Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I are finding that we are Eurogamers. We love Orleans and just played and really liked Viticulture. I have seen Rosenberg games played on Rahdo and I think we would really like his games, same with Stefan Feld. I only have 1 game from the pair and that game is Trajan. I don't think we are ready for that complexity so I want to start with something less complicated than that.Castles of Burgundy is the one I'm leaning towards since pretty much all my most wanted Feld games are OOP. As for Mr. Rosenberg, All his games seem really expensive and heavy. But he also has solo variants for most of his games (am I right about that?) so I actually like the complexity if I can play and learn it first before showing my wife. So, which games of Rosenberg's should I get first and which Feld game should I get next? And keep in mind that I plan to get most, if not all of their games eventually.

Thanks for the help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wilky
Germany
Hilden
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zjensen3 wrote:
My wife and I are finding that we are Eurogamers. We love Orleans and just played and really liked Viticulture. I have seen Rosenberg games played on Rahdo and I think we would really like his games, same with Stefan Feld. I only have 1 game from the pair and that game is Trajan. I don't think we are ready for that complexity so I want to start with something less complicated than that.Castles of Burgundy is the one I'm leaning towards since pretty much all my most wanted Feld games are OOP. As for Mr. Rosenberg, All his games seem really expensive and heavy. But he also has solo variants for most of his games (am I right about that?) so I actually like the complexity if I can play and learn it first before showing my wife. So, which games of Rosenberg's should I get first and which Feld game should I get next? And keep in mind that I plan to get most, if not all of their games eventually.

Thanks for the help!!

UWE - Agricola, Glass Road and Arle Erde are our favorite 2 player games, there is also the upcoming Feast for Odin.

Feld - I have played CoB and Macao both very good games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Is Arle Erde Fields of Arle? Also, what do you think about At the Gates of Loyang?

Do you think that CoB is best as a 2-player game?

I am dying for Macao but it's OOP and like $70 at least in auction so I will have to wait till it gets reprinted. Have you played Amerigo? I am also looking at Bora Bora, Notre Dame, and AquaSphere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say go for Agricola and CoB.

Yes, I think CoB is best as a 2 player game, mainly cause there's less downtime and a higher player count doesn't really change the game strategically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna: The Cave Farmers is also very nice, it is like an upgraded version of Agricola.

If you are looking for something lighter, try Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small which is for two players only or the Agricola: Family Edition

Indeed, most of the Rosenberg games are quite expensive, but they really come with lots of material, both cardboard tiles and tokens and wooden pieces as well e. g. for the animals (they are cute ), which justifies the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Jørgensen
Denmark
Valby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arle Erde is the German name for Fields of Arle.

I own or have played a lot of the games mentioned, I think that with the upcoming reprint of At the Gates of Loyang, this is a strong candidate.

AtGoL is a very good 2p game, which has lots of replayability and variability from game to game, due to the many cards.

Bora Bora is one I really like, it is a complex game that has a very tactical play. Can be a little fiddly to set up.

Own Notre Dame, but have not been able to play it much. Don't see it being that good as a 2p game, but if you like predictability I guess 2p ND is alright.

Never played AquaSphere, but it didn't appeal to me when I read the rules.

I think that Caverna and Agricola should be avoided unless you like to play very mean games with blocking and take-that actions. Caverna being slightly less mean than Agricola. Both games should be playable with 2p.

I second GlassRoad as a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan St. John
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that you and your wife have similar tastes to my girlfriend and myself! We also enjoy Orleans and Viticulture very much.

Our favorite Rosenberg game is Le Havre. Plays great at 2 and turns are pretty quick and simple enough but offer many choices and paths to victory.

Our favorite Feld game (and one of our favorite games of all time) is definitely The Castles of Burgundy. Lighter than Trajan but offers many choices and paths to victory. We love the use of dice in this game and how to mitigate them.

Honorable mention from Feld would be Bruges. Great use of dice in this and many paths to victory again and it also has a great multi use card system.

For a game that kind of melds Rosenberg and Feld together you might want to consider La Granja also. A fun farming game that has dice drafting, multi use cards, some area control.

Have fun and let us know what you choose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're at all worried about longevity of solo play (and to an extent, multiplayer), be aware that Ora et Labora, Caverna, and Agricola Family Edition have no variable setup whatsoever, so every game is essentially an identical sandbox. Agricola, Le Havre, Glass Road, and Lo Yang all have varying degrees of randomized setups, thus presenting a new challenge each time. I don't know which bucket Fields of Arle falls into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe - Glass Road, Fields of Arle, or Gates of Loyang if you can find them for a good price. If not wait for the reprint.
Feld - COB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Fields of Arle some of the buildings are sorted out during setup, to offer some variability.

But the focus in all of these games lies more in checking out the different strategies. There are so many possibilities to explore, that even a solo gamer will have lots of games to check these out.
Also, the take that effect isn't that harsh, because you can always choose to do something different, or pay a little price to duplicate one blocked action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the replies everybody.

It seems that CoB is pretty much a no-brainer for the Feld game. I will be getting that as soon as I can.

La Granja is another one that I was already planning on getting and it's relatively cheap.

The Uwe games are a little more difficult. I think AtGoL is probably the one I'm considering the most with Agricola and Glass Road right behind it.

I've only seen one person mention Le Havre. Is that one generally not a well liked Uwe game?

