Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG also updated the FAQ to the most current version, effective on September 26th. I did not see any changes to the MWL.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/android-netru...

There are two additions to the card errata, one of which corrects the misprinted cost of Queen's Gambit from the 2015 Championship Deck.

The rules clarification section focuses on the process of accessing multiple cards in a server, the concept of "ordinal events", some details involving trashing and hosting cards and a entire section devoted to the distinction (long-overdue) between open, derived and hidden information.

Although I missed this FAQ earlier today, I don't think these items constitute any surprises for those players who have been following these developments on reddit and other forums.

There are also adjustments to the Timing Structure of a Run, particularly as it involves accessing cards: 4.5 is now expanded to 4.5.1 to 4.5.4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Was a little surprised by Builder of Nations errata. Think it's more powerful this way due to it dealing meat damage even if the ice is bypassed.

Just wondering, will Builder of Nations deal meat damage is Nero uses his ability? I'm thinking yes...

Also, I've read a lot of reasoning behind the Salsette Slums and Controlling the Message ruling but it still feels like magical made up BS ruling. (Salsette doesn't trash a card... It's written on the card that it doesn't trash cards.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My graying cortex needs a little more time to fully digest rulings like this, but most veteran players seem to be OK with it.

Check out this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1628380/controlling-message...

If you already have, then the exact timing relationships of triggers and effects are becoming even more nuanced as the game progresses. Sigh. That's why I'm happy that the latest FAQ addressed this- in fact, they use the Salsette Slums case to illustrate why NBN's CTM doesn't trigger (it's a replacement effect so the trash technically never happens).

The fact that CTM is rendered null for the rest of turn does seem to be arbitrary. When the trash cost is paid, the replacement effect occurs and the card is removed from the game [not trashed]. Yet the game state acknowledges the trash anyway.

I don't feel the logic behind this extension is sound (in fact it seems contradictory), but this is the ruling as it exists.

[Edit: Doh! You actually contributed to that thread. Sry.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you got me thinking, I referred back to a discussion on stimhack and also referenced this section from the latest FAQ:

Replacement Effects
An ability that uses the word “instead” is a replacement effect. Once an effect has been replaced with a new one, no other effects can be triggered off the original effect, regardless if they are regular effects or additional replacement effects.

I guess the interpretation of this is that the replacement action "undoes" the original effect, so it is still considered to have happened (and hence CTM is turned off for the rest of the turn).

Yeah, still a little sketchy IMO...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an excellent response from Damon Stone on Stimhack and a useful explanation on ANCUR that help explain the timing of all this. I can't offer the links right now, but the explanation goes along the lines of:

Conditional Abilities have two parts to their enactment: a "triggering" moment and a "resolution" step. The triggering moment is the very moment that the conditional occurs, and can be simultaneous with other triggered abilities. Resolutions are then sequential, based on active player and owning player choice. However, at the start of the resolution of any of these, the game checks to see if the trigger is still valid. If it isn't, the ability "fizzles".

This much explains, for example, the age-old bypass of a Tollbooth. When Tollbooth's on encounter resolves, the trigger is re-checked and found not to be occurring, so the toll is ignored.

Critically, though, that trigger has happened - even if an event triggered off of it "replaces" the trigger action. Effectively what replacing means is "the normal consequences of the action are changed, and unresolved conditional abilities triggered by the action will fizzle." But it's still happened from the perspective of, for example, CTM looking at the game state and saying "yes, I have initialized once this turn on the trash of an installed Corp card" - ignoring the fact that the trash effect (moving the card to Archives) was replaced and the actual CTM effect (initiate a trace) fizzled.

It's fair to say that it's not the way that it had to be ruled, but it's a well-explained, extensible ruling that males sense with the rest of the game framework. So I'm happy with it

(Not to mention anything that damages CTM is a good call in my book!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

I will, of course, abide by the ruling. I agree that it is consistent within the game mechanic framework. However, once again the lack of effective card templating has caused some avoidable confusion to those of us who do not circulate closely within Damon's orbit.

Alas, this is exactly the kind of complex effect resolution sequence that's likely to give some new player pause and run away from the table, screaming into the night. Let's keep Salsette Slums out of teaching decks, please.

Ooo, and I thought M theory was complicated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.