$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 65.73

4,626 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.2% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Reviews

Subject: short review after a few games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren T.
United States
Dallas/Ft. Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just amazed at this as I was expecting worse or just for someone age 10-13. What we get instead is a solid cooperative deckbuilding game with a lot of theme in the same league for me as Dominion, Legendary & other deckbuilding games.

Each player's turn you draw dark art event cards & deal with those and the villain(s) effects on the players. Then the lead player spends cards for resources to attack the villain(s), heal, assist others, draw cards and/or buy cards.

The trick is keeping the villains from taking control of the locations as when they are all gone, the players lose. When a character loses all health they get stunned where they lose some stuff but will return next turn bruised but ready to keep going.

The books are all done like the expansions in A Touch of Evil/Eldritch Horror so since they are stamped on where they belong, you can easily reset the game or go back. The rules for the books past 1 state what special stuff goes in or books to add special tokens, cards, etc.

Also in the rules are ways of going to more advanced play. Solo play is easy with just running 2+ characters too. If you like Harry Potter, it's a solid game to enjoy; if you like deckbuilding games, the game plus all the books as small expansions make it quite a good deal.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Z
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am definitely going to pick up this game for the fact that my girlfriend and I both Harry Potter fanatics, and the reviews and pictures truly make it seem fun. You said the game compares to Dominion, another game that I am hoping to pick up one day. But I've mentioned Dominion to my girlfriend, and she didn't seem interested. Would you say that, if Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle is a hit with us, I could argue the similarities and convince her to try Dominion out with me? I don't really have anyone else to play Dominion with, hence why I just haven't bought it already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zac, maybe you could get her to try Dominion if the stakes were lower... like free.

Go to http://playdominion.com and try it out. You can play the whole base game for free digitally, including good tutorials.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zSquared wrote:
I am definitely going to pick up this game for the fact that my girlfriend and I both Harry Potter fanatics, and the reviews and pictures truly make it seem fun. You said the game compares to Dominion, another game that I am hoping to pick up one day. But I've mentioned Dominion to my girlfriend, and she didn't seem interested. Would you say that, if Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle is a hit with us, I could argue the similarities and convince her to try Dominion out with me? I don't really have anyone else to play Dominion with, hence why I just haven't bought it already.

The thing with Dominion is that it sounds super boring. The theme is pretty generic. I agree with Chris that you kinda have to play it to realize how cool it actually is.

I've also played this new HP game and can confirm it's a lot of fun. It's a different game than Dominion (for one it's cooperative) but if you've played Dominion then you'll see the similarities and be comfortable having played a deck-building game. I think the reverse could also be true. If you play HP and like it, you would probably enjoy Dominion and should check it out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Z
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Zac, maybe you could get her to try Dominion if the stakes were lower... like free.

Go to http://playdominion.com and try it out. You can play the whole base game for free digitally, including good tutorials.


Oh wow, thanks for the info. The Android app seems to have poor reviews, but I will definitely check out the in browser game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is most negative reviews stem from the fact that there has been a nearly decade long debacle with the app. It was announced some 4-5 years before its release because of companies going under and development stalling. When they finally released it it wasn't really an app but just a launcher for the webpage and it was way way way overpriced and buggy. It has since stabilized but remains very expensive. They have announced that they have contracted a new company to take over and fix it (including pricing).

Dominion is a fantastic game and this will have a ton of similar mechanics but is different in that it is static setup and competitive. From reviews (don't own this - yet!) this seems more similar to legendary or sentinels of the multiverse.

I do give the nod to dominion as my favorite deckbuilder because of the static (and infinitely variable) setup. Each game is a puzzle deciding on what strategy you want to try and balancing it/timing your grab for points.

Can't wait to get this game though. Probably gonna wait until Christmas to give it as a gift to my potterhead wife. Gonna be a hard wait. Thanks for the short review!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
zSquared wrote:
I am definitely going to pick up this game for the fact that my girlfriend and I both Harry Potter fanatics, and the reviews and pictures truly make it seem fun. You said the game compares to Dominion, another game that I am hoping to pick up one day. But I've mentioned Dominion to my girlfriend, and she didn't seem interested. Would you say that, if Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle is a hit with us, I could argue the similarities and convince her to try Dominion out with me? I don't really have anyone else to play Dominion with, hence why I just haven't bought it already.

The thing with Dominion is that it sounds super boring. The theme is pretty generic. I agree with Chris that you kinda have to play it to realize how cool it actually is.

I've also played this new HP game and can confirm it's a lot of fun. It's a different game than Dominion (for one it's cooperative) but if you've played Dominion then you'll see the similarities and be comfortable having played a deck-building game. I think the reverse could also be true. If you play HP and like it, you would probably enjoy Dominion and should check it out.


I am really hoping I like this Harry Potter game because I do not like Dominion at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Sanders
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would recommend Star Realms if the theme of Dominion is not appealing. It's super easy to learn and a great introduction to deck building. I just received my copy of Hogwarts Battles and super excited to try it out!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zSquared wrote:
Whizkid wrote:
Zac, maybe you could get her to try Dominion if the stakes were lower... like free.

Go to http://playdominion.com and try it out. You can play the whole base game for free digitally, including good tutorials.


Oh wow, thanks for the info. The Android app seems to have poor reviews, but I will definitely check out the in browser game.


I would recommend Androminion (https://github.com/mehtank/androminion) for playing Dominion on android, sadly it's been removed from the play store but you can still get the apk from github, and they are working on an update for Empires.

I also use Dominion Shuffle (https://github.com/TruthNZ/DominionShuffle/releases) to launch it as it is the best dominion randomizer I have found, sadly it again has stopped development on the play store, but another dev has taken it over and is releasing updates on github. The big thing that Dominion Shuffles for me is conditional rules, like you can tell it to put at least one defense card if you have an attack card, or if you have a potions card make sure there are at least 3 potions cards. I find this allows for more balanced games personally.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnightTim wrote:
I would recommend Androminion (https://github.com/mehtank/androminion) for playing Dominion on android
I would not.

I love Androminion and play it a few times a week. However, you cannot install it from the play store, and it looks like it was made by amateurs because it was (and is).

And as much as I like and use it, I still do not recommend it to people who don't even know if they like the game.

And I'm very sorry to derail this thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren T.
United States
Dallas/Ft. Worth area
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme in this is a lot better, as for Dominion & the comparison to it, there's 2 points. Having not burned out on Dominion yet, I still like it & as mechanics go for the deckbuilding this Harry Potter isn't that dense so it's easy to pick up & play.

Tangent -And I've only tried out the pc version off the Dominion website, it's ok though would be nice if I buy the game at the FLGS that it would unlock that expansion in the online game. Also damn you to King Rex, that took forever to beat that idiot in the Dominion campaign.

END Tangent. The comparison to Legendary is closer to how the game works. Each round you deal with event(s)/villain(s), then you get two economy tokens to do things. One is strictly to attack the villain, the other is to buy as much as you want off the Hogwarts deck. Better when you can just naturally buy as much as you want.

After playing it more, game does need a house rule of spend 2 or 3 to reset the buy deck if everything is too expensive, around 6+. We hit book 3 and early on we hit that wall of not being able to buy anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
Magnolia
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. My 7 yo is in book 3 of HP and is a co-op fan. We definitely have this on the wish list now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.