Also, on BGG it says the reprint for AtGoL is only in German or Polish. Is the game language independent? Or is there an English reprint that I'm just not seeing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Caverna: The Cave Farmers is also very nice, it is like an upgraded version of Agricola.

Caverna at 2-player isn't a strong point due to lack of replayability. Some will debate the "upgraded version" comment as well. Agricola is tighter in its feel. Caverna is much more open. Which is better is based on preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal 4 best Rosenbergs:

1) Gates of Loyang (awesome 2 players)
2) Ora et Labora (awesome 3 or 4 players)
3) Patchwork (plays only 2)
4) Babel (plays only 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zjensen3 wrote:
I've only seen one person mention Le Havre. Is that one generally not a well liked Uwe game?

I'd love to get it but I think it's OOP, can't find it anywhere for a decent price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding Feld I'd also like to recommend Luna after CoB. It plays really well with 2 players and I found the official solo variant quite fun as well (plus, it's the only Feld game with an official solo variant so far!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Mondkalb123 wrote:

Caverna at 2-player isn't a strong point due to lack of replayability. Some will debate the "upgraded version" comment as well. Agricola is tighter in its feel. Caverna is much more open. Which is better is based on preference.

There are several proposals to address variability in the variants forum of Caverna:
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1051068/caverna-cave-farmers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zjensen3 wrote:
Thanks for the replies everybody.

It seems that CoB is pretty much a no-brainer for the Feld game. I will be getting that as soon as I can.

La Granja is another one that I was already planning on getting and it's relatively cheap.

The Uwe games are a little more difficult. I think AtGoL is probably the one I'm considering the most with Agricola and Glass Road right behind it.

Also, on BGG it says the reprint for AtGoL is only in German or Polish. Is the game language independent? Or is there an English reprint that I'm just not seeing?

I really like Le Havre. You get more freedom in how you go about scoring than in Agricola, but you will have to adapt your tactics to the randomized layout of the building market and offer restock sequence, as well as the special buildings that come out during the game. The rules are pretty easy to grasp, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Canzi
Canada
Penticton
British Columbia
flag msg tools
CoB (play it on yucata.de!) and then find a copy of Macao (his best imho)!

Agricola would be my choice, followed by Glass Road (an underrated gem), and then grab Le Havre when you're ready for heavy. There is a lot of hype building for A Feast for Odin. Something else to consider, ..after you get Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Canzi
Canada
Penticton
British Columbia
flag msg tools
zjensen3 wrote:

La Granja is a good game, but just ok at 2p. If you like Orleans (it's my favorite medium euro), try The Voyages of Marco Polo. I'd make that your third choice easily. Not that it matters, but it sits just before Orleans on the BGG Strategy list. For good reason. One of my top five games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Pastorius
United States
Great Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
Keep an eye on the online stores for Le Havre. It seems to go in and out of stock frequently at Cool Stuff. It's one of my favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't help with Feld, but we do own and love some Uwe games.
Play almost exclusively 2 player with my gf.

At the Gates of Loyang very good game, we love this with 2. It's not to complicated, but does take some thinking. It's a perfect mid weight game for us.
Glass Road this is our latest Uwe game. It's very good with 2. It's pretty fast. A bit lighter then Loyang. Very cool way to select actions.
Fields of Arle very good 2 player (or solo) only game. It's big long, on the heavy side. It's very open, sandboxy. Love this if we got time for a big long heavier workerplacement game.
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small and Patchwork both are quick easy games but offer a nice thinky game.

Agricola this was not a hit for us and we traded it away. It was to harsh and unforgiving for us. We do play heavy games but this we struggled with in finding strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Bugscheese wrote:
zjensen3 wrote:

La Granja is a good game, but just ok at 2p. If you like Orleans (it's my favorite medium euro), try The Voyages of Marco Polo. I'd make that your third choice easily. Not that it matters, but it sits just before Orleans on the BGG Strategy list. For good reason. One of my top five games.

Disagree with this: La Granja is great at 2p, and it is one of my favorite solo games as well. In fact, I recommend that the Zac buy La Granja instead of Castles of Burgundy and At the Gates of Loyang, since it is derived from those games (and others) and implements their mechanisms in one nicely integrated package.

Zac: we own a lot of Rosenberg games, and he's our favorite designer. Which game to get first depends on your play style. If you like tension and competitive play, then get Agricola. If you want a more open, peaceful "many paths to victory" game, then I'd suggest Fields of Arle, with Caverna as second choice. There's also Feast for Odin, though that one looks to be maybe a bit deep for someone just getting started.

But of course, then there's the question of availability. To buy new, your choices for big Uwe games will be Agricola, Caverna, and the newer games (Odin and Cottage Garden).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
Detroit metro area
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try some games out before you buy. Some Feld and Rosenberg games are available to play for free on Yucata.de:

At the Gates of Loyang
CoB
CoB card game
La Isla
Luna
The Speicherstadt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trajan isn't that complicated and it's an excellent game. Since you already have it, I recommend going for it! Castles of Burgundy is also fantastic.

Fields of Arle is great and I highly recommend it, can't wait for the expansion. But it doesn't have cards like Agricola. Cards is what makes Agricola for me. So much variety with the cards. I haven't played the revised version but it looks like it comes with some variants for flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal opinion of course:

Best Rosenburg: Field of Arle
Best Feld: Castles of Burgundy

Having said that, I don't like either designer's games and have sold every one that I've bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.