Subject: The real Games Workshop... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we were to call publishers as they really are, would it be safe to take Games Workshop and call them "Plastics Workshop"? Much like how Lord Of the Rings was created as a product of Tolken's linguist skills and coming up with his own language, GW seems to be around mainly just to sell plastic, so they slap a game on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But we still call LotR by it's proper title, and not "Tolkien's Contrived Literary Vehicle for Experimental Linguistic Exploration".

So, I'm ok with calling them Games Workshop, if that's what they call themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
But we still call LotR by it's proper title, and not "Tolkien's Contrived Literary Vehicle for Experimental Linguistic Exploration".

So, I'm ok with calling them Games Workshop, if that's what they call themselves.

Much like I prefer to be called Jeff instead of "Dumpy Middle-Aged White Guy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
According to Wikipedia, they did start out making wooden boards for games including backgammon, mancala, Nine Men's Morris, and Go, so they must have had a workshop in which they made the games.

I suppose they could have just called themselves "Steve's Shed" but that would also be inaccurate now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop recently learned the very hard lesson that what it is really in the business of selling is not plastic, but intellectual property. They're heavily retooling to build up this product and shore it up from infringers, but what they learned from their costly lesson is that the plastic itself is not their primary commodity.

Pete (thinks they've lost a ton of capital and are trying hard to rebuild it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exhibit 1 - Railway Rivals. Even when this came out they were selling plastic figures, but that certainly wasn't all they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
ackmondual wrote:
If we were to call publishers as they really are, would it be safe to take Games Workshop and call them "Plastics Workshop"? Much like how Lord Of the Rings was created as a product of Tolken's linguist skills and coming up with his own language, GW seems to be around mainly just to sell plastic, so they slap a game on there.

Wouldn't that make people think the company deals in various plastic products and not just plastic game components and rules. Wouldn't those people then think that the company should be called "Games Workshop" since they only sell plastics for gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just trying to figure out what GW did to you this morning that had you resurrecting two years old threads criticizing GW and make another one criticizing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Now I'm well aware the "specialty boardgame" community mostly hates GW but you are really reaching. I don't play 40K/AOS, but I would say at all of the 5 FLGS's in my area have regular people playing GW stuff only second to Magic. Maybe that's not gaming and if so neither is X-Wing, Warmachines, Malifaux, Flames Of War, etc.

Even if we disqualify those GW sets that are mediocre(Assassinorium, Lost Patrol) as being thin veiled attempts at selling boxes of plastics, if you cant admit that in the very least Space Hulk is a passable game, you should probably turn in your gamer badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out what GW did to you this morning that had you resurrecting two years old threads criticizing GW and make another one criticizing them.

They started a cold calling campaign calling people Dumpy Middle-Aged White Guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
GW is really just misunderstood. They had some of the best games of the eighties. Their main problem is that it's 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Touchfuzzy wrote:

He probably just bought Dreadfleet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawless One, Deceiver, Little Horn, Tempter, Old Scratch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Nothing.

Also, was there some "statute of limitations" on bg topics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I have your attention please?
May I have your attention please?
Will the real Games Workshop please stand up?
I repeat, will the real Games Workshop please stand up?
We're going to have a problem here

Y'all act like you never seen a green skin before
Jaws all on the floor like a space marine just burst in the door
Started whoopin' your ___ worse that before...

Sorry, I saw the tile and could not resit.
blush I had to google the actual lyrics and have never actually played a GW game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:

blush I had to google the actual lyrics and have never actually played a GW game.

Though your post was funny, this was the best part. Haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop is owned by Citadel Miniatures who sells "miniatures".

A very bref history of GW.
Games Workshop owned Citadel Miniatures in the 1970s, but sold it off in the early 1980s. Than Citadel Miniatures brought out Games Workshop at the end of the 1980s.

If you check out the 1980s issues of White Dwarf magazine you can see a change from role playing games to miniatures based games, ie Warhammer.

Others people can give you more detail, but this gives you the general idea why GW sells miniatures based games now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed123play wrote:
Games Workshop is owned by Citadel Miniatures who sells "miniatures".

A very bref history of GW.
Games Workshop owned Citadel Miniatures in the 1970s, but sold it off in the early 1980s. Than Citadel Miniatures brought out Games Workshop at the end of the 1980s.

If you check out the 1980s issues of White Dwarf magazine you can see a change from role playing games to miniatures based games, ie Warhammer.

Others people can give you more detail, but this gives you the general idea why GW sells miniatures based games now.

Citadel Miniatures has only ever been a sub brand of Games Workshop. I don't think it's even used any more. The reason why GW switched to miniatures is because that's where the money was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Grady
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
White Dwarf magazine was published in London until 1986. Citadel Miniatures was based in Nottingham. Between White Dwarf 77 and White Dwarf 78 the magazine moved to Nottingham. Gradually it changed from a "roleplaying magazine" to "Games Workshop's Magazine".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
If we were to call posts as they really are, would it be safe to take this post and call this one "Mindless drivel"? Much like how Lord Of the Rings was created as a product of Tolken's linguist skills and coming up with his own language, this post seems to be around mainly just to be droll, so they slap a comment on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toxtethogradyworlds wrote:
White Dwarf magazine was published in London until 1986. Citadel Miniatures was based in Nottingham. Between White Dwarf 77 and White Dwarf 78 the magazine moved to Nottingham. Gradually it changed from a "roleplaying magazine" to "Games Workshop's Magazine".

Indeed.

White Dwarf used to be a separate entity from Games Workshop and towards the 90 to 100 issues became the house organ it is today.

As far as pushing plastic. If miniature tabletops games are your main product line, what do you suppose the main product will be? Probably minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Touchfuzzy wrote:

And found out that it is a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

Indeed.

White Dwarf used to be a separate entity from Games Workshop and towards the 90 to 100 issues became the house organ it is today.

Not really. White Dwarf was from issue one created by Games Workshop to promote the games it was importing such as D&D. In the late 80's it became a magazine to promote their own games when they decided to only make their own games & miniatures, and not sell/promote other people's properties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
mattprice wrote:
Touchfuzzy wrote:

And found out that it is a very good game.

Here though you are completely correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jherek Carnelian wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

Indeed.

Not really. White Dwarf was from issue one created by Games Workshop to promote the games it was importing such as D&D. In the late 80's it became a magazine to promote their own games when they decided to only make their own games & miniatures, and not sell/promote other people's properties.

That's not the same thing as a house organ.

They still printed articles and reviews for games they did not import or have a license to print. They also, more importantly, accepted advertisements for competing games and companies.

By issue 100, that had all changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.