Hide
5 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you choose crew for a work action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Jenkins
msg tools
I've read the rule book, the latest FAQ (4.1) and many of the posts from the Rules section of this forum and there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not you can personally select which crew you want to use on a work action.

Rulebook page 13
Equip Crew:
You must commit to what Gear you’re carrying while Working the Job. Each
Crew and Leader may only carry 1 Gear card. Once you’re Working a
Job, Gear can not change hands between Crew until the Job attempt is
over. If a member of your Crew with Gear is killed, any Gear they were
carrying is returned to the Ship. Any Gear or Crew onboard the Ship
may not be used in any way while Working the Job. In the course of
Working a Job, Crew may be forced to return to the Ship. Crew onboard
the Ship may not be affected by the results of any Misbehave Cards or
Skill Tests encountered when Working a Job.

FAQ4.1 page 12
Question: The rules state that you need to commit Gear to a Job, but say nothing about Crew. Are you forced to commit ALL Crew to a
Job, or can you choose to leave someone on the Ship? For example, a Disgruntled but valuable Crew member on an easy job?
Answer: Most of the time, you’ll probably want to bring all your Crew along, just in case they’re needed. If you want to bring less than your full Crew though, you may choose to leave any Crew you’d like onboard the Ship. You still have to pay all Crew a cut, even if they stayed onboard the ship.

It seems from the FAQ that you "may choose to leave any Crew you'd like on-board the Ship." Whereas the Rules don't explicitly state that you must first choose who will be participating and who won't. I understand that some crew have special instructions on their cards that state they cannot participate in certain work actions (such as Book); they would have to remain on the ship.

Here is my question:

Let's say I have Mal, Nandi, Wash, Kaylee (disgruntled), Book, and a Merc. When I get the dinosaur I want to use my first action as a Work Action. Would I state that I am planning to advance an immoral crime job through a work action and am going to leave Book on the ship (because he has to per his card), leave Kaylee on the ship (because I choose to [I don't want to risk losing her to another disgruntled token or being killed]), and have Mal, Mandi, Wash, and the Merc advance the job?

Of course I would commit my gear to each participating crew member then draw my Misbehave Card. Let's say I get a "bad" card and I can't complete a skills test have to kill a crew member. I would have to kill Mal, Mandi, Wash, or Merc correct (Book nor Kaylee can be elected to be killed)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you can choose to leave Crew on the ship during a work action, assuming the remaining Crew still meet the requirements of the job.

Crew left on the ship would not be impacted by Misbehaves or rolls that occur during the job... However:

Everyone on your crew expects to be paid, whether the worked the Job or not, and everyone on the crew is impacted by the results of the Job, so if you worked an Immoral Job, Kaylee and Book would still be Disgruntled. In this case, you're going to lose the already-Disgruntled Kaylee regardless of the outcome, so you might as well bring her along and benefit from her skills before she jumps ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mal and Nandi are both Leaders, so I'm not sure how you end up with both of them on one crew.

Yes, you can choose to have crew members not participate on a particular work action, this means:
- their skills/keywords/abilities will not be available to you for that work action
- they are not subject to being killed, or gaining disgruntled tokens from misbehave cards drawn in that work action
- however, they do still need to be paid their cut from that job
- Moral crewmembers will still pick up a disgruntled token when you complete an Immoral job, even if they didn't participate on the work actions of that job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jenkins
msg tools
Great comments. I totally overlooked the fact that Kaylee and Book would still become disgruntled even though they didn't participate in working the job and remained on the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jenkins
msg tools
Good catch. You are correct about Mal and Nandi both being leaders. I should have phrased that better (I was just rattling off crew off the top of my head).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.