tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read about this game a couple days ago and decided that it sounded amazing. I want it, despite not knowing if I'll ever have a group large enough to play it (yes, I know I can play with just one other person, but it can be hard for me to scrounge even that up at times). I want the promo maps too though, so I feel like I should hold off for now and hope that maybe a GeekAuction pops up with a SONAR lot including the promos.
I bet these will go quick though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG: Captain Sonar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah S
msg tools
With shipping ($5.99) it's only $1.49 cheaper than Walmart's price with free shipping to the store ($49.97).

I really want this game but I'm patient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FANTASTIC game, but you really need 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:

8 really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
aldaryn wrote:

8 really.

Yeah, I was moreso giving a floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to chime in that I did not like my first and probably last play of Captain Sonar. I found it too stressful. It is well done, but real time team games are for a very particular audience which excludes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
matthean wrote:
aldaryn wrote:

8 really.

I would agree with this. We played with 6 just this last weekend and while we had fun, 6 player puts a lot of extra stress on each team’s captain and opens up room for error. I can’t imagine playing with less than 6 unless you played the (in my opinion) inferior turn based mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
I just want to chime in that I did not like my first and probably last play of Captain Sonar. I found it too stressful. It is well done, but real time team games are for a very particular audience which excludes me.

There's understandably a preference regarding real-time games. Have you played it turn-based? I introduced this to my coworkers at lunch recently and played it as a turn-based game, and it really hit it off with everyone (to the point where people couldn't stop talking about it for the rest of the day). I instituted a very loose time limit for each turn to keep it moving, but I don't think it was stressful for anyone in particular.

We may just keep playing turn-based unless I get requests to try it in real time. The turn-based mode really seemed to allow for more strategizing and thought that I think would be diminished playing real-time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:

There's understandably a preference regarding real-time games. Have you played it turn-based? I introduced this to my coworkers at lunch recently and played it as a turn-based game, and it really hit it off with everyone (to the point where people couldn't stop talking about it for the rest of the day). I instituted a very loose time limit for each turn to keep it moving, but I don't think it was stressful for anyone in particular.

We may just keep playing turn-based unless I get requests to try it in real time. The turn-based mode really seemed to allow for more strategizing and thought that I think would be diminished playing real-time.

Everyone else seemed to specifically enjoy the stress created by the real time aspect, so I think I will just have to sit this one out in my game group. But for those who it appeals to, it's a very well designed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Koenig
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Worth noting that stock for this seems to be running low on the major online board game shops, so if you are on the fence you may want to pull the trigger soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo De Luca
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
i_am_davester wrote:
Worth noting that stock for this seems to be running low on the major online board game shops, so if you are on the fence you may want to pull the trigger soon.

Nice try, Matagot!

No, really... I ordered a copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.