16 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Series of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. I think the answer to this is yes, but I will confirm. If I max-band Onimaru to make 3 1/1 tokens but I already have 3 from last time he maxxed, do I get 3 more?

2. Is it true that I can make tech 1 units from any spec no matter what my tech choice is?

3. While sleeving the cards I remember seeing a unit with "boost, sacrifice a worker" as the only effect... Why would you ever want to sacrifice a worker for the cost of 3 gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:

3. While sleeving the cards I remember seeing a unit with "boost, sacrifice a worker" as the only effect... Why would you ever want to sacrifice a worker for the cost of 3 gold?

[Marauder]: The point of boosting him is to trash an opponent's worker, but you could trash your own if you want. — Sirlin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OH!!! An opponent's worker... well that makes a ton more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to point 1 & 2 is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
The answer to point 1 & 2 is yes.

To expend upon 2: You don't even make your "tech choice" before you build your Tech II Building. And even then, you will not restrict which Tech I units you are allowed to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically I think you're allowed to play any Tech I card which matches any of the 3 specs in your Codex. This only really matters if you Assimilate an opponent's Graveyard: then you can play any Tech 0 units there, but only play their Tech I units if it's a spec which you also have (and you have an intact Tech I building). And obviously you can only play Tech II units if you have an intact Tech II building of that spec, or a Tech Lab of that spec and a Tech II building of some other spec. (And I believe you're not allowed to build a Tech Lab into a spec that isn't in your Codex.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Schulz
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So played my first game last night and ended up with a few questions that I think I know most of the answers but I would like to be more confident.

1. If you kill a hero does that mean all of your heroes or just 1? It says in the rulebook hero goes up two levels so it wasn't clear.

2. I know you can attack exhausted cards but when you do, do exhausted cards do damage back?

3. Do you have to attack tech buildings before blowing up a base?

I appreciate help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Burns
msg tools
alextfish wrote:
Technically I think you're allowed to play any Tech I card which matches any of the 3 specs in your Codex. This only really matters if you Assimilate an opponent's Graveyard: then you can play any Tech 0 units there, but only play their Tech I units if it's a spec which you also have (and you have an intact Tech I building). And obviously you can only play Tech II units if you have an intact Tech II building of that spec, or a Tech Lab of that spec and a Tech II building of some other spec. (And I believe you're not allowed to build a Tech Lab into a spec that isn't in your Codex.)

Actually, There are no such restrictions in the rules.
codex rulebook wrote:

Your tech I building is very lenient in that it lets you play tech I units, upgrades, and buildings of any spec!
When you build the
tech lab, you get to unlock a spec (place that spec mini-card on your base too). This is in addition to the spec that you choose when you build your tech II building. So for example, you might build your tech II building and declare Anarchy spec, then build a tech lab and declare Fire spec. Now you can build stuff from EITHER of those specs

In fact, except for the physical problem of not necessarily having the card to represent it, there is no restriction that your tech II building must be from a spec in your codex. There's really no reason for such a rule to exist, because to choose a spec outside of your codex would be idiotic. Incidentally, I checked card rulings, and mechanic rulings as well, and saw no restrictions of the kind you're suggesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Quacko wrote:
So played my first game last night and ended up with a few questions that I think I know most of the answers but I would like to be more confident.

1. If you kill a hero does that mean all of your heroes or just 1? It says in the rulebook hero goes up two levels so it wasn't clear.

2. I know you can attack exhausted cards but when you do, do exhausted cards do damage back?

I appreciate help.

1. Question is unclear, but here goes: If one of your opponent's heroes dies, one of your heroes will gain two levels. If you have multiple heroes in play, only one gains levels, but you choose active player chooses. If you have no heroes in play, too bad.

2. Units being attacked will always deal damage to the attacker, unless:

** Attacker with flying attacks a unit without flying or anti-air
** Attacker with swift strike deals enough damage to kill
** Pretty sure those are the only exceptions? Did I miss any?

3. No. As long as you can get past the patrol line, you can attack anything with hit points on your opponent's side.

EDIT: Slight clarification on 1. Opponent's hero could die on his turn, you never make choices on your opponent's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Schulz
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:
Mr Quacko wrote:

I appreciate help.

1. Question is unclear, but here goes: If one of your opponent's heroes dies, one of your heroes will gain two levels. If you have multiple heroes in play, only one gains levels, but you choose active player chooses. If you have no heroes in play, too bad.

2. Units being attacked will always deal damage to the attacker, unless:

** Attacker with flying attacks a unit without flying or anti-air
** Attacker with swift strike deals enough damage to kill
** Pretty sure those are the only exceptions? Did I miss any?

3. No. As long as you can get past the patrol line, you can attack anything with hit points on your opponent's side.

EDIT: Slight clarification on 1. Opponent's hero could die on his turn, you never make choices on your opponent's turn.

1. You answered it. I was saying if I have two heroes out and I kill a hero of my opponent do I get two levels on one hero, or on both of my heroes. Sounds like the correct is one hero.

2. Thank you that is what I thought. Just wanted to clarify since it is different than other games of this type.

3. Thank you again, that is consistent with what I understood.

Clarification question- so if I were playing and had two heroes out, then my opponent had his hero die on his turn he would pick which hero received the two levels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:

2. Is it true that I can make tech 1 units from any spec no matter what my tech choice is?

To follow up on the others' answers: the reason that Tech I units have a spec to begin with is that if you're making a multicolor codex, you can only include the Tech I units of the specs in your codex. e.g., if you decided to go [Anarchy]/Finesse/Feral (just for sake of example; I don't know if this multicolor is any good, lol), you wouldn't have access to Lobber or Firebat, because those are Fire Tech I's, and your codex doesn't include the Fire spec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Quacko wrote:
Clarification question- so if I were playing and had two heroes out, then my opponent had his hero die on his turn he would pick which hero received the two levels?

Correct. He could, for instance, pick the one that will be easier for him to kill. Also, if he causes you to max out a hero with a maxband ability that would involve a decision (like Garth's "put a unit into play"), the ability just doesn't happen at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Long Range attacking something without Long Range will also not take any damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
tilouboy wrote:
VirtualAlex wrote:

[Marauder]: The point of boosting him is to trash an opponent's worker, but you could trash your own if you want. — Sirlin

Every card that says "sacrifice" can do this to an opponent, except those that specifically restrict the effect to "your" or "friendly" card(s)?

Does that also count for other effects that don't mention "you(r)" or "friendly"? And if not all of them, which don't count?

I still have to play my first game. I've only read the rules, trying to understand the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex misremembered the card text. Marauder says "trash a worker," not "sacrifice." You can only sacrifice things you control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Oh.... Okay. Well, that's a difference indeed.

What about other effects? Do they always affect every player if it doesn't mention that player? If not, then that can be a bit confusing with all those keywords, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.