Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Where to Start with Marvel Dice Masters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am intrigued by this game and I am a long-time comic book fan. If I decide to take the plunge and give this game a try, should I just start with Civil War starter pack since it is the newest version? Or, is one of the older sets better? Advice on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As long as your not a completionist I would suggest getting which every starter appeals to you. Once you confirm you like the mechanics of the game I would buy a common and uncommon set of cards/dice for variety and leave it at that. Otherwise the game becomes a money pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
When I first bought the game I got 2 different starter packs and then went on coolstuffinc and bought the specific dice I wanted and ended it there. Spent less then $30 and have plenty to play with.

Unfortunately the game has gotten stale for me. I'm not excited to play it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the information! Where does one buy a complete set of common/uncommon cards and dice? (Is that a retail purchase or something you buy from another player?) Is that different than buying a 10-pack Gravity Feed Booster? (Which I guess is somewhat random in terms of what you get, correct?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Did you play it a lot and get bored with it or did you get bored with it quickly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played it a lot and then got bored with it. I got annoyed with how frequently new sets were being released and the cost of keeping up with the latest set. You can find common/uncommon sets on ebay. CoolStuffInc does a good job on singles. Wizkids will take all the money you want to throw at this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:
Thanks for the information! Where does one buy a complete set of common/uncommon cards and dice? (Is that a retail purchase or something you buy from another player?) Is that different than buying a 10-pack Gravity Feed Booster? (Which I guess is somewhat random in terms of what you get, correct?)

Ebay has common/uncommon sets for around 25. Starter sets are around 15. Message me if you're interested and I can put together a starter and a mostly complete (like two or three cards short) common and uncommon set for 25. You can get individual cards and dice for .50 to a couple bucks on Coolstuffinc.

I think I have have War of Light, Age of Ultron, and Justice League.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frazee
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have been playing and collecting the game since day one. Starting with Civil War isn't a bad way to go if you like the characters involved because the games rules/wording has improved with each release. On the flipside, I'd also recommend hunting down an Avengers vs. X-Men or Justice League starter just for their basic action cards because they're more straightforward. Otherwise, CoolstuffInc. as mentioned is an excellent place to pickup those characters that you love and want in the game, DC vs Marvel or a mashup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Just so I am following.....the complete common/uncommon sets that are sold on eBay are sets that have been compiled by somebody but they are not sold that way in the retail marketplace?

Is there a place that lists what characters are included in each starter set?

Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frazee
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:
Just so I am following.....the complete common/uncommon sets that are sold on eBay are sets that have been compiled by somebody but they are not sold that way in the retail marketplace?

Yup.

RoccoTerrier wrote:

Is there a place that lists what characters are included in each starter set?

Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information.

TheReservePool.com is a great online resource. Also, if you have an Android phone the Transition Zone app is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I bought the Uncanny starter set and a gravity feed of 90 packs so around $80 all together. Considering I'm never going to play in a tournament and I don't really care which cards I might be missing this probably was not the most economical way to go. However, you should not underestimate the fun of opening 90 booster packs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am thinking about a starter set and a set of 10 booster packs. I may want to mix Marvel with DC. Did you like the Uncanny set? So far, my favorite Marvel set may be the original Avengers v X-men, but that seems difficult to track down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
RoccoTerrier wrote:
So far, my favorite Marvel set may be the original Avengers v X-men, but that seems difficult to track down.
Booster packs of AvX are indeed difficult to find, and expensive.

Another option is to search eBay for folks selling collections. I've seen some great deals to be had there if you're willing to look around a bit. Although your plan of a starter and a few boosters is probably better to start with. Then start scoping eBay later if you get the collector bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I thoroughly enjoy the game, it did become a money pit for me (I allowed it to become one), tracking down everything in which I had an interest.

I've subsequently learned that isn't necessary, and the 24 teams I've compiled (8 cards, 20 dice each) is more than sufficient. Of course, it took reading the text for every card in every deck (as found online) to acquaint myself with the cards I wanted for my teams -- and that is time consuming.

You can find starter sets available online. Most of them, are still relatively cheap. In my opinion, the best (and many of the most powerful) cards are from the first set (AvX).

If you go the route of purchasing individual cards (which I've found to generally be the most affordable from Coolstuff), you will need the appropriate amount of dice from each. (Coolstuff sells one die with one card, so if you want 2 Giant Man: Original Avenger cards, you will need to buy two of the cheapest card variant of that character from that set to get the number of dice you desire.)

My recommendation would be to begin with a starter set (or two) until you find out whether or not you like the game. Then, if you want to go the route of building teams, seek the specific cards (with their dice) you want. No more no less.

Don't go overboard, though, like I did -- learning too late that I didn't need all I what I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone. I ended up purchasing a set that is the starter set plus most of the common/uncommon cards for Avengers v X-Men. I am waiting for the delivery and excited to play the game. Thanks for all of the helpful information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.