6,992 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.1% of Goal | left

Support:

eric eric
msg tools
hello everybody, I'm new to this game and start to enjoy playing it

a question about political failure and succes :

let's assume that axis faction puts a "pro-soviet" marker on Rumania as a result of "political failure".

Then let's assume that western faction picks a "political success" and put it in Rumania .

What is the result ???
Is rumania activating as "western country" ?
Is Rumania activating as a "soviet country" ?
Or is Rumania staying neutral as a "pro western" and a "pro soviet" country all together ???

I'm afraid my reading of the rules is not very clear soblue

thank you in advance !!
Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From 2.3 wrote:
Friendly / Enemy: A unit, marker, or city that belongs to, or is under the control of, one faction is “friendly” to all units and markers of that faction. If it belongs to a different faction, it is “enemy” to that faction. Therefore, Axis, Western, and Soviet factions are enemy to each other.

From 14.12 - Political Success wrote:
Select any neutral country that has an enemy Pro-[Faction] or Strict Neutrality marker in it and remove that marker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to be clear, if the Western Faction pulls a political success, they'd need an active Western country in order to select Romania for that event.

If they did, then they'd remove the Pro-Soviet marker.

There are better uses for that, like targeting Italy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric eric
msg tools
Hello Mark and Adam,
thank you for your answers , I simply missed to re-read this 2.3 rule blush
now everything is very clear !!
thx again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric eric
msg tools
hello again and thank you again for your explanations .

tonight I stopped my first solitaire play where Italy entered on western side, probably because of my mis-understanding of the rules.

So I restarted a new 39 campaign game , and here is what happened :

sep 39 :
- after the conquest of Poland , Axis puts a pro-axis marker in Hungary
- axis draws "political success" and plays it in hungary which is activated
- western draws a "political success" that is played in Italy
- soviet draws the pro-axis marker and put it in the holding box

oct 39 :
- axis draws the "political failure" . he must give it to western faction ... who plays it on Italy ... bingo .. Italy once again activated as western country ...
I'm desperate

I think , I'm going to replay diplomatic phases and not activate Hungary so fast in order to secure Italy ... It's the advantage of playing solitaire I First want to learn that game in a more or less historic story ...

just a remark : I noticed that home defense constraints is a real pain for germany if he has to fight against a western faction Italy : 4 of the air forces are unavalaible. Then it's impossible for Luftwaffe to gain air superiority against Italy. the campaign to win against Italy seems difficult !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighting against a Western Italy is definitely difficult, but Germany should be able to put three armies along the mountainous border and keep Italian units from entering while France is dealt with. After that, Italy can be focused on and when you conquer it, you'll at least get a large increase to your National Will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm rather inxeperienced as USE player but I suggest to place at start of the game a (pro axis) marker to Italy to make much more difficult they go with the British.
After all in 1939 Italy was really pro-Axis.

also I would know if with an Italy early Wester-Allied Germany can still win. I know In theory is possible. I would know if this is a thing happens in the real games.
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played out a game where Germany attacked Poland (aligning it with the West) and then Italy activated as Western before the fall of France. Germany walled off Italy, then was able to attack towards Paris. France was conquered, Vichy was created, attacked, and conquered, and then Italy was attacked from two sides and eventually conquered as well. This led to a slightly weaker Barbarossa into Russia, but Germany was able to hold on for a win at the end. The Western Allies retained control over the southern section of Italy for the whole game, but with a low-powered UK ground force, they weren't really able to attack from there until 1944 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.