Hide
5 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Superfriends rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Burns
msg tools
I'm Playing around with the idea of a deck based on hero play. The idea would be that I would focus on playing powerful heroes early (hero's hall is a must), making good trades, and work toward Vandy's ultimate. I'm wondering what people think about this idea, and what heroes (other than Vandy) they would use.

Here are some of my thoughts:
The strongest heroes (in terms of body) are

2/4|3/5|4/6:
Rook

2/3|3/4|4/5:
Vandy (but she's in anyway)
Calamandra
Midori
Onimaru
Grave
Troq

Grave seems like a natural choice, due to his buffing abilities, strong max band, and hero synergy, as well as a mix of useful spells

Calamandra can gain stealth (and her spells can grant it to units), which could help deal with Chronofixer (a potential major headache)

Onimaru has the strongest combat ability out of the gate, being the only hero which can one-shot another hero (other than rook) by himself at lvl 1. with an opponents a 0-cost tech 1 unit, which would allow me to devote more resources toward leveling without abandoning unit play altogether. His spells, however are not well suited to my purpose (except art of war, and possibly general's hammer (Edit: The others are good too. for some reason I was thinking they only affected units, but affecting heroes as well makes them worthwhile here.)

Rook has good spells and great survivability (especially once he reaches max band). Ardra's rock is a nice blocker if I need it (when heroes get locked out), and mythmaking synergizes nicely with demonology, if I wind up falling into creature play.

Midori's ultimate spell is really powerful, and in line with the theme of winning with my heroes. His other spells provide nice defensive options. His midband could synergize with some things, depending on my other choices (onimaru, or neutral starter), and flying is strong, but his lack of a top band ability makes him weaker than the others initially.

Troq also lacks a top band, but his spells seem useful, and his lower abilities are good. His tech also provides a lot of varied options.

One other option would be Zane, who has one less defense than the rest of these, but the same attack and, with haste, could make for a really powerful combo with Metamorphosis. He also has a good mix of useful spells.

I'm thinking of using either the neutral or white starters, for access to the healers, as well as buffing capability. My current thought for this is Vandy, Grave, Calamandra, with the neutral starter, but I'm not at all certain this is best. Honestly, if chronofixer weren't a thing, I'd use Onimaru instead of calamandra, probably. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
terry leitzke
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
If you want a good hero based deck just play mono white and go dicipline they have a tech 2 that taps and fully leveles your heroes and they are all Realy good plus the tech 2 gives heroes +1 attack. Diciplins tech 3 is good and also gives heroes +1/+1 white is very hero centric and rook is very hard to deal with and his max band spell is a game ender plus max band dicipline hero can attack kill something due to readiness and then tap and spend his sword tune to remove a hero or unit. Amazing then the ninjitsu hero has first strike which is Realy good and her max band card draw is very useful. I also Realy like rooks nest it works very well with his max band spell and rambasa twin is awesome for much needed chump blockers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandy + Heroes' Hall + first turn tech Metamorphosis is definitely a thing. It can lead to some of the earliest game overs I've seen. The thing is to play Metamorphosis on turn 3-4 with one other hero out. Ideally the other hero having lost arrival fatigue so it can attack immediately.

Doing all that by turn 3 is quite tough: you're paying 2 for your first 2 workers, 2 for Vandy, 2 for another hero, 2 for the Hall, and 4 to level Vandy to max (unless the opponent kindly gives you some levels with a vulnerable patrolling hero). That can't all happen before turn 3 even if you're playing second, and I really wouldn't recommend skipping a worker this early. So you're in the weird state of teching in Metamorphosis on turn 1 but hoping to only draw it on turn 4. If you're playing second you could still play it and a second hero on turn 3, just the other hero wouldn't be able to attack.

Rook or Onimaru are good candidates for the second hero, for the reasons you stated. Your idea of Zane is intriguing, as that'd let you attack with both on turn 3 (if the draws work out), which would be spectacularly early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Burns
msg tools
Well, since each of these heroes has six attack after metamorphosis, one swing with vandy on turn 3, plus one swing with both on turn 4 nets 18 damage. It's easy enough to tech in dark pact to get me the rest of the way, so it's really not that important that hero 2 be able to swing when metamorphosis happens. In fact, if I was going second (and depending on the matchup) I'd probably tech in 2 metas and 2 dark pacts on my first two turns, to help maximize the chance of meta on 3rd turn (since I can dark pact myself to dig for it if necessary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zane is a really good choice, because he attacks a whole turn earlier than other heroes, which is HUGE. This gives you a line of (going second) building a Hero's Hall on Turn 3, and playing Zane + Metamorphosis on Turn 4.

The other good option is Troq, alongside Vandy and Garth, so you avoid the multi-color penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.