases in efficiency for paper printing have outpaced the efficiency gains for ice cream bars.

But compare that to inflation!

A comic book in 1962 cost $.12. In 2016 dollars, that's $.96. That means that comic books are four times more expensive than they used to be! The best explanation I can come up with is that the target market has shifted from kids to adults with disposable income. There has been some increase in quality, but I doubt that modern comic books take four times as long as the ones made in 1962.

I say this as a geek who grew up reading comics, but comic books have the WORST dollar to entertainment ratio I can think of.

Four bucks for 10 minutes (or less) worth of reading (unless you're talking a Gaiman, Moore, or Claremont)? No thanks. I'm perplexed how that publishing industry still exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Criminal!

I think you misspelled "squid" there.
I am not from Calamari.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Ice Cream Bars? You were lucky to have Ice Cream Bars! We had to take the cow down to the frozen river...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Four bucks for 10 minutes (or less) worth of reading (unless you're talking a Gaiman, Moore, or Claremont)? No thanks. I'm perplexed how that publishing industry still exists.

Hence why I have a Marvel online sub for comics. I can blow through a year's worth of cost in no time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the many benefits of being diabetic is I can't eat ice cream bars. whistle

I've saved millions tens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
CasualSax wrote:

It's more economies of scale (more precisely, lack thereof); modern comic books sell a tiny fraction of what they used to back in 1962; or even 1982.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
MOTHDevil wrote:
I say this as a geek who grew up reading comics, but comic books have the WORST dollar to entertainment ratio I can think of.

Escape Rooms are the worst, but comics are a close second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
CasualSax wrote:

It's more economies of scale (more precisely, lack thereof); modern comic books sell a tiny fraction of what they used to back in 1962; or even 1982.

Right - they keep charging more and more because people are buying them less and less. Eventually, Bill Gates, a couple Russian oligarchs, and a Saudi prince will be the only remaining readers.

Really, the medium now just favors the bound/graphic novel format. It's just not realistic to collect multiple titles at over half the price of an ice cream bar to get a complete monthly installment... and then wait a month (or more) for the next breadcrumb on the plot trail.

The industry seems to be coasting on fumes from the movies and the former model of "collect 'em all" which worked great when they were at newsstands for a buck or less a pop. I realize there's the online comics component but... meh. I don't read books on my tablet, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today Marvel announce their new Super hero

Crappyoperating system man
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
CasualSax wrote:

I thought so at first too, but comic book sales have been growing consistently since 2003. The pricing from 2003 has kept pace with inflation. The total sales, again adjusting for inflation, have almost doubled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.