Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of questions from a playthrough last night (and apologies if this has already been answered, I couldn't find anything)

1) What happens to placed influence when a neutral is violated? Example: Austria has one influence from West, Germany invades but doesn't score a knockout punch, so the area is contested. What happens to West's influence?

2) Continuing from above, Can influence be placed in contested neutrals? If so, what happens if the influence reaches 2 or 3? Example: Germany did not conquer Austria in 1936, and the battle is ongoing. During the 1937 government phase, can players add influence to Austria? And then what? If the West gets 2 influence, do the Germans have to withdraw or declare war on West?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
1) What happens to placed influence when a neutral is violated?

15.42 Armed Neutrals
An Armed Neutral is considered a separate
independent Faction and an Enemy
of its Violator. Upon a VoN, remove all
Influence markers (Diplomacy no longer
affects that Nation).

2) Can influence be placed in contested neutrals?

8.0 DIPLOMACY
Factions can gain Influence over Neutrals
or reduce Rival Influence through
Diplomacy.
During Government cardplay, players
can play single Diplomacy cards, with
the target Neutral seen upright from
their own point of view.

Influence is only ever placed on Neutrals, so if a Neutral is contested, that means there's been a VoN, which means there's no influence as per 15.42.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Boschen
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep. Diplomacy is over once neutrality is violated.

Strategically this means your diplomatic cards become less useful as countries fall to your rivals. Their only purpose is then as seasonal orders for movement.

Also note:
There are three levels of diplomatic influence, and at "level 2" aka "Protectorate" a rival attacker has to declare war to attack. So two influence on a nation makes it much harder for a rival to violate neutrality and take it away militarily, unless they reduce your political influence during the political phase first.

From the rules:
• In addition, a Rival attack on a Protec-
torate requires a Declaration of War
(15.2) on the Protector, and the Pro-
tectorate immediately converts into
a Satellite of the Protector (place a
Control marker and Satellite forces as
per 8.2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. I don't know why I have a hard time retaining all the rules for this one. No matter how many times I play it, I always feel like I a missing some rules and can't find it in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Boschen
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Be patient with yourself and your group. The rules are pretty straightforward, however, there are a lot of intricate situations that arise during gameplay which get moderately complex (the price of a really great emersive game). Without the nuances, the game would just be risk + blocks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.