Surviving: One month in» Forums » General

Subject: SCAM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: NotAScam [+] GameHasBeenDelivered [+] [View All]
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I backed this game on Kickstarter and it still hasn't shown up despite the designer Russell Scott Neal going on record on a video (UK games expo) saying that he's shipped copies to KS backers in June! Russell has now stopped all forms of communications!!

Starting to stink of a scam!

Has anyone in the UK received their copies yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gaslight wrote:
I backed this game on Kickstarter and it still hasn't shown up despite the designer Russell Scott Neal going on record on a video (UK games expo) saying that he's shipped copies to KS backers in June! Russell has now stopped all forms of communications!!

Starting to stink of a scam!

Has anyone in the UK received their copies yet?

Damn.. I almost backed this last year, something kept me from taking the leap, now I'm glad I didn't..

Isn't he from uk? Can't you track him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a backer nor do I know the creator but I did stop by his stand at UK Expo and watched a demo of the game. All of the bits were there and he seemed quite genuine - and was enthusiastic about his game. There were no games for sale at the EXPO but he was telling people it was ready for shipping - as I wasn't a backer I just asked about retail so didn't push him about whether shipping meant to customers or to him from the manufacturer.

So probably not a 'scam', but it would seem he has hit additional problems since June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
From the comments page, I think someone has tried to find his address (yes, he's in the UK).

There are a lot of angry backers there at the moment. But the designer has ignored all emails, messages and comments and hasn't provided any recent updates or explanations.

We're all in the dark at the moment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's a small quantity in a large sea, so he supposedly ran into issues where he kept getting bumped back in the production line and more recently had issues finding space on a ship for the games to be sent to him. I think he's a bad communicator, but I'm not so sure of a scam at this point. And you never know, I just received a card game that I thought was a scam, after more than 2 years of its funding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I don't think it's a scam. I think it's a developer new to the process who has hit a number of set backs and is likely afraid of his backers now. Especially if there are comments about trying to find his home address.

Some campaign creators make the mistake of assuming bad news will be met with hostility. So they put it off hoping to have some positive news to report. Or any news at all if they are stuck in a holding pattern themselves.

Of course we know that regular updates, even if they aren't reporting anything, are appreciated but I wouldn't be surprised if situations like this become a vicious cycle. Silence creates hate which creates a negative association with the campaign and the game, which creates more silence which creates more hate. And you just know there are people emailing him directly with death threats and other crap.

If it was a real scam then he would have stopped promoting the game right after the campaign ended. Doesn't make sense to me he would pay to go to game conventions and stuff. Any pre-orders he got wouldn't be worth the time at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No it doesn't look like a scam. I agree with Pauly's assumption.

And this just came, a new update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2078209941/surviving-on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottevaere Wouter
Belgium
Vosselaar
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
End of the possible SCAM: the game arrived by DHL delivery - so it's alive and kicking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rivsung
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine just arrived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Brown
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came today as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat Tredegar
msg tools
Mine arrived today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.