$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 106.6

6,644 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Still #1 in my book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Low
United States
Burke
VA - Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not particularly impressed by either of the usurpers, hopefully TS will continue to stand the test of time and climb back up to #1.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through Pandemic Legacy and thought it was an amazing, once in a lifetime board gaming experience. Twilight Struggle is still my favorite game of all time, but I understand the appeal of PL.

Through the Ages 4th edition, however, I didn't like much at all, and think that the minor changes implemented from the 3rd edition aren't enough to warrant a new entry. The new entry also results in much higher scores, since a lot of people who loved the 3rd edition bought the new one.

bicker bicker bicker
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TS remains #1 to me, not just because it's a great game but because it's the first game I bought when I got back into boardgames and seven years later I will still never turn down a game of it.

TTA is also a superb game and the new edition does improve it, great game but no TS (to me) - very sweet for three players though.

Pandemic Legacy I enjoyed but I would certainly not call it the best game of all time and consider that some sort of bizarre combo of over-hype/echo chamber effect.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Low
United States
Burke
VA - Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This Exactly! "the best game of all time" Needs time to acquire that title, being top of the hotness for 6 months doesn't cut it. Anyway we will see, my prediction is it gets toppled out of the top 5 fairly quickly, but maybe Pandemic legacy is the new Chess and archaeologists 2,000 years from now will talk about our ancient copies of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is the best either, but i had a very good time playing! During that run through, using BGG's scale, it would have probably been a 9? Now, after finishing the series, it's back to a 6 at best. Realistically much lower since I doubt I'll ever play Season 1 again. What is that, a 2 or 3? But the quality doesn't justify such a low rating, hence the fudged 6.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other games had their time in the sun before Twilight Struggle. I wasn't around to see any of those games fall from number 1, but I imagine the sentiments were the same. Taking a look at their forums, it looks like the pain EVENTUALLY goes away. cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Lawson
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
Other games had their time in the sun before Twilight Struggle. I wasn't around to see any of those games fall from number 1, but I imagine the sentiments were the same. Taking a look at their forums, it looks like the pain EVENTUALLY goes away. cry


Maybe all the whining will go away too... eventually.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I am continuously amazed at the amount of passion people have about a game's ranking.

In the top ten, of the five I've played, I personally have one 10, two 7, one 4, and a 3.


3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I am continuously amazed at the amount of passion people have about a game's ranking.

In the top ten, of the five I've played, I personally have one 10, two 7, one 4, and a 3.




Totally agree, these things are entirely arbitrary, but you know how people love to feel like they belong in a group...

Personally I'm amazed that a 2-3 hour, 2 player game about a 45 year long political/military struggle that needs at least a dozen plays to get competent at managed to stay #1 as long as it did, when you consider that probably nearly every other game that was in the Top 10 in those periods was probably something that easily could have played 3-5 people at a game night etc.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
that needs at least a dozen plays to get competent at managed


I take it you consider this a bug? I believe Twilight Struggle fans consider this a feature.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
that needs at least a dozen plays to get competent at managed


I take it you consider this a bug? I believe Twilight Struggle fans consider this a feature.

He didn't render an opinion on it either way. It seems you're reading a little too much in his statement, which is merely a factual observation.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting the BGG ranking in perspective and considering that there are 80,000 games in the database, anything which falls in the top 800 is ranked among the top 1% of all games, ever.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
I played through Pandemic Legacy and thought it was an amazing, once in a lifetime board gaming experience. Twilight Struggle is still my favorite game of all time, but I understand the appeal of PL.

Through the Ages 4th edition, however, I didn't like much at all, and think that the minor changes implemented from the 3rd edition aren't enough to warrant a new entry. The new entry also results in much higher scores, since a lot of people who loved the 3rd edition bought the new one.

bicker bicker bicker


I disagree that they are minor changes. They may look minor, but they are pretty big. Some of them are merely streamlining with minor impact, like the blue tokens, some of them are rebalancing of the cards, which is also mostly minor (except maybe Napoleon, that one is big), but then you have the complete overhaul of the aggression/war system: tactics can now be copied, sacrifices are gone, and you can discard non-bonus card for a (smaller) bonus. All that makes a pretty big difference in how the game is played.

I don't know if it's enough to warrant a new entry, since it seems the criteria for that is poorly defined anyway, but it's certainly a big change.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giovanni ciampi
msg tools
actuaryesquire wrote:
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
that needs at least a dozen plays to get competent at managed


I take it you consider this a bug? I believe Twilight Struggle fans consider this a feature.


If you always play with "professional" players, maybe yes. Otherwise, the moment you know what to do and how to do it, you give up any chance to have a enjoyable casual game with a casual opponent, because you either play as you always would and realize that there is no challenge at all, or you play with a hand tied behind your back, which is not really playing.

In a sense, TS strike a very strange balance: it's a game where luck plays a way bigger role than anyone is willing to realize (for some reason, games like that are almost always really successful) but not enough to fill the gap between players who knows how to play to win and those who doesn't. Which is bad for the aforementioned reason.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seattle Card
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
TS is still the greatest game of all time. Love love love it dearly!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.