Dead Man's Draw» Forums » Rules

Subject: Anchor Effect Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the Tabletop version of Dead Man's Draw. On Pg. 3 of the rules, under "The Most Important Rule" heading, it states:

Any time a card is placed in the Play Area..., you must activate the Suit Ability.

On pg. 5 of the rules, under "Anchor" it states:

Collect all cards drawn before the Anchor, even if you bust.

An example follows which explains this effect, but, in my opinion, contradicts "The Most Important" rule. To explain...

If you execute the ability of the Anchor as it is played, it seems to me that you would immediately add the Mermaid and the Cannon that were played ahead of it to your bank. The subsequent Mermaid card would then not cause the Bust at all, as the first Mermaid has already been added to your bank.

It sounds to me like the Anchor ability, like the "Key & Chest" cards (mentioned as exceptions to "The Most Important Rule") should have also been listed as an exception. Then the ability explanation with the "even if you Bust" phrase and the following example would make sense.

Am I correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The special power of the anchor only activates if and when you bust.

Or, technically, I guess you could say it is activated immediately, adhering to 'the most important rule', but it's power is that when you bust it does its thing. They probably should have left the word "even" out of that line on pg 5. But yeah, it's kinda like the key & chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